Click Here!

Snake_King's Story Discussion Thread

Snake_King

Okay then.  I just got a little confused there for a minute.  Sorry.  And yeah, it is done quite a bit.  I’ve seen it done with lots of Naruto crossover fanfics.

So, would this be multiple one shots or a collection of one shots?

2 minutes ago, Praetor said:

Best dimension hopping harem I've read was Shura’s Futa Adventures, which sadly only spanned 4 chapters.

Mind providing a link?  And I’m guessing that the Shura within the story is the one from the Soul Calibur series?

3 minutes ago, Rexfan12345 said:

It's mostly one shots, I've seen a few featuring Ben 10, but it was abandoned because the writter lost interest with Ben 10 I guess, hasn't been updated since 2010

It’s understandable.  Or maybe he’s been so busy with other things in his life that he hasn’t been able to work on it.  Just a thought, and it happens.

There’s also Sonic’s Ultimate Harem on fanfiction.net but that one is an inspiring level of awful.  Its rip offs are actually better.  Not the same kind of awful that JayDee type stories are either, just drivel so appalling you feel bad for even being a part of this culture.  I was actually so inspired I almost stopped everything to write my own parody.

Heh, if you want to see an example of a harem fic that started off with good promise but turned bad, you should see “The Spectacular Spider-Harem” by Diablo Ex Machina on Fanfiction.net.  The idea behind it was to take up where “The Spectacular Spider-Man” cartoon left off, and then have Spidey form a harem composed of just about every female hero that Marvel has ever created or written for, including some they no longer have the rights to such as Red Sonja.  Despite the ridiculousness of that premise, it actually started out relatively enjoyable, but then quickly went downhill when the writer decided to LITERALLY turn Jesus Christ into a bad guy, and started bringing up his own far-left political beliefs, both of which completely threw me out of the story and managed to undo all the good will he’d earned from me up to that point.

When I go to read fanfiction or just read or watch fiction in general, I wish to AVOID things that discuss current politics or who thinks which religion is right or wrong, as it just brings out the worst in people since they get so heavy-handed douchey about it.  However, on the occasions where those types of things are integral to the story, and thus unavoidable, I prefer it to be done in a way that doesn’t beat the reader/viewer over the head with a message of which view is right or wrong, but rather shows the pros and cons of all sides and lets the audience decide for themselves.  That’s the more mature way of doing it, which is sadly not done enough, know what I mean?

Anyway, about Spectacular Spider-Harem, apparently it got to the point where even the writer just quit writing it because he’d lost all his steam for it, and just went on to writing something else.

I remember Diablo Ex Machina, he did a few Ben 10 fics as well, we actually spoke with each other a few times, sadly, he turned to sort of a jerk to be honest and stopped replying to me because he thought me writing sucked, he has really high standards when it comes to grammar (I'm okay, but I still trying to learn a few things) I have nothing against him though.

10 minutes ago, Rexfan12345 said:

I remember Diablo Ex Machina, he did a few Ben 10 fics as well, we actually spoke with each other a few times, sadly, he turned to sort of a jerk to be honest and stopped replying to me because he thought me writing sucked, he has really high standards when it comes to grammar (I'm okay, but I still trying to learn a few things) I have nothing against him though.

I think it would’ve been nicer if he’d just said that your writing had room for improvement and offered ways of doing so.

I think he said that he had autism, which I myself have, but that’s no excuse for anyone acting all jerky.  After all, what is better?  To just accept that you are the way you are and that you can never change, or to try and improve yourself and overcome your problems so that you can be better than what you are?

Edited by Snake_King

What do you mean Diablo Ex Machina was a far left radical satanist?  That’d be like finding out good ol’ Praetor Maximus was a firm believer in central government and territorial expansion for veteran lands.  Anyways, Sonic’s Ultimate Harem didn’t even start out good.  It sucked when he started writing it like five years ago and after 250+ chapters, has somehow not gotten better in any conceivable regard.  Horrible grammar, nonexistant plots, poor characterization, Mary Sue qualities in the lead, redundant framing device, insistence on writing in the meat of the story in italics, little to no use of setting or power perversion potential, excessive use of the word shaft, unrealistic even for the settings, it’s a mess.  I recommend reading it precisely because of how dreadful and long running it is, it’s a great counter example for a good work of fan fiction.  I seriously think I could bash out better half drunk with one hand.  Also the flame war in the comment section are the stuff of legends.

