Click Here!

Tags and Review Emails?

Deadman

So, just curious about a few things. The first is about using a tag, partly because I know some things are still being worked on with the archive.

I have a story that I just finished writing. If I’m going to post it, should I use the “Complete” tag even if I’ve only posted a single chapter and there are more? Or should I add WIP and request to have it changed when the whole story is finished?

Also, I received a new review on a story I updated. But I didn’t receive an email about it. Is that just a part of the continued fixes to the archive?

Thanks for any answers you can give.

1 hour ago, Deadman said:

I have a story that I just finished writing. If I’m going to post it, should I use the “Complete” tag even if I’ve only posted a single chapter and there are more? Or should I add WIP and request to have it changed when the whole story is finished?

Personally, I wouldn’t call it “complete” until all chapters have been posted.  It’d be from the readers’ perspective.

34 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

Personally, I wouldn’t call it “complete” until all chapters have been posted.  It’d be from the readers’ perspective.

Yes, that’s generally what I would like. But previously when I tried to edit the tags, it wouldn’t let me. The admins mentioned that it was because things are still being done with the archive. So I don’t want to have to reach out to the admins because they have enough work to do. But I also want my readers to see the way the story actually is.

In this particular case, there’s only two chapters for the story though. It would be very quick turn around.

4 minutes ago, Deadman said:

Yes, that’s generally what I would like. But previously when I tried to edit the tags, it wouldn’t let me. The admins mentioned that it was because things are still being done with the archive. So I don’t want to have to reach out to the admins because they have enough work to do. But I also want my readers to see the way the story actually is.

In this particular case, there’s only two chapters for the story though. It would be very quick turn around.

Hmm… maybe mention two chapters in the summary?  Skip the WIP tag, and once archive lets you edit, shove in the COMPLETE tag?  Also, stick “THE END” at the end of the second chapter, readers will get that bit..

28 minutes ago, Deadman said:

It’s not a lot of work for me to add a tag, honestly.

As far as not getting the review emails, check your profile. There’s green button that reads “Review Notify” and if you click that, at the bottom of the page (scroll down) you’ll see the option to say yes or no via a dropdown to getting review emails. Then click the green “Update” button at the bottom to save your choice.

24 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

Hmm… maybe mention two chapters in the summary?  Skip the WIP tag, and once archive lets you edit, shove in the COMPLETE tag?  Also, stick “THE END” at the end of the second chapter, readers will get that bit..

I thought about the possibility of just adding an author’s note to the first chapter so people understand why it’s tagged the way it is and that they can expect a second chapter.

2 minutes ago, BronxWench said:

It’s not a lot of work for me to add a tag, honestly.

As far as not getting the review emails, check your profile. There’s green button that reads “Review Notify” and if you click that, at the bottom of the page (scroll down) you’ll see the option to say yes or no via a dropdown to getting review emails. Then click the green “Update” button at the bottom to save your choice.

Hmm, okay. I think I figured it out. I put in the correct email that should be available. I just assumed that I would get the emails.

When I clicked the link in the email, I got an “Activation Successful” message. Is that the correct thing?

Also, just FYI, the word successful is misspelled when you do that. It’s got one less ‘c’ than it should.

Just now, Deadman said:

Hmm, okay. I think I figured it out. I put in the correct email that should be available. I just assumed that I would get the emails.

When I clicked the link in the email, I got an “Activation Successful” message. Is that the correct thing?

Also, just FYI, the word successful is misspelled when you do that. It’s got one less ‘c’ than it should.

Yes, that’s the correct thing. And you’ll find a few typos in the archive. One of these days, when manta doesn’t have any hellacious security fixes or codes updates going on, I’ll point them out to her for correction. :lol: In the meantime, I’m treating them like Easter eggs, to see who actually notices the misspelled words.

21 hours ago, BronxWench said:

Yes, that’s the correct thing. And you’ll find a few typos in the archive. One of these days, when manta doesn’t have any hellacious security fixes or codes updates going on, I’ll point them out to her for correction. :lol: In the meantime, I’m treating them like Easter eggs, to see who actually notices the misspelled words.

Do we win anything if we find the Easter eggs?

3 hours ago, Deadman said:

Do we win anything if we find the Easter eggs?

*grins*  You get fast-tracked to becoming staff. :lol:

Though I’m native born & raised American English speaker, I’ve joked that it’s a “second language” compared to the main coding language I program in.  And while I did take some Japanese courses in high school, I didn’t really learn much/enough to do anything more than pick a little bit out here/there whenever I watch anime.  So, while I’m not one, I have lots of respect for bilinguals (or more).

*le sigh* I speak English as a second language, but I’ve studied… now… four other foreign languages. I can’t speak any of them, really, to any extent, but I have retained enough that I can read simple instructions in the other Scandinavian languages (except for Finnish, obviously :D And no offence, but Faroese is just gibberish) and I can recognise when people are speaking French or German, and related languages. And I still pretend to retain some of my ability to understand a bit of written Japanese :D  At least I am smashing my Duolingo course in Japanese, and I do have a BA degree in that, so I feel I must pretend that I still know a bit :blush:

I also tried to study Spanish, but failed miserably, because I kept mixing it up with my French, so I gave up and took German instead :D 

So, that’s native language, fluent in English, and studied four more, plus a bit of Spanish :P  The joys of a tiny country school system. 

I’m a native speaker of American English, with fluency in British English, and the remnants of the French I once spoke (although I’m crushing it in Duolingo). I read a smattering of Latin, and can muddle my way through reading basic things in Spanish, Italian, and German.

Then again, I’m old enough to remember when a foreign language was taught as early as elementary school, along with music. (Never show me one of those plastic recorders—I still have flashbacks.)  :lol: 

On 7/21/2023 at 8:14 PM, BronxWench said:

*grins*  You get fast-tracked to becoming staff. :lol:

Why is everyone trying to give me jobs where I don’t get paid? :D Seems to happen a lot.

On 7/22/2023 at 4:05 PM, manta2g said:

Typos happen with me, just a fact of my existence. English is my second language, I think I amble fairly well in it. 

I certainly didn’t mean to imply that it wasn’t. I’m a native English speaker and I’ve done so many typos a lot.

Obviously it happens, totally understand it.

7 minutes ago, Deadman said:

Why is everyone trying to give me jobs where I don’t get paid? :D Seems to happen a lot.

Because I’m evil and I like to drag people into the darkest bowels of AFF?  :lol: 

1 hour ago, BronxWench said:

Because I’m evil and I like to drag people into the darkest bowels of AFF?  :lol: 

That’s your motivation probably, but it’s not just AFF where this happens to me.

7 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

Even paid jobs try to squeeze unpaid work out of ya.

Yes but what I tend to find is people who say “Hey, we can’t pay you right now but if you generate revenue for us, we’ll pay you for it.” or something along those lines.

I’ve been having this argument about writing in particular, but it doesn’t happen in just writing. For some reason, in writing people are expected to do free work on the promise of future financial success. The way I’ve put it is “No one ever says come work at this retail outlet for 10 years for free and if you do a good job, I’ll think about paying you at some point”.

It happens more often in writing, but increasingly I’m seeing it in other opportunities.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.