Click Here!

restaurants help

SirGeneralSir

Guest hope this helps

If you want restaurants that serve a variety of food, there's yatai, which are mostly but not always found during festivals and are moveavle stalls. They serve things like karaage, okonomitaki, ramen, and oden and are usually in moveable stalls. The concept of a restaurant that serves a lot of different types of food is actually a pretty western one, so you didn't see it in Japan before the last century or so. If the Naruto world is based in feudal Japan, you're more likely to have restaurants that specialize in particular dishes, such as sushi-ya, soba-ya, kare-ya (that's curry), gyudon-ya, unagi-ya, etc. There might be restaurants or nice inns serving kaiseki ryori, which is kind of like a fancy meal, but they would be pricey. These days in Japan there are family restaurant chains that serve Japanese, American, and Chinese food, and they're collectively called famiresu. There are also restaurants that cater primarily to tourists that feature a lot of Japanese dishes known as shokudo.

well the naruto univers is kind of ..... odd, they have some what modern tech like cameras, TV, trains etc but also a more feudal japan style at the same time.

like i said its odd, so im just looking for a general restaurant type that would have food and be ok with having a child of 1 year in there eating or some thing

Then I'd think that the famiresu that Guest_hope this helps described would be the best way to go, don't you? That would be a general restaurant type, and the family part would mean that you could bring a small child.

Just make up a name. Call it "Kohonaresu" or "Yasashiresu" (which means Friendy Restaurant). Be creative - that's what writing is all about...

Edited by BronxWench

you don't need a name. If you describe it well enough, you won't have to give it one, giving it the atmosphere you need without having to name it. Just takes some description and such is all. Since your going for Japanese names anyway, something most won't understand to start with, description, as you pointed out to another member in the SB, is better than anything else.

Well, my obvious response is to quote Mark Twain, "Write what you know." I don't believe the quote refers to specific first hand knowledge, but to knowledge in general found through resources. No historical novel or even non-fiction work can be done without research. Nor can a modern day novel, or for that matter a futuristic novel. Research is key. That is why you see so many author's notes that thank the people who help them research to bring a book alive.

So my interpretation of the quote: If you do not know enough about a particular setting, even after research, to feel comfortable writing a description that transports the reader then you shouldn't be writing it. Google has more than enough information on any given topic that an author with enough time and effort (that is if they truly care about the outcome of their product) should be able to have enough details to write a description without naming it. In fact, that was one of the first challenges posed by an old creative writing instructor - Write a 1,000 word minimum story about a location and do not reveal the location until the final paragraph, but preferably the final sentence. We were graded on if the teacher was able to figure it out or not and how long it took her.

It is an excellent exercise and one that I have long recommended to people that struggle with description. It truly makes you stop and consider the sensory input of a location: The low murmur of people talking, the clatter of utensils on plates, scents so rich that you can taste them when you enter, etc. If you struggle writing a description, stop writing and put yourself there mentally. Scribble down what you may see, what you hear, what you feel, what you taste, what you smell as you experience them in your fantasy and then incorporate those details. Will some of it have to be imagined because you've never physically been in one? Sure - But I'm sure you've also been in enough restaurants to have enough of a general sensory input that you can fill in the blanks.

thanks for the link.

the thing is that reasearch only works when .... it works, because my first .... 5? trys i only found kinds in that X servs this and that one this etc or WHAT these foods were, not if they are meant for adults or families.

some of the foods sound good, going to have to try them, but google didnt help so ... i posted here, one of a few places i trust to get good info from ^_^

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.