Click Here!

Reviews anyone?

I guess one of the main reasons I don't get many reviews is because I don't write in a fandom with a dedicated fan base. I write original stories, which makes me wonder if people actually want to go through the trouble of trying out a new world with new characters that they have no knowledge of. Of course, in an anime, a video game, or a television show, they're stepping into a world that is familiar to them, and they don't have to venture outside their comfort zone. So really a lot of the replies here don't apply to me. I am guessing the reason reviews are lacking in my case are: 1) I really, really am not that good of a writer; 2) My stories are boring and cannot hold the readers attention; 3) The readers are too lazy to review; 4) Any combination of the previous three.

Another factor might be that people don't come to a site called "Adultfanfiction" looking for something other than fan fiction. I imagine that some people take one glance at the Originals category and think, "That makes no sense."

Another factor might be that people don't come to a site called "Adultfanfiction" looking for something other than fan fiction. I imagine that some people take one glance at the Originals category and think, "That makes no sense."

A: Yeah I had that thought several times when I heard that there was an original stories section. Took me a while to get into that part of the archive because I had no idea of what to think the first month here. I made the click that the fiction press sister site to FFnet concept was combined into this single archive after a few weeks of feeling disoriented about original stories being in a fanfiction named archive. :) Now I am able to flit between different stories in both sectors easily enough, but I had to figure out the lay out and such for the originals before I was comfortable trying to look for reading materials.

Of course I understand that; however, I do post my original stories on sites that are primarily for original fiction. And what's funny is that I got WAY more reviews for my original fiction here, on AdultFanFiction, than I ever did on FictionPress or some other place like that.

I've always liked being able to have everything on one site. That was as much a draw for me as the fact that this site was actually moderated, with staff that hung out in the shoutbox and talked to members.

Of course, that sort of led to me joining the staff, but it's all good! :D

That was as much a draw for me as the fact that this site was actually moderated, with staff that hung out in the shoutbox and talked to members.

Yes. I've never written fanfiction in my life, but I find the ratings system dubious at best on fictionpress and on other sites like Writer'sCafe there is literally nothing stopping a minor from reading graphic violence, and smut including rape.

Nope.

Nope, nope, nope.

Yes. I've never written fanfiction in my life, but I find the ratings system dubious at best on fictionpress and on other sites like Writer'sCafe there is literally nothing stopping a minor from reading graphic violence, and smut including rape.

Nope.

Nope, nope, nope.

The ratings system here is dubious. Any system that can be skewed by anonymous votes up and down is inherently flawed.

As far as minors reading things they shouldn't. as we've all said countless times, parental supervision is a large part of that. My kids' computers are in the living room so I know where they go. I've always monitored them. That's part of being a parent. If you want to be your kid's friend, you need to first be their parent and teach them what they'll need to know in life, like obeying rules and not indulging in inappropriate behavior.

As far as minors reading things they shouldn't. as we've all said countless times, parental supervision is a large part of that. My kids' computers are in the living room so I know where they go. I've always monitored them. That's part of being a parent. If you want to be your kid's friend, you need to first be their parent and teach them what they'll need to know in life, like obeying rules and not indulging in inappropriate behavior.

A: You are quite right, Bronx. Many parents refuse to take their responsibility toward their children very seriously which makes a big difference. Giving a child needed parameters that protect them from things they are not ready to face is vital to a child growing into a decent adult. Do as I say, not as I do, has never worked very well in the "Child Rearing" department. Time and again I have seen the disaster from parental permissive behavior backfiring violently most of the time when they become teenagers. Respect for the parent's dominance has never been established. Boundaries are non existent, and the teenager is next to impossible to reign in when they most need structure and balance. The children have been left to raise themselves as best they can in such situations. It is a genuine tragedy when it happens because such kids don't know about boundaries, respect, or following rules once they reach adulthood.

In my own home, my sons shared a single computer, and each had a set amount of time for internet type playing. The same applied to video games, and television programs. When the timer dinged, I shut the video game/computer system off if it took more than 5 minutes for them to comply with the rules for the video games and internet access as fun time pursuits. Television never exceeded four programs, or a single full length movie, their choice. If they skipped homework, or their grades dropped, they lost those fun privileges until their grades recovered. More than once I got scolded by other children's parents for being too strict or even downright cruel, and yet my kids have never been in the kinds of trouble their children have in recent years. Now that both of my sons are adults, they think about possible consequences before they go along with their friends schemes. Twice such thoughtful consideration has saved my younger son's life.

And in regards to making a statement about wanting honest reviews, this is from an author's profile:

I will tell you right now that if you do not like [my stories], you can leave.

(edited to remove specific detail)

And beneath that:

Remember, I appreciate honest reviews!

Contradictory much?

