Click Here!

Snake_King's Story Discussion Thread

Snake_King

I don't really like dimension hopping stories for that reason.  The only one I ever got into was Shura’s futa adventures.  In the case of the MK crossover, they’lost be spending a lot of time in encampments living in woods and caves and such as they expand their influence and set up bases of operations, again, special forces stuff, and during those times out alone in the wilderness in slums is where the magic happens.

My second big issue is that (as weird as it sounds) I actually don't like Ben 10 that much.  It's a cool show and I like how it's evolved over a decade but I don't find the character particularly interesting and his power (monster forms) doesn't really work with a lot of settings. I'm also tired of writing him as I have Omniharem and I want to do a younger Ben story.  To the point where I am considering swapping him in this story for someone that fits the Mortal Kombat setting and Special Forces mission better, like… I dunno, Snake?  Rex?  Neji?

33 minutes ago, Rexfan12345 said:

I had some ideas, maybe make each universe a story arc, with development of the girls, it might be a really long story and if they want they can choose 3 world's instead.

That would make more sense in terms of development, and you are correct about that making it a longer story, but it just depends on how it is written.

14 minutes ago, Praetor said:

I don't really like dimension hopping stories for that reason.  The only one I ever got into was Shura’s futa adventures.  In the case of the MK crossover, they’lost be spending a lot of time in encampments living in woods and caves and such as they expand their influence and set up bases of operations, again, special forces stuff, and during those times out alone in the wilderness in slums is where the magic happens.

My second big issue is that (as weird as it sounds) I actually don't like Ben 10 that much.  It's a cool show and I like how it's evolved over a decade but I don't find the character particularly interesting and his power (monster forms) doesn't really work with a lot of settings. I'm also tired of writing him as I have Omniharem and I want to do a younger Ben story.  To the point where I am considering swapping him in this story for someone that fits the Mortal Kombat setting and Special Forces mission better, like… I dunno, Snake?  Rex?  Neji?

Well, if you’re tired of writing Ben at the moment, it is understandable that you would want to take a break, so we won’t hold that against you.  I’m guessing that the “Snake” you’re referring to is from the Metal Gear Solid series?  I didn’t really like Neji enough to make him a protagonist to be honest, but you’re free to do that if you choose.  I think Rex might be a better choice, as it would be interesting to see the science of his background clash with the Mysticism of the MK Universe.

Also, and I apologize if this makes me sound like a whiny asshole, but I’m guessing that the lack of response to my Kushina Naruto Harem idea means that yes, no one is interested.  It is a bit disappointing for me, but not altogether unexpected.  I can’t force you guys to do anything you don’t want to, and I won’t try to.  Just remember, this is still MY forum.

I honestly missed it since I have been using my phone for these discussions.  I don’t have much to offer since I’ve only watched the dub that’s available on Hulu so a lot of people like Kushina and places/events are referenced I have no idea about.  Mostly just musing.  I kind of want to save Rex for a DC crossover and/or his own fic.

Ah, I see.  Sorry for my comment there, but no one else seems to be saying anything either.  Hope your keyboard is fixed and/or replaced soon.  If you need information about it, I’ll try to answer as best I can.

As for Rex being in the DC universe or his own fic, that’s understandable if that’s what you want, but it wouldn’t hurt to consider other possibilities as well.

For any anime fics that we may want to make, I think it would be best for us to put together a list of ones we like and have seen.  Here’s a list off the top of my head:

• Cowboy Bebop
  • Outlaw Star
  • Guyver: The Bio-Boosted Armor
  • Mobile Suit Gundam
  • Gundam Wing
  • Dragon Ball
  • Dragon Ball Z
  • One Piece (Casual fan of it)
  • Akiba’s Trip: The Animation
  • Naruto (haven’t seen all of it, but still found plenty of things to like, and I know enough)
  • Bleach (same as One Piece)
  • Rurouni Kenshin
  • The Big O

When I say that I’m a casual fan, I mean that I like some of the characters, concepts and designs, but am not overly familiar with every little thing there is to know about it.

Anyway, that’s my list, care to give your own?

