2 carrots

1 tsp Italian Seasonings

1 medium zucchini, chopped

4 cans chicken broth

1 can cooked white kidney beans, drained and rinsed

1 can tomatoes

1/2 head cabbage, chopped

1 1/2 - 2 cups spinach

Heat olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot. Add onions, celery, carrots and garlic and saute until vegetables are tender, but not yet browned. Add Italian seasoning and stir for one to two minutes. Add chopped zucchini and cook another few minutes. Pour 4 cans of chicken broth, the cooked beans and the tomatoes. Cover, bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to simmer. Allow the soup to cook for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the soup looks thicker then desired, add some water, 1 cup at a time.

When it almost looks like "soup" add the chopped cabbage, spinach and a handful of orzo and cook for 10 minutes more.

For purely vegetarian Minestrone use vegetable broth instead of chicken.

Edited by demonsangel

Vegetarian Chili

1 30 oz can chili beans

1 15.5 oz can of kidney beans

1 14.5 can petite diced tomatoes

1 green bell pepper, diced

1/2 red onion, diced (i actually use a small sweet yellow myself)

1 cup frozen corn

onion and garlic powder

lemon pepper

onion and herb mrs. dash

Combine all in crock-pot and cook on low for 4-6 hours. The last three ingredients you can add as much or as little as you want. I just eye ball it.

For chicken chili add 1-2 chicken breasts cut into cubes.

(makes about 5 quarts)

Edited by Astraea

Crock-Pot Chicken Quesadilla

3 boneless chicken breasts cut into strips

2 (14 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed

1 cup chopped tomato

1 medium onion, chopped

1 Tbsp minced garlic

1/2 cup chicken broth

1 tsp cumin

1/4 tsp pepper

Combine ingredients in crock-pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

To make quesadillas heat 2 tsp of olive oil to skillet and add tortilla, a layer of cheese, chicken filling and more cheese then cover with another tortilla. Once brown flip and brown other side.

I prefer to just eat it burrito style after browning one tortilla. Can add avacado/guac, sour cream, salsa and anything else you like.

(makes about 5 quarts)

Crock - Pot Baked Chicken Breast

3 whole chicken breasts, halved

2 Tbsp butter

1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of chicken soup

1/2 cup cooking sherry

1 tsp rosemary (can also use leaf tarragon instead)

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1/4 tsp garlic powder

Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry; place in crock-pot. In saucepan, combine remaining ingredients and heat until smooth and hot. Pour over chicekn breasts. Cover and cook on low setting for 8-10 hours.

4-6 servings(about 2 quarts)

My favourite recipe is my personal version of sushi. Other than my peanut butter fudge recipe, but I'm not giving away my secrets on that one. Technically this is avocado stuffed balls of rice topped with cold smoked salmon. Dipped in soya sauce.

Ingredients:

2-3 cups sticky rice

4 tablespoons Rice vinegar (regular vinegar works too)

2 tablespoons sugar

1 big pack of sushi grade fish (I go with cold smoked salmon, trout, or tuna but salmon has the least mercury I think. If raw fish grosses you out, these are great with cooked shrimp or just all veggie.)

1 or 2 avocado(s) (if you add other veggies, stick with soft ones like cucumbers or lettuce.)

Nori/seaweed (optional)

Cup of water laced with vinegar. (for keeping your hands moist)

+ condiments you like with sushi. (soya sauce, wasabi, pickled ginger, etc) - optional.

1. Cook the rice up. With a rice cooker or find a good sticky rice cooking method online.

2. As soon as its nice and cooked, toss in the 4 Tablespoons of vinegar, and the sugar and stir it well. Then let the rice steam for 5-10 mins.

3. Stick it in the fridge until it's cold or cool enough to handle.

4. Take a small ball of rice, make sure your hands are wet with water/vinegar so the rice doesn't stick to you too much. But not too wet or the rice will fall apart. Flatten the ball in your palm, and put a small piece of avocado (and other veggies?) in the center.

5. With your free hand take another equal sized bit of rice, flatten it a bit with your thumb, and cover the veggies in your other hand to form a ball of rice around them

6. Roll them around a bit in your hands until they're as tight as you want them (if the rice is too loose it might fall apart when you try and dip it.)

7. Top with the fish (they're still good without any topping if you want to just go veggie)

8. Repeat steps4-7 until the rice is all gone.

(This is rather time consuming, but easy. For my faster method, I just make a palm-sized ball of rice, push my thumb into the middle to make a bowl-like shape, drop the avocado and stuff in, and then put the salmon on top.)

(If you want to use nori, just take a long strip and wrap it around the balls, and seal it with water or vinegar.)

I'm an extremely picky eater, so this is something I have often. Plus any leftover smoked fish can be put on a bagel in the morning. Yay!

Turkey spinach and cheese salad with tomato.

1. Fill bowl with fresh washed spinach.

2. Cut up and add tomato

3. Cut up and add smoked turkey. (whatever part you want. I used the pre-sliced smoked turkey breast made for sandwiches)

4. Add cheese. I use Mexican blend (4 cheeses blended together)

5. Add dressing or eat plain. I use Olive Gardens dressing.

6. Enjoy!

You can also add blueberries, strawberries, chicken, nuts, anything you want! If you are using fruit I would recommend a poppy seed dressing instead.

