KassX

How Many Active Stories do you Have?

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, CloverReef said:

 

OMG Runnnn!!!!! :twirl::dancegirl2: (I tried to find a horror emoticons, but little kids are creepy so… yeah.) 

Those are CHILDREN? I thought they were like, really ugly strippers :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uh… *thinks* If I count everything, four stories that are actually posted online, as well as three that haven’t been and which I’ve been working on on the side off and on. Did I say the word “on” enough times? I wasn’t sure if I should count all the Word docs I have in which I've jotted down some scene or bit of dialogue that I needed to get down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw this post and was going to pass it up because it’s absolutely embarrassing how many WIPs I have that are in various stages of writing and editing, but, maybe, if I post this it will shame me into getting my butt back in gear. (sort of like when people post pics of their pets with a sign around their neck, you know?)

I have 37 WIPs and yes, I’m (sorta) working on all of them. Of those, 8 are finished and awaiting editing so they can be sent to the publisher or self published, 14 are half to three fourths finished and the others average anywhere from 3 to 6 chapters.

The sad thing about this all is that even with all these stories unfinished, I can’t stop myself from starting new ones. *hangs head in shame*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I’m DP and I thought I had a WIP habit, but @CL Mustafic beats mine.   I started focusing on Jefferey at the start of the year because I want to resolve  the outstanding WIPs before moving on the main story – however, there is one plot bunny that’s festering that I may have to work on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aww, well no one can help getting distracted by plot bunnies: they are so gosh darn cute after all :D 

Of course @CL Mustafic we expect you to finish all 37 of them!!!

As an update, I was inspired by this thread and all of you to up my WIP list to three! THREE WHOLE STORIES 

As another, unrelated update, I now hate this thread and all of you :P:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m managing to hold firm and not start any more, but my 2 most active are slightly stopped. bah humbug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KassX said:

Aww, well no one can help getting distracted by plot bunnies: they are so gosh darn cute after all :D 

Of course @CL Mustafic we expect you to finish all 37 of them!!!

As an update, I was inspired by this thread and all of you to up my WIP list to three! THREE WHOLE STORIES 

As another, unrelated update, I now hate this thread and all of you :P:P

I’m glad we’re able to inspire! :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

     Huh, looks like I have 8 posted to the archive.  I really should finish those.  Most of them are anthology type works that are only loosely connected between chapters, so in theory I could stop at any time and declare them finished or add chapters later on.  I have 5 unposted works in progress, a short list of plot bunnies, an original fantasy erotica I am developing to the side, a for fun sci fi series I may try to self publish one day, and an actual novel I want to traditionally publish in a couple decades when I finish it.  Running multiple stories at once, I think, can actually be a good thing because it prevents you from getting bored or numb to a particular work.  On the other hand, works written in proximity may end up being too similar.  Which is where I am at now, trying to distinguish one work from the next.  It doesn’t help that they are mostly challenges in the same format.  My main issue its that writing for me is ultimately a hobby and I have other things I need to do.  I’m also dissatisfied with my current level of work and feel like I am not improving enough, which doesn’t help my enthusiasm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I would like to crack open all your skulls and steal your brains and smoosh them into mine. I’m working on one. ONE. One WIP. I can’t even wrap my head around working on a second at the same time. Soooo the obvious solution is brain thievery + bio-engineering? Hm, maybe I should think this through. :alien:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CloverReef said:

I think I would like to crack open all your skulls and steal your brains and smoosh them into mine. I’m working on one. ONE. One WIP. I can’t even wrap my head around working on a second at the same time. Soooo the obvious solution is brain thievery + bio-engineering? Hm, maybe I should think this through. :alien:

Or, you could donate your brain to the cause, the zombies would very much appreciate the consideration.  (ps.  Never too early to start considering Halloween stories...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CloverReef said:

I think I would like to crack open all your skulls and steal your brains and smoosh them into mine. ... Soooo the obvious solution is brain thievery + bio-engineering? Hm, maybe I should think this through. :alien:

