Click Here!

New Review Emails

Deadman

Hey, so… I asked about this previously although I can’t seem to find the topic to reply to for some reason.

I asked about getting an email when I receive new reviews on the archive for my stories. I was told to go to my profile, update my information to confirm emails, which I did.

Since then, I got a new review and I did not receive an email. Just curious what’s that about. What I can do to potentially fix it, if anything.

I can’t edit that particular option on archive profiles, unfortunately. Maybe @manta2g or @DemonGoddess would be able to turn that on for you—it might be one of the bits of profile data that is currently not working properly.

21 hours ago, BronxWench said:

I can’t edit that particular option on archive profiles, unfortunately. Maybe @manta2g or @DemonGoddess would be able to turn that on for you—it might be one of the bits of profile data that is currently not working properly.

No worries, I only really like the fact of getting an email because my weekend access to internet isn’t great. Which means that I would love to know what to do on Monday.

15 hours ago, manta2g said:

One of the few hiccups I'm working on... partly due to some email providers treating it as spam.

I think it’s not just this site that’s having the problem. The other site FF is constantly asking me to confirm that it’s okay to get emails from them because email providers are doing this too. Not sure how I can fix this on the provider side.

14 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

I’ll redirect your attention to the fact you got a review!  :congratualtions:

Yes, I’m well aware. But as I mentioned, I love getting emails because I can check them when my internet sucks.

On 11/22/2023 at 4:09 PM, DemonGoddess said:

The problem I’ve noticed, is even when a user white lists our mail server, we STILL get marked as spam.  Not always, but often enough for it to be an ongoing issue.

Yeah, makes you wonder exactly what the email providers are up to. Especially since it’s not just us.

On 11/23/2023 at 5:52 PM, Desiderius Price said:

No spam filters for me!  (Surprisingly, spam’s not a huge problem either.)

Well that’s good. What’s weird is that I literally get no emails whatsoever from certain fanfic sites. Usually when it goes to spam, it shows up in spam. But these days it doesn’t even go there. It’s just a non-existent email that the site says they’re sending and it gets bounced back.

55 minutes ago, Deadman said:

Well that’s good. What’s weird is that I literally get no emails whatsoever from certain fanfic sites. Usually when it goes to spam, it shows up in spam. But these days it doesn’t even go there. It’s just a non-existent email that the site says they’re sending and it gets bounced back.

Should say that on the flip side, I think my sending hits spam filters too, because I’ll send w/o replies.  Depends on whatever “features” the mail provider’s got enabled (and maybe you can’t disable).

(Basically, I co-run the family mail server, so that’s why I know I don’t have spam filters.  But it also leads to gmail or other providers liking to mark us “spam” because we didn’t pay the latest “please we’re not spam” extortion racket.)

2 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

Should say that on the flip side, I think my sending hits spam filters too, because I’ll send w/o replies.  Depends on whatever “features” the mail provider’s got enabled (and maybe you can’t disable).

(Basically, I co-run the family mail server, so that’s why I know I don’t have spam filters.  But it also leads to gmail or other providers liking to mark us “spam” because we didn’t pay the latest “please we’re not spam” extortion racket.)

Well it’s funny, for this site I use Yahoo mail but for another site I use a different one and I get emails from this forum but not the main archive. For other sites, I don’t get  any emails at all. Although occasionally I can get them, but then it stops again.

2 hours ago, Deadman said:

Well it’s funny, for this site I use Yahoo mail but for another site I use a different one and I get emails from this forum but not the main archive. For other sites, I don’t get  any emails at all. Although occasionally I can get them, but then it stops again.

Some email clients, like Microsoft and Yahoo, have filters in place that can erroneously mark incoming mail as spam. When we sent out the emails to our members about the recent reactivation, Yahoo delayed or simply rejected an enormous number of our emails. There were also issues with the Microsoft email clients, particularly Outlook and Hotmail. So not receiving review emails, when that feature is up and running properly again, might require tweaking your email settings.

On 11/22/2023 at 3:09 PM, DemonGoddess said:

The problem I’ve noticed, is even when a user white lists our mail server, we STILL get marked as spam.  Not always, but often enough for it to be an ongoing issue.

My AFF reviews always end up in the spam folder. For me, the issue seems to be that review emails don’t come from “noreply@adult-fanfiction.org”; they come from “noreply@adult-fanfiction.orgMIME-Version: 1.0.” I’ve tried adding this address to my contacts list, but Hotmail tells me that it isn’t a valid email address and therefore won’t let me make a contact for it.

The “MIME-Version 1.0” portion shouldn’t appear. The emails should come from just “noreply@adult-fanfiction.org” so perhaps that’s something in the code that needs tweaking?

1 hour ago, BronxWench said:

The “MIME-Version 1.0” portion shouldn’t appear. The emails should come from just “noreply@adult-fanfiction.org” so perhaps that’s something in the code that needs tweaking?

Hopefully that is a potential fix.

I hope so too! It looks like either a space of a line return went missing somewhere. I’m 99% code-stupid, but I’ve done some very minor programming review for fire alarm panels (don’t ask!) and a dropped space or line return could screw the entire program, necessitating a line-by-line review.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.