• 2 weeks later...

This is, apparently, my best: Stuffed Mushrooms

4-6 large portabello mushroom caps (or 6-8 medium ones)

1 medium onion (white or sweet)

1 can of diced tomatoes

2-4 stalks of celery

1 lb of whatever meat you like (I prefer chicken)

Parmesan cheese

Wash mushrooms, cut off stems and scoop out the gills. Save both.

Preheat the oven to 425 F. Place cleaned mushrooms on a baking sheet and place in oven. Remove when slightly brown (may want to do this halfway through cooking).

Place cut onion and celery into a hot, oiled pan and saute until close to soft (or as soft as you want).

Once soft, add meat to the veggies and cook until it's no longer raw.

Once meat is cooked, add tomatoes and mushroom bits to the whole thing and let it cook on low until the liquid evaporates. (This usually takes close to 50 minutes for me since I fear burning the dish. You can cook it faster if you prefer.) Add 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese when half to three-fourths of the liquid is gone.

Spoon the cooked mix into your browned mushroom caps. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake until the mass (mushroom and filling) solidifies and doesn't fall apart.

Enjoy!

(The amounts of onion, celery, meat and tomatoes depends on how much you like of each item. This is just a general guide.)

• 1 month later...

Fried Rice

6 servings

2 tablespoons oil

1 onion

2 eggs

4 cups cooked rice

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1. Cook onion in oil until tender.

2. Beat eggs and add to onion. Stir to cook.

3. Add remaining ingredients.

4. Serve as a side dish.

For Main dish, add one cup chicken, ham, or vegetables. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup grated cheese.

If you want to have things ready ahead of time you can precook the rice and keep it in the fridge till you need it. Just heat it up before adding ^^

Here is a great dish to go with it if you want the fried rice as a side dish.

Stir-Fry Vegetables

4 servings

2 tablespoons oil

2 cups chopped fresh broccoli

1 cup carrots, peeled (optional really), sliced thin

1/2 cup sliced onion

1 teaspoon cornstarch

1/2 teaspoon garlic power

2 teaspoons soy sauce

1/3 cups water

1. Heat the oil in a large skillet or saucepan. Add vegetables.

2. Stir and cook over moderate heat for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp tender. If you like vegetables more tender add 2-3 tablespoons water, cover tightly and cook a little longer.

3. In a small bowl mix cornstarch, garlic powder, soy sauce and water. Add this mixture to the vegetables. Stir and cook 1 minute.

4. Serve with rice.

Edited by Astraea

• 3 months later...
Guest Secret Admirer

1) Pick up the phone

2) Dial you're local pizza place

3) Order a cheese pizza with extra cheese

4) Wait for the pizza guy to get to your house

5) Pay him when he gets there

6) Eat all of the pizza before anyone realizes that you ordered pizza

Good recipie no??

=w=

• 4 months later...

This one is pretty good. Personally I intend to cut down the icing recipe a bit. It makes too much in my opinion. But I decided to post the original so others can decide for themselves.

Spiced Pumpkin Cupcakes

1 pkg. (18 1/4 oz) yellow cake mix

1 pkg.(4 servings) vanilla instant pudding mix

1 cup canned pumpkin

1/2 cup oil

1/2 cup water

3 eggs

1 1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon

1 tsp Ground Cloves

1 tsp Vanilla Extract

BEAT all ingredients with electric mixer on low speeds just until moistened. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Spoon batter into 24 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes (use the middle rack.) Frost cooled cupcakes with spiced cream cheese frosting. Makes 24 cupcakes.

Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting

1 pkg. (8 oz) softened Cream Cheese

1/4 cup softened butter

1 tsp Vanilla Extract

1/4 tsp Ground Cloves

1 box (16 oz) Confectioners Sugar

BEAT Cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and ground cloves until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners sugar until smooth.

Note: I would highly recommend an electric hand mixer for frosting and only add about 1/4 -1/3 cups of confectioners sugar at a time.

• 3 weeks later...

I would share the recipes but they are top secret. And beautiful. And family. But if you bother the mother beast she'll consider it. But here, pictures.

2011-12-24_14-31-53_420.jpg

This is our spanakopita. It's a Greek spinach pastry.

2011-12-24_14-32-19_313.jpg

And here's kolacky. Which is a Polish shortbread cookie. Fillings seen: peach, apple, poppy seed, and blueberry.

2011-12-24_14-32-32_800.jpg

This is called kourabiedes. You might have once seen it bastardized on Kitchen Nightmares.

2011-12-24_14-32-44_421.jpg

Baklava. All ours. No sharing. Ours. Ours, ours, ours. So yeah.

Be jealous.

• 1 month later...

Baked Fish and Vegetables

4 fish fillets

4 medium potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes

4 medium carrots cut into 1 inch pieces

4 small onions, quartered

4 Tbsp. Butter or margerine

Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Celery Seed (to taste)

On eac of four square 9 inch peices of aluminum foil, place a fish fillet and protion of potato, carrot, and onion. Add 1 tablespoon butter/margering to each squre. Sprinkle with seasonings. Fold foil over and seal edges well. Bake on cookie sheet at 350 for 40 minutes.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.