Click Here!

Does the time you spend on a character reflect how much you like them?

I was thinking about this partly because of a story I was reading here. The story is basically 3 chapters featuring 3 characters. But I noticed that one of the characters had two chapters devoted to them. Whereas another character basically got a single chapter devoted to them. Which has me wondering exactly how much the author likes the character which got more story better. Or found them more interesting.

Similarly, I noticed that a story I’m writing has a longer chapter than the others. To some extent it’s because I really like the character and partly because I’m enjoying the story I’m telling.

Do you think the amount of time you spend on a character is a reflection of your interest in the character?

13 minutes ago, Deadman said:

I was thinking about this partly because of a story I was reading here. The story is basically 3 chapters featuring 3 characters. But I noticed that one of the characters had two chapters devoted to them. Whereas another character basically got a single chapter devoted to them. Which has me wondering exactly how much the author likes the character which got more story better. Or found them more interesting.

Similarly, I noticed that a story I’m writing has a longer chapter than the others. To some extent it’s because I really like the character and partly because I’m enjoying the story I’m telling.

Do you think the amount of time you spend on a character is a reflection of your interest in the character?

For me, absolutely. I have certain characters I truly enjoy writing for, and a large part of the editing process for me is making sure I’m not giving other characters short shrift. 

On 6/4/2024 at 11:22 PM, BronxWench said:

For me, absolutely. I have certain characters I truly enjoy writing for, and a large part of the editing process for me is making sure I’m not giving other characters short shrift. 

Hmm, that’s interesting. I usually focus on making sure the story is worked out. Most of them are about whatever the characters need to know to push things forward. Although this doesn’t always apply in a more… adult context.

22 minutes ago, Deadman said:

Hmm, that’s interesting. I usually focus on making sure the story is worked out. Most of them are about whatever the characters need to know to push things forward. Although this doesn’t always apply in a more… adult context.

I’m a dedicated pantser. :lol: I do have an idea of the basic story, but characters tend to get away from time to time.