4 minutes ago, Praetor said:

What do you mean Diablo Ex Machina was a far left radical satanist?  That’d be like finding out good ol’ Praetor Maximus was a firm believer in central government and territorial expansion for veteran lands.

WHOA-WHOA-WHOA!! I didn’t say anything about him being a Satanist.  If anything, I think he might be a left-wing atheist, one who didn’t do his research right and pretty much turned his story’s version of Jesus into the embodiment of every negative religious stereotype.  I just meant that he made his own negative views on religion and conservatives very blatant and heavy-handed, which threw me out of his story since I don’t think that a fanfic that is available for anyone to read is an appropriate place for that kind of thing.

However, yeah, I get what you’re saying about Sonic’s Ultimate Harem being bad.  I’m guessing it’s not even in the “so bad, it’s good” territory?

4 minutes ago, Praetor said:

Nope, just horrid.  No perverse entertainment value at all, you get better fap material from a car manual.  It’s not even good enough for me to feel insulted by the bastardization of my favourite characters.

Wow!  That sounds pretty bad.

I didn’t know you were a Sonic fan, or does it include characters from other franchises?

I have only the most passing of familiarity with Sonic but I am pretty sure he is out of character here.  Sonic is the lead and each chapter features a babe from something else that is so poorly stitched together I don’t even see how the settings are still merged.  Rogue was in the first one, Ivy showed up somewhere else, he did all of the Overwatch girls, Tanya I think was the latest.

Oh, I see.

You know, when it comes to bad fics that are only somewhat enjoyable, a common story formula I’ve seen in Naruto fics tends to involve trying to make Naruto seem more “badass” by turning him into what we would consider a douchebag.  One example that comes to mind is this:

"Naruto turns against the Leaf Village and gets revenge on everyone that abused him". Or, more accurately, "Naruto turns against the Leaf Village and kills the characters that the author doesn't like and spares the characters the author likes."

Another type of common story that can fit in with the one above is this, “evil badass takes-no-shit harem master Naruto.”  This I heard of this one shot that severely deconstructs this type of characterization called “The Gentry,” which can be found on fanfiction.net. 

In it, the author shows that that there is no way any of the characters would act the way most writers depict them in these types of stories.  The Gentry, used somewhat as analogues of the  writers of these kinds of stories, pretty much manipulated Naruto's entire life to suit their own needs and shift his life to their vision, corrupting his "pure" self. They manipulated Naruto's hearing so that he heard nothing but hate from his comrades, they manipulated the minds of all the adults so that they could have "hated Naruto all along" or as the "stereotypical evil council", and the harem? Manipulated their minds so that they would "love" Naruto and not even mean it to drown in physical pleasure without any true emotional meaning. And even worse, its not going to end with Naruto. They are manipulating other worlds described as the parodies of other fandom clichés.

If you want an official version of where characters don’t act the way they did originally, I could tell you all sorts of stuff about IDW Publishing’s comic book version of Transformers, both good and bad.

I read a Harry Potter fic with that premise, stopped reading immediately.  The ‘best’ face heel turn hero villain story I read was Paying For his Pedastal, a novel length work that ruined fanfiction for me because I know it will take a herculean effort to match, much less exceed.  Sonic’s Harem doesn't have a consistent or deep enough plot in any of its episodes to even fit a bad writing cliche trope.  Two thirds of the women straight up say they’ve gone a good while without sex before taking the hedgehog to their hotel room and jumping his bones.

Which premise are you referring to?

I think I read a little of “Paying For His Pedestal” a while back, but never read it fully.  Isn’t that one where Harry raped Cho Chang?

Oh I see.  Well, the one in “The Gentry” was actually trying to point out how stupid that kind of thing is, and was essentially poking sadistic fun at fanfic authors who write “evil badass takes-no-shit harem master Naruto” stories.  Although, I’m certain those types of stories can be found in the fanfics of other fandoms as well.

Also, care to hear me gripe about something for a little bit?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.