Click Here!

I'm new to this any tips

Guest parm

'This' being... writing?

If so: read. A lot. Seriously. Read a lot of books. It'll help.

Also, learn how to spell and how to use capitalisation and punctuation. It'll make everything seem cleaner and more readable.

Other than that, I'm not really an expert on helping people, so maybe others should take over here.

there's tons of essays out there on clarity, plot, characterizations etc that would be of great use. Collaboration helps too (ie, talking to someone about their impression of things). Write write write write. Keep a journal (a tad different from a diary) we were conscripted into its use when taking that "Creative Writing" course many many years ago. We had to hand them in to be marked and everything. It was a pain, but nevertheless, you can explore different styles and stuff.

Read stories and genres that differ from what you are trying to write. You'd be surprised what you can learn reading mysteries, smut or even chemistry textbooks that will help in writing fantasy (for example).

For me it helps to write a plan before a chapter or a fic, but its terrible if I have to depend on it or stick to it.

I find that talking to others in your fandom is very helpful (of course, this is slightly more difficult if you're working in the world of original works), and brainstorm, brainstorm, brainstorm! If a vague idea pops into your head, its amazing how quickly it can fill out by following your own stream of consciousness.

Tips...

Did ya hear about the leper who visited a prostitute?

He left the tip.

Copyright... hell, Mary Magdalene probably.

I got nothin' except... don't write for feedback, less'n you're going for lowest common denominator. Write what you want to write, write what entertains you.

I'm with Knorg. Before you pick up a pen and put it to paper (or if you're a bit more modern than me and compose with word processing), ask yourself why you wish to write, fanfiction or otherwise. Is it because you're truly interested in the craft or because it seems like a cool thing to do?

If you chose the first answer, I shall pass along a few tips now:

-If you are writing fanfiction, make sure you know your fandom forwards and backwards as far as you can. If it's a fandom that has a...ya know, ending, there's no excuse for mistakes with canon facts.

-And speaking of canon, make sure you know your stuff as you're reading the fanfiction of other authors. Getting sucked into fanon blows, this is especially relevant for the "InuYasha" fandom.

-If you wish to write shounen-ai or yaoi, research a little bit first. Get to know how a real homosexual couple interacts and not just the myths somewhat perpetuated by the mangas and animes. And for the love of god, if you're writing about an extremely noncanon, unusual pairing, give us a good background and characterization. Don't forget to brush up on the finer point of gay sex.

-Know your characters...love your characters...there's no reason to write fanfiction if all you're going to do is write the characters OOC.

(and omg, Knorg, I just got that joke. laugh.gif Evil!)

I can't tell you why you should write or how to do it because everyone's different, but I can tell you why I write. It's more along the lines of having too not wanting too. Don't get me wrong I want to write, but the more I do it the more I have to. You need a desire to do it, if you don't have it it'll show in every thing you do and people will pick up on it in a very short time.

Horrorgal has it right, you also have to know your characters and your world, especially if you are building on someone else's brain child. I can't tell you how dog eared my walk throughs are and I've actually had to buy a new copy of Final Fantasy VIII because I've played it so much.

The most important thing though is that you love what you do.

seiferandsquall4.jpg

I am so sorry!  I meant to give credit to Iggy  seiferandsquall4.jpg

Hey, I got credit for something and I wasn't even here! laugh.gif I do agree with everything Iggy said. Know the characters and story before you start writing about them. Also, write a story idea that interests you.

Personally, I would love to do a CloudXReno fic, but there are so many out there, I think I'd have a hard time coming up with something original. I especially love Iggy's Strange Bedfellows fic, It was brilliant. The author Squishy has some really great, hot RenoXCloud fics as well.

I really don't have many tips to give you, I've only been writing fics for a little under a year now. Just do your best and see where it goes. That's what I did and I get great responses for my fiction.

I am so sorry!  I meant to give credit to Iggy  sad.gif  Can you forgive me?
You're a noob, so you have only one chance to get it right.

That was it. After that, we sic the mod on you. whip.gif

I'm watching you! wink.gif

I'm not sure I can add much more to what the others have said.

I don't want to sound rude, but my first piece of advice would be to learn proper spelling and grammar. Capitals, punctuation, that sort of thing. Then start writing and applying the advice the others are giving about fandoms and characterization. If English isn't your strong point and you know it, then get a beta reader to look over your fic before posting.

Did ya hear about the leper who visited a prostitute?

He left the tip.

Copyright... hell, Mary Magdalene probably.

laugh.gif I needed a good laugh. Thanks! Now to take a page out of your book. I'm going to sit back, relax, and watch the thread.

I don't want to sound rude, but my first piece of advice would be to learn proper spelling and grammar. Capitals, punctuation, that sort of thing. Then start writing and applying the advice the others are giving about fandoms and characterization. If English isn't your strong point and you know it, then get a beta reader to look over your fic before posting

*chuckles* You know I didn't mention all that because I figured someone else would get to that. Of course sometimes I'm under the naive notion that good grammar, punctuation, and spelling in a story is a no-brainer...so yeah....

To horrorgal: Ahhh, you're going to spoil me. By all means write some RenoxCloud if you want to. Imho, there ain't enough stories out there, at least not enough good ones.