2 hours ago, Praetor said:

I didn't know you didn't like Ben 10, I understand your opinion, eventhough I'm a fan of the series. Honestly it's the fact that CN treats it like a toy commercial at times and not a series which deserves respect. Ben can be a fun character when you get more invested with his development, but the way the writers seem to not care about how he should develop as a hero and person is a huge problem with the franchise. Sucks that you might not do a Ben 10 crossover, this site is lacking of them.

4 minutes ago, Rexfan12345 said:

I didn't know you didn't like Ben 10, I understand your opinion, eventhough I'm a fan of the series. Honestly it's the fact that CN treats it like a toy commercial at times and not a series which deserves respect. Ben can be a fun character when you get more invested with his development, but the way the writers seem to not care about how he should develop as a hero and person is a huge problem with the franchise. Sucks that you might not do a Ben 10 crossover, this site is lacking of them.

It’s true, the writers seemed to lose interest in Ben developing as a character.  In fact, that’s a trap that a lot of TV shows fall into called “flanderization,” a trope named after Ned Flanders from “the Simpsons.”

For those of you who don’t know, Flanderization is when a character’s trait gets exaggerated over time to the point where that trait is the ONLY thing that defines the character.

4 minutes ago, Snake_King said:

It’s true, the writers seemed to lose interest in Ben developing as a character.  In fact, that’s a trap that a lot of TV shows fall into called “flanderization,” a trope named after Ned Flanders from “the Simpsons.”

For those of you who don’t know, Flanderization is when a character’s trait gets exaggerated over time to the point where that trait is the ONLY thing that defines the character.

Yeah, it just sucks that they don't explore the deeper side of Ben Tennyson instead of not developing him as a character and human being, that's the problem with a lot of franchises is that they just lose interest and don't give a damn about the characters anymore. It pisses me off

Just look at Teen Titans Go for example.

1 minute ago, Rexfan12345 said:

Yeah, it just sucks that they don't explore the deeper side of Ben Tennyson instead of not developing him as a character and human being, that's the problem with a lot of franchises is that they just lose interest and don't give a damn about the characters anymore. It pisses me off

Just look at Teen Titans Go for example.

Yeah, and from what I’ve heard, the main guy who was in charge of “Teen Titans Go” knows that what he put out was stupid, but that’s because he’s a firm believer in the “Viewers Are Morons” trope, where they think that anyone and everyone who watches TV is stupid.

And what’s your anime list?

Huh, forgot about GXP, that was actually funny.

Haven’t seen One Punch Man, Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure, Eureka Seven or Deadman Wonderland.

If you want to see a silly, wackier version of an action series done right, then I’d recommend checking out “Rock Lee & His Ninja Pals,” which is more or less a parody of Naruto, but a HELL of a lot better to watch than Teen Titans Go.  You can find the dub on Hulu, KissAnime, and Watch Cartoons Online.

Well, I admit that part of that show’s problem is that it indulges a lot of filler-related episodes. As in stuff that's thrown in in order to stretch the episodes out, but if you removed it, it wouldn't hurt the plot. DBZ had this problem as well, and so do a lot of other anime.

48 minutes ago, Snake_King said:

Well, I admit that part of that show’s problem is that it indulges a lot of filler-related episodes. As in stuff that's thrown in in order to stretch the episodes out, but if you removed it, it wouldn't hurt the plot. DBZ had this problem as well, and so do a lot of other anime.

I agree, even cartoons suffer that a lot as well which is a reason why I like to read fan fiction more than canon these days. 

Edited by Rexfan12345

Yeah, fanfiction can provide a more fun alternative to some of the canon, though at the same time, I don't think that canon should be ignored entirely.

And sometimes it's not the writers’ fault that the story turned out the way it did. One example that comes to mind is The Legend of Korra.

For those of you who don't know, what happened was that the ATLA creators pitched the idea of Korra to the Nickelodeon executives, who were initially dismissive of it because they believed that their only audience was of the young boy demographic, and that said young boys wouldn't get behind the idea of a teenage girl as the main hero in an action series. Although, to be fair, it's PARTLY justified because female characters are not always written well. Regardless, because of the success of ATLA, the Nick execs gave the green light for Korra...but only as a 12-episode mini-series. And then, when production was finished and it was too late to go back and change anything, the Avatar creators showed the first episode of Korra to the Nick execs, who liked it so much that they green lit it for another 3 seasons...ones that the creators and writers hadn't planned on. Had they been told to do Korra with more than one season from the get-go, it's likely we’d have gotten a different show altogether.

