Click Here!

Happy endings (literally or figuratively) or tragic endings?

Deadman

9 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

Yeah, if my main/major character suddenly has a very good/happy day, beware, usually my attempt to “bargain” with their impending tragic demise.

Yes, I have a habit of doing this too. Usually my characters are happy right before things go wrong and destroys their lives.

12 minutes ago, pippychick said:

You guys are merciful Gods… lol

I wouldn’t go so far as to say that. It’s more about the impact that it has on readers. The number of times that people say “I really hope they end up together and have a happy ending” is kinda fun.

So I tend to try and give people a little of what they’re after before taking it away from them.

That’s part of what concerned me about prompted the original question. My story for like the last story was basically one negative turn of events after another. I sorta created an artificial happy ending. But the readers knew it was a false happiness. The main character had turned evil and was kinda “torturing” people even if they didn’t know they were being tortured.

Which means I was “torturing” the audience. Or I thought I was anyway.

52 minutes ago, Deadman said:

I wouldn’t go so far as to say that. It’s more about the impact that it has on readers. The number of times that people say “I really hope they end up together and have a happy ending” is kinda fun.

So I tend to try and give people a little of what they’re after before taking it away from them.

That’s part of what concerned me about prompted the original question. My story for like the last story was basically one negative turn of events after another. I sorta created an artificial happy ending. But the readers knew it was a false happiness. The main character had turned evil and was kinda “torturing” people even if they didn’t know they were being tortured.

Which means I was “torturing” the audience. Or I thought I was anyway.

Got an alternate ending to my potter fanfic that’ll tie into one of my originals… in this same theme would be a “send-off” of sorts.

10 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

Innocence?  Not typically found on this website :)

Oh I don’t know about that. There’s a fair amount of innocence, it just usually doesn’t last long on the website.

Fun fact I’m currently in the process of writing about the destruction of innocence. Or some version of it anyway. Though in an ironic way.

A lot of my stories are primarily erotica, so “happy endings” are par for the course.

Seriously, my endings tend to be predictable. If the story has a tragic storyline, then it probably has a tragic ending. If it’s a happy storyline, happy ending. Although if it’s a Halloween story, all bets are off. 

1 hour ago, GeorgeGlass said:

A lot of my stories are primarily erotica, so “happy endings” are par for the course.

Seriously, my endings tend to be predictable. If the story has a tragic storyline, then it probably has a tragic ending. If it’s a happy storyline, happy ending. Although if it’s a Halloween story, all bets are off. 

Hmm….Halloween story, where the happy ending is the tragic ending.  Not sure how to pull that off in the original universe I tend to write in.

16 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

Hmm….Halloween story, where the happy ending is the tragic ending.  Not sure how to pull that off in the original universe I tend to write in.

Well if you do a story about the villain of a Halloween/horror movie would kinda be that I imagine. Since in order for the villain of a horror movie to have a happy ending, they would have to take out a large number of people.

13 hours ago, Deadman said:

Well if you do a story about the villain of a Halloween/horror movie would kinda be that I imagine. Since in order for the villain of a horror movie to have a happy ending, they would have to take out a large number of people.

Was thing more venus fly trap style… anyways, requires a lot of thought :)

11 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

Was thing more venus fly trap style… anyways, requires a lot of thought :)

Ah, so more tempting people into a trap. Fun idea and something I’m also sorta looking at.