Click Here!

Am I wrong or is my grammar checker an idiot?

Ghost-of-a-Chance

There’s only so much an automated spelling and grammar checker can accomplish; sometimes their ones and zeroes get crossed and they suggest incorrect corrections. If you know already that your work is correct in that instance, it’s easy enough to just delete the flag and move on, but what about when you’re not sure? What about when you actually start questioning whether the checker’s suggestion, wrong as it sounds, might be right?

I give you the “am I wrong or is my grammar checker an idiot?” thread. Here you can post your spelling and grammar questions and – I hope! – get answers. For clarity’s sake, try to follow this form:

The sentence: Write out your sentence in its entirety.

The problem: Describe what part of that sentence has caught your checker’s attention, the proposed correction, why you think the checker might be wrong, and if possible, why it might be right.

Good luck, and I hope this thread becomes a valuable resource for those of us about to go round an’ round with our grammar checkers!

• 7 months later...