Yes, think it though and write it up as a story. Post it with a link to here. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a related note, here’s something I’ve started doing when I feel stuck or lack inspiration. I go through my entire list of stories (in alphabetical order) and try to do something to make progress on each one: write a couple of paragraphs, figure out a plot point, do a little research, etc. Worst case scenario, I make a little progress on all 20 stories. Best case, inspiration strikes when I’m partway through the list and I finish a whole story or chapter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

     Another thing you should do is more cardio.  No, really.  Not just as a holistic approach to wellness, though being fit is something we should all strive for and in the 1st world don’t often prioritize but because physicality is a key part of being a Renaissance Wo/Man.  Something I think we, as aspiring authors, should try to be.  Also because of what cardio does for the mind.  Something about oxygen deprivation in the brain as blood is diverted for the aerobic functions and endorphin rushes or chemical imbalances in the brain during peak exertion.  I don’t know the science but it can really get the gears turning, especially during slumps.  Most of my ideas occur during runs, but swimming is also great.  Sports are good but you tend to focus on the game more than when running, biking or swimming; where the mind is free to wander as your body is at work.  I don’t just have an inspiration window when running, it’s a full on inspiration breach of muses and plot bunnies storming in with riot shields, battering rams and those breaching charges that blast through walls.  Also, once you get your exercise done for the day, you have the rest of it to relax, recover and write while still feeling productive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Praetor said:

     Another thing you should do is more cardio.  No, really.  Not just as a holistic approach to wellness, though being fit is something we should all strive for and in the 1st world don’t often prioritize but because physicality is a key part of being a Renaissance Wo/Man.  Something I think we, as aspiring authors, should try to be.  Also because of what cardio does for the mind.  Something about oxygen deprivation in the brain as blood is diverted for the aerobic functions and endorphin rushes or chemical imbalances in the brain during peak exertion.  I don’t know the science but it can really get the gears turning, especially during slumps.  Most of my ideas occur during runs, but swimming is also great.  Sports are good but you tend to focus on the game more than when running, biking or swimming; where the mind is free to wander as your body is at work.  I don’t just have an inspiration window when running, it’s a full on inspiration breach of muses and plot bunnies storming in with riot shields, battering rams and those breaching charges that blast through walls.  Also, once you get your exercise done for the day, you have the rest of it to relax, recover and write while still feeling productive.

Makes sense. My job is very physical so I usually get a lot of ideas for progress in my fics while I’m neck deep in cat shit. Inopportune time to jot it down before I forget it tho… But still, it does help! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Praetor said:

     Another thing you should do is more cardio.  No, really.  Not just as a holistic approach to wellness, though being fit is something we should all strive for and in the 1st world don’t often prioritize but because physicality is a key part of being a Renaissance Wo/Man.  Something I think we, as aspiring authors, should try to be.  Also because of what cardio does for the mind.  Something about oxygen deprivation in the brain as blood is diverted for the aerobic functions and endorphin rushes or chemical imbalances in the brain during peak exertion.  I don’t know the science but it can really get the gears turning, especially during slumps.  Most of my ideas occur during runs, but swimming is also great.  Sports are good but you tend to focus on the game more than when running, biking or swimming; where the mind is free to wander as your body is at work.  I don’t just have an inspiration window when running, it’s a full on inspiration breach of muses and plot bunnies storming in with riot shields, battering rams and those breaching charges that blast through walls.  Also, once you get your exercise done for the day, you have the rest of it to relax, recover and write while still feeling productive.

1

IT REALLY WORKS! Hi, I’m Kass and I like taking long walks on the beach :D I get most of my ideas while I’m out walking. I’ll actually go for a walk if I have a case of writer’s block or if I need to hammer out some story stuff. And of course, more cardio is good advice in general! 

I recently was able to attend a lecture by a writer studying the creative process, and he said that our best writing and creative work comes from our subconscious brain, not our conscious brain. I’m willing to bet it has something to do with that! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now