Click Here!

Romance Author has wordmark on "Cocky" and is issuing takedown notices when others use it in titles

https://twitter.com/Ceilidhann/status/992512485528932353

So for the question/debate

1. D’ya think that’s a bit cheeky? or… cocky?
  2. Just how much do you think I now want to write a romantic novel with cocky in the title? It can’t be a take off on hers ‘cos I’d never even heard of her before this
  3. Wonder if it’s some kind of publicity stunt?
  4. There is no point 4.
Edited by JayDee

If this author has a trade/wordmark on “Cocky”, then they have to defend it or lose it, that’s the nature of trademarks.  Now, some firms do it with grace, Jack Daniels is one that comes to mind.  In this particular instance, I do think having the trademark is a bit cocky, but if you’ve got a series, you have to trademark something distinctive about it.  (ie “Harry Potter”).  For romance, “Cocky” would certainly be in the list of candidates … is “Sexy” trademarked? 

I think some people are definitely hoping to garner publicity for a novel that most likely is cocky enough to promise more than it can deliver, which I find exceedingly cheeky. :P

Wow. I just woke up so wut r werds, but wow. Very first thing that came to mind was “fuck you, now I’m gonna write a romance with cocky in the title” too. There’s like a million books titled “Alone” and somehow the suspense reading community doesn’t implode. I remember looking for a series called Raised by Wolves, and finding a million other books, but I was able to purchase the right one by looking at the authors name. If your title is distinct, sure, but then trademark the whole thing. You shouldn’t be able to trademark a single word that exists in the dictionary. It’s just greedy and mean. And I kinda wanna debate point 4. 

15 hours ago, JayDee said:

https://twitter.com/Ceilidhann/status/992512485528932353

So for the question/debate

1. D’ya think that’s a bit cheeky? or… cocky?  I call ballsy to the nth.  Far beyond cocky.
  2. Just how much do you think I now want to write a romantic novel with cocky in the title? It can’t be a take off on hers ‘cos I’d never even heard of her before this Even more than I want to write anything with Cocky in the title
  3. Wonder if it’s some kind of publicity stunt?   Absolutely a snowflake, crybaby publicity stunt
  4. There is no point 4.  She needs spanked by a cocky lawyer who actually has a brain.

Can you say DESPERATE MARKETING PLOY?

The writer in me is like, I don’t even write romance but I kinda want to now for the express purpose of stirring the pot.

The marketer in me is like, weirdly impressed. Hey, it’s hard out here for a bitch :D

3 minutes ago, KassX said:

Can you say DESPERATE MARKETING PLOY?

The writer in me is like, I don’t even write romance but I kinda want to now for the express purpose of stirring the pot.

The marketer in me is like, weirdly impressed. Hey, it’s hard out here for a bitch :D

A failed romance involving a writer that wordmarked the word “Cocky”?

16 hours ago, CloverReef said:

And I kinda wanna debate point 4. 

Point 4 was left intentionally blank. And unintentionally mysterious.

Also, some more info including an interesting point about the font apparantly having T&Cs that it can’t be trademarked. Well I thought it was interesting.

http://www.pajiba.com/think_pieces/cocky-writer-romance-author-faleena-hopkins-trademarks-cocky-and-tries-to-shut-down-others-using-the-word.php

10 hours ago, BronxWench said:

I made the mistake of checking out our cocky friend, and I urge you all not to do it. Seriously. Talk about ego?

I now follow the author dedicated to fighting her on Twitter, so I can follow the insanity without adding to her follower count. So I can be amused/baffled/angry daily. 

• 1 month later...