Click Here!

How do people make "profile status updates"?

Deadman

Just curious because I’ve seen a few people who’ve been able to post via their profile.

Is it that you have to get to a certain point in terms of rank on the site? Or am I just missing something?

I’m happy to wait if that’s the case, but I might get annoying with my desire to get there. Hopefully not though.

You just click on the sentence that reads “What’s on your mind?” above the status updates, at the top of the column. That opens a window which will let you type in whatever you want, and lets you add emojis that will display when it’s read.

9 minutes ago, BronxWench said:

You just click on the sentence that reads “What’s on your mind?” above the status updates, at the top of the column. That opens a window which will let you type in whatever you want, and lets you add emojis that will display when it’s read.

Okay, maybe I’m just missing where that is. You mean other people’s status updates?

That’s certainly weird, so I’ll tag @manta2g so she can check it out. 

But you should also be able to go to your own profile page, and at the top of that, there should be a line that says “Write a public message on your own feed” and if you click that, you can put a status on that.

13 minutes ago, BronxWench said:

What Forum theme are you using? It showed for me on the Dynamic theme as well, and I think it’s the default or Dynamic as our only options for the moment.

I’m not sure, I think it’s default?

At least according to what I think I can find about my theme.

Screenshot 2023-08-28 182128.jpg

17 minutes ago, WillowDarkling said:

That’s certainly weird, so I’ll tag @manta2g so she can check it out. 

But you should also be able to go to your own profile page, and at the top of that, there should be a line that says “Write a public message on your own feed” and if you click that, you can put a status on that.

In case Manta needs it, I use Firefox and I did have an add on going. However, I disabled it in case that was the problem. My screenshot is what it looks like without the add on.

Let’s hope @manta2g can solve this because you should have that link like I do. I can’t see a profile setting that turns that on or off, at least not in my profile.

8 hours ago, manta2g said:

Browser version and os? It looks like it's not loading all Java correctly. 

Firefox, pretty sure it’s the most recent version. I’m on a Windows machine. Possibly Windows 10 but not 100% on that.

1 hour ago, manta2g said:

So firefox has jsva and Javascript disabled by default.  Check your settings.  Some newer versions need it as a plug in to work. 

Hmm, I’m not seeing anything in my settings but supposedly I can use add-ons that are Java related. Maybe one of those will work?

21 hours ago, BronxWench said:

Okay, it looks like I don’t even have Java installed on my system so I have to fix that. Although I’m probably going to be selective about using it. Maybe only for this site.

I honestly haven’t used Firefox in years, because it was always a resource hog. (It might have gotten better, but I’m used to Chrome now and I hate change. :lol: )

But, having said that, there should be an add-on or extension that would let you read sites using Java. In Chrome, I open Settings and there’s a link for Extensions right there.

Okay, just to update @manta2g and @BronxWench, I installed Java on my computer and this doesn’t seem to have changed anything.

I haven’t had a chance to restart my computer to see if that helps, but installing it didn’t appear to ask me to do that.

Still, just FYI in case there might be some other reason for it. I will let you know if rebooting fixes the problem.

• 4 months later...

So, I just wanted to mention that I still don’t seem to have this feature available to me. Not a serious concern for me obviously, I can live without it, no rush. But just FYI.

While I see @BronxWench’s directions above, normally I go to my profile and do it there.   A prompt at the top of my activity feed reads “Write a public message on your own feed...”  Click there and it becomes an edit box where I can put in...whatever, hit “Submit Status” when done.  Now, it’s javascript making the change (prompt → edit window), so maybe that’s disabled?  I’m guessing a script/ad-blocker is fouling this up.   @Deadman, do you have something like U-block or no-script installed?

13 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

While I see @BronxWench’s directions above, normally I go to my profile and do it there.   A prompt at the top of my activity feed reads “Write a public message on your own feed...”  Click there and it becomes an edit box where I can put in...whatever, hit “Submit Status” when done.  Now, it’s javascript making the change (prompt → edit window), so maybe that’s disabled?  I’m guessing a script/ad-blocker is fouling this up.   @Deadman, do you have something like U-block or no-script installed?

Yeah, I don’t see anything like that on my profile.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.