Click Here!

To Nano or not to Nano

pittwitch

I've never done it, and I doubt I ever will. I enjoy taking my time too much to enjoy feeling harried to churn out pages of dross, simply because I have to write something, anything. I'd find the process unsatisfying, and the end result deeply unsatisfying. I envy those who can do it and not pump out garbage, though. My hat is off to you!

I'm dong my 5th NaNo. Yes, insane as that sounds, I need the discipline of that deadline. Last year's NaNo is being published in February 2015 by Torquere Press, and the really amusing thing is that I should be getting the first runs of edits somewhere around the middle to end of November. :blink:

I'm probably going to do another likely Torquere submission. I'd started outlining a story, took a half-hearted poke at writing the beginning, and then got lost in research. Who knew Wales in the 4th Century CE was so damned fascinating? :D So, with a working title of "The Hawthorn Prince" and a prologue to inspire me, I'm ready. :D

My hat's off to you both!

I can't abide the pressure myself.

BW - I too get lost in the research and completely forget what I was looking for in the first place!

I don't see it as pressure. I see it as a form of discipline. I know I need 1,667 words a day to make the goal, but I also know that word count widgets can vary, and I hate last minute hysteria, so I shoot for more. 2,500 words a day, to be precise. I'm lucky enough to be able to work at home, which means that I can carve out time for writing. This lets me treat my writing like a proper job, and so it is. The more I publish, the more of a real job it becomes, so I need to be serious about it.

I'm considering it. I've never done it before, because I never had a novel I wanted to write, but this year, I do. I'm not sure I can handle the time commitment, but it's not like I'm going to have a month in the next 2 to 3 years when that concern will be any less, so maybe I should just go for it.

There's no downside. If you make the 50k words, you pat yourself on the back and have a first draft to work with. If not, you have what you'e written which can be cleaned up a bit and continued.

I compromised with my inner Grammar Bitch . We can spellcheck, but we can't rewrite and tweak and polish until after November 30. I'd never finish otherwise, I assure you, but I have finished for the past four years, and I'll finish this year, too. :)

And if you do decide to do it, and want to buddy, I'm MorwenNavarre. :D

I compromised with my inner Grammar Bitch .

You know, I think she taught my eight-grade English class. :)

We can spellcheck, but we can't rewrite and tweak and polish until after November 30. I'd never finish otherwise, I assure you, but I have finished for the past four years, and I'll finish this year, too. :)

Yeah, trying to write and rewrite at the same time is death. There's no way I'll be able to keep up with the word count if I don't freewrite shamelessly.

Well, I decided to go for it and signed up for the site. I don't quite know how the buddy thing works, though.

I participated for the first time last year. Didn't get the goal but I was happy to get a story out of my mind and finally in a document. I'll call that a small victory!

I debated not to participate this year because, well, November is such a hectic month for me! But, everywhere I went, everyone was talking about it. It trapped me; I'm doing it again this year! More people in my actual region are serious about write-ins; I'm hoping that those would help out! The closest write-ins last year were more than an hour away...

Okay, because...

My publisher moved my upcoming book to a new editor, and guess what? I'm getting the first round of edits on November 3.

Yes, I will be doing NaNo while working on edits for my new book. This is because I am crazy. I am so crazy.

I am going to be making lists of what the lazy slugs in my house will be doing while I work. Because, yes, this is work. I have 2 teenagers and a daft one that are all quite capable of handling rudimentary tasks, like putting things in the damned dishwasher, or making a damned bed. Or even putting away their own clean laundry. They know where to FIND the clean clothing, so putting it where they usually find it shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

And I have wine. If they piss me off enough, I'll order another case... :D

Done!

I am going to be making lists of what the lazy slugs in my house will be doing while I work. Because, yes, this is work. I have 2 teenagers and a daft one that are all quite capable of handling rudimentary tasks, like putting things in the damned dishwasher, or making a damned bed. Or even putting away their own clean laundry. They know where to FIND the clean clothing, so putting it where they usually find it shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Teenagers need laundry exposure. I was shielded from laundry responsibilities far too much when I was growing up, so when I got to college, I had barely a clue about how to wash or fold anything, let alone iron.

As for my household: My wife will probably be fairly understanding. But hard as I try, I have yet to convince even one of my four cats to clean their own litter boxes. :)