And while I like most of Korra, the show has a lot of problems and it shows that they went into it without a plan. Honestly, I would like to have seen how the show would've turned out had they been told to do more than one season from the start.

I honestly didn't know that, pretty cool stuff there to be honest, I actually did like Legend of Korra as well, proves that a female lead can be just as successful as a male one. It reminds me of what happened with Ben 10 Alien Force, with it being originally called Ben 10 Hero Generation which originally had grown up versions of Ben and Gwen as mentors for young alien heroes.

Edited by Rexfan12345

I think I heard something like that about Alien Force a while back. And yeah I liked Korra for the most part, and she's one of my favorite female characters. However that bit with her Asami at the end, to be honest, I don't feel like there was enough of a buildup for that. It's just how I feel.

Anyway, it's pretty amazing how production has an effect on the work, as well as what could have been. Same applies to other forms of media. Interesting what almost became of Venom from Spider-Man.

Filler isn't necessarily bad.  The kind in DBZ is usually funny and even in Naruto, which was more filler than substance, it was some of the better parts.  Typically with Anime the problem is they are based on Manga and those are the cumulative efforts of one artist bashing out works at their own pace while Anime has studios on tight release schedules.  So they catch up quick and have to fill in the blanks.  Or in the case of Fullmetal Alchemist, just kind of make things up and jump the rails, then make a new series once the manga is complete.

Still, that doesn't explain why the first season of Korra, which was written as a short season without any deadlines or agendas, sucked…

Anyways, my favourite Anime are

Fullmetal Alchemist

Inuyasha

Dragon Ball (franchise)

Sailor Moon

Highschool D+D

High school of the Dead

but I have a passing familiarity with many more.

Rock Lee and his Ninja Pals is hilarious and I never said I didn't like Ben 10, just that I don't think he or the show is the greatest in recent memory and is not a favourite character to write.

33 minutes ago, Praetor said:

Filler isn't necessarily bad.  The kind in DBZ is usually funny and even in Naruto, which was more filler than substance, it was some of the better parts.  Typically with Anime the problem is they are based on Manga and those are the cumulative efforts of one artist bashing out works at their own pace while Anime has studios on tight release schedules.  So they catch up quick and have to fill in the blanks.  Or in the case of Fullmetal Alchemist, just kind of make things up and jump the rails, then make a new series once the manga is complete.

Still, that doesn't explain why the first season of Korra, which was written as a short season without any deadlines or agendas, sucked…

Fullmetal Alchemist

Inuyasha

Dragon Ball (franchise)

Sailor Moon

Highschool D+D

High school of the Dead

Rock Lee and his Ninja Pals is hilarious and I never said I didn't like Ben 10, just that I don't think he or the show is the greatest in recent memory and is not a favourite character to write.

I understand, I don't want to feel like writing a character you are not into, I've been trying find some other writers willing to write my Ben 10 challenges, but it seems no one is interested in my ideas at all. 

Really just want more hetero Ben 10 fics because of all that horrid yaoi that has taken up so much of the archive.

46 minutes ago, Praetor said:

Fullmetal Alchemist

Inuyasha

Dragon Ball (franchise)

Sailor Moon

Highschool D+D

High school of the Dead

Yeah, filler can be good if done right, and I’ve heard about that disparity between creating the anime and the manga.  I heard the same thing that happened with Fullmetal Alchemist happened with Hellsing.

As for Korra, it’s like I said, they initially made the first season with the idea that they were only making a 12-episode mini-series, so they had a lot to cram in and very little time, which is why a lot of things were rushed.

I’ve seen part of Fullmetal Alchemist, but haven’t seen Brotherhood.

Saw bits and pieces of Inuyasha, but have heard enough from people to get an idea of what it’s about.

I did see some of Sailor Moon on Toonami when I was a kid, though I never got to see how it ended.  Never saw Highschool D+D, though I am considering checking it out.

I did however see High School of the Dead from start to finish, and it’s one of those things when I’m glad I saw it but don’t think it’s great, with some moments hitting it out of the park, and others not even making it up to bat.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.