Click Here!

Writing an orgy

GeorgeGlass

@Deadman’s recent post brought this question to mind: What do you consider the best way to write an orgy scene?

My usual approach is this: After I make a list of the participants and who will be getting it on with whom, I describe the action in round-robin fashion, writing a few paragraphs about what each pair or group is doing and then moving on to the next until I’ve come full circle and then starting at the top again.

I feel like this approach provides the reader some sense that the action is all going on simultaneously. However, I’m also concerned that the constant jumps from one group to the next are too disruptive for at least some readers. 

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, GeorgeGlass said:

@Deadman’s recent post brought this question to mind: What do you consider the best way to write an orgy scene?

My usual approach is this: After I make a list of the participants and who will be getting it on with whom, I describe the action in round-robin fashion, writing a few paragraphs about what each pair or group is doing and then moving on to the next until I’ve come full circle and then starting at the top again.

I feel like this approach provides the reader some sense that the action is all going on simultaneously. However, I’m also concerned that the constant jumps from one group to the next are too disruptive for at least some readers. 

Thoughts?

This is generally a good way to do it. Having written a few scenes like this so far, it’s been easier to know what I’m planning ahead of time in some detail. Although as I’ve gotten better at it, I get into more “without a plan” writing process. I have the participants figured out but then let the story take me where it wants to go.

I even have come to different conclusions about what the story is about and how it plays out. In one story that I haven’t posted yet, I originally had it as an AU story. When I finally got down to writing, I decided that I had to integrate more canon into it. Another one involved basing it on a throw away line the character said.

For the one I’m writing now, I will come up with an idea for something that happens later, write out a one sentence description, then detail it out when I get to that part. I also mapped out a series of events where different characters would get it on, had one or two lines of dialogue, then did the next one. Eventually going back and filling in the details.