Honestly, as a reader, seeing that makes me click the back button very quickly. I'm not going to bother. Why? Because you're going to get offended if I do anything but fanpoodle.

With respect to the ratings system: I think, Bronx, you and Dean_Wax may be talking about two different things.

I'm fairly certain D_W is referring to the K, K+, T, M - no MA materials allowed (but they're posted anyway).

I know Bronx is referring to Average / Total Vote +++++ / 1 on our stories here.

I don't think I need to weigh in on the kiddies on site bit; fairly certain any one who's been about for at least two months in forums knows where I stand on that one. ;)

The ratings system here is dubious. Any system that can be skewed by anonymous votes up and down is inherently flawed.

Oh! Sorry, I meant something like age-appropriate ratings. Where I am it is G, PG, M, MA and R but it depends on the country. To my memory Fictionpress has something like K, T and T++ but then the age of your profile doesn't stop you from accessing content you shouldn't.

And in regards to making a statement about wanting honest reviews, this is from an author's profile:

I will tell you right now that if you do not like [my stories], you can leave.

(edited to remove specific detail)

And beneath that:

Remember, I appreciate honest reviews!

Contradictory much?

Honestly, as a reader, seeing that makes me click the back button very quickly. I'm not going to bother. Why? Because you're going to get offended if I do anything but fanpoodle.

I don't think I need to weigh in on the kiddies on site bit; fairly certain any one who's been about for at least two months in forums knows where I stand on that one. ;)

A: Very contradictory. This smacks of honest reviews equals fanpoodles to me also. The second line is the lie. I have come across a couple writers that say they like honest reviews and my review got deleted both times. They did not have the if you hate the story leave part, but I would say that this is still indicated by the tone of the profile input. **Headdesk**

I frequently start my stories with a warning along the lines of, "If you don't want to read about cartoon teens/preteens getting it on, please use your Back button now." So I wonder whether this author simply has poor communication skills and was trying to say something along the lines of, "If you don't like the CONTENT of my stories, just don't read it, instead of leaving me reviews about why you hate the 'ship I write about, how my story doesn't jibe with the Hagrid/Hermione/Fang relationship you fantasize about, or why I'm a sick bitch or son thereof."

Or, he or she could just be a dillweed.

Oh! Sorry, I meant something like age-appropriate ratings. Where I am it is G, PG, M, MA and R but it depends on the country. To my memory Fictionpress has something like K, T and T++ but then the age of your profile doesn't stop you from accessing content you shouldn't.

Ah, yes. Like the disclaimer FFN adds on that website's guidelines that MA is mentioned although not permitted simply to illustrate what is not allowed in M rated fiction. I can bet almost no one actually read that part. By then, you just want to click that you agree and post your story already. There are things there rated M that are well beyond that rating, and contain enough graphic sex, unusual; fetishes, and gratuitous violence to require nearly every tag we have. They're not in prominent fandoms, however, which means they may never get caught and purged. The hypocrisy astounds me.

I frequently start my stories with a warning along the lines of, "If you don't want to read about cartoon teens/preteens getting it on, please use your Back button now." So I wonder whether this author simply has poor communication skills and was trying to say something along the lines of, "If you don't like the CONTENT of my stories, just don't read it, instead of leaving me reviews about why you hate the 'ship I write about, how my story doesn't jibe with the Hagrid/Hermione/Fang relationship you fantasize about, or why I'm a sick bitch or son thereof."

Or, he or she could just be a dillweed.

A: Rogue was actually talking about a profile instead of a story starter, but you have the right Idea. I give very clear warnings about how dark and twisted my own stories are so people can leave without getting offended also. However, in truth I think Rogue and IO can agree that in the case of such profiles, there is an understated arrogance of such writers who say they wish one thing, yet in truth only accept fawning reviews, which the writer in question's profile specifically hints upon in the delivery of profile specific lines. The contradictory nature of the phrasing gives clues to the real intention behind the writer's mind set. :)

Ah, yes. Like the disclaimer FFN adds on that website's guidelines that MA is mentioned although not permitted simply to illustrate what is not allowed in M rated fiction. I can bet almost no one actually read that part. By then, you just want to click that you agree and post your story already. There are things there rated M that are well beyond that rating, and contain enough graphic sex, unusual; fetishes, and gratuitous violence to require nearly every tag we have. They're not in prominent fandoms, however, which means they may never get caught and purged. The hypocrisy astounds me.

A: Very well said, Bronx. Yet, when all is said and done, if there is legal pressure upon them to clean up their sites or risk penalties, it may be that the hypocrisy will get toned down for a year or so to save the owner's hide, and the site's existence. I do not doubt the same trouble will happen yet again, but for a short time, FFnet will have to continue purging stories with the help of the groups who have made it their great work to report all of those very adult and graphic rated stories.