Click Here!

Login issues

Guest Mccargos

Just to be clear, you’re definitely talking about an issue with this forum and not the archive?  We’ve had a big server migration which has unfortunately introduced a raft of issues.  They’re being worked on, but every staff member here is doing this in their spare time, so it’ll take some time to sort them out.  But in the mean time, we recommend clearing your browser’s history and cache, closing the browser, and restarting it.  If that doesn’t sort out your problem them then we can only apologise, and hopefully the issues will be sorted soon.

• 2 months later...

As we’ve been telling people in the Archive Tech Support thread, AFF was subjected to an injection attack earlier this month. The archive was redirecting everyone to another site which invited them to click links of dubious provenance. To help end the attack and allow us to fix the underlying issues, the archive was put in read-only mode. New stories can’t be posted, updates to existing stories can’t be posted, and there might be ongoing hiccups in resetting passwords.

In order to prevent a reoccurrence, our coder is going through the archive code with a fine-toothed comb and fixing the issues. It’s a very painstaking process, and we ask that you be patient, since the archive remains in read-only mode until the fixes are completed.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven’t signed in for years and I lost the email address that I used to sign in but I badly want to make changes to my account. Can I please get some help here? I will check back later since I don’t want to leave my current email address for the whole world to see. Thank you for anything and everything that you are able to do. -Aki

The Archive is still in read only mode, so the only way to do anything there is to wait until we’re back up and running. But if you only need help with the forum, then I’m tagging our forum admin @Melrick, and he can help you when he gets on. Just be patient since he is in the Southern Hemisphere… 

I’m also trying to login— I have my username and password saved, but when I click “Login” the page resets and I’m still not logged in. This has been happening for at least 2 weeks. Today I tried to reset my password as a last ditch effort and I got this message: 

“Password Reset

Your password reset could not be completed due to a systems error, please contact the site admins.”

Who should I contact with this issue? Username is : Doog

as per Bronx Wench: 

As we’ve been telling people in the Archive Tech Support thread, AFF was subjected to an injection attack earlier this month. The archive was redirecting everyone to another site which invited them to click links of dubious provenance. To help end the attack and allow us to fix the underlying issues, the archive was put in read-only mode. New stories can’t be posted, updates to existing stories can’t be posted, and there might be ongoing hiccups in resetting passwords.

In order to prevent a reoccurrence, our coder is going through the archive code with a fine-toothed comb and fixing the issues. It’s a very painstaking process, and we ask that you be patient, since the archive remains in read-only mode until the fixes are completed.

so its gonna be a while. 

• 1 year later...
Guest Long-time acct holder

Posting as a guest as I can’t login.

Just read through these messages, and I was surprised to find that my issues with logging in (login attempts refresh the page and nothing else happens, password resets not working, etc) are the same issues people were mentioning back in 2022.

I’ve had an account here since December 2004.  It’s been a few years since I’ve posted any stories, but I do like to come on every so often and read other stories or flip through the ones I created many years ago.  I’ve noticed that my username had changed from Scribbles to Shaznay unbeknownst to me, so I was pretty sure my account had been hacked.  I tried to reset my password to remedy this and the reset link takes me to an AFF page that says “This Password Reset is no longer Valid”.  

Is this injection attack still being addressed two years later?  Shouldn’t logins and password resets be working by this point?

I’ve visited this site for nearly 20 years.  I grew my writing abilities here, met friends here, and it will always carry a soft place in my heart for that.  I hate to see this site take such tragic hits like this.

4 hours ago, Guest Long-time acct holder said:

Posting as a guest as I can’t login.

Just read through these messages, and I was surprised to find that my issues with logging in (login attempts refresh the page and nothing else happens, password resets not working, etc) are the same issues people were mentioning back in 2022.

I’ve had an account here since December 2004.  It’s been a few years since I’ve posted any stories, but I do like to come on every so often and read other stories or flip through the ones I created many years ago.  I’ve noticed that my username had changed from Scribbles to Shaznay unbeknownst to me, so I was pretty sure my account had been hacked.  I tried to reset my password to remedy this and the reset link takes me to an AFF page that says “This Password Reset is no longer Valid”.  

Is this injection attack still being addressed two years later?  Shouldn’t logins and password resets be working by this point?

I’ve visited this site for nearly 20 years.  I grew my writing abilities here, met friends here, and it will always carry a soft place in my heart for that.  I hate to see this site take such tragic hits like this.

Hi!

There are a couple of things going on, so let me work through them.

When the site was attacked, we did go to read-only mode for a lot longer than we’d hoped. But, during that unpanned hiatus, we did a couple of things. We rolled out the new archive code, and we consolidated multiple accounts linked to the same email address. The older versions of the archive code allowed for that, but the newer versions ill not allow more than one account per email address. As part of that, we were instructed to merge the multiple accounts, with the oldest existing account being the one all data was moved to. It’s likely that is why your pen name changed.

When we were ready to go live again, we sent out emails to all our members with links to reactivate their accounts under the new archive code. However, some email clients decided our mass emailing was actually spam, and either refused to deliver the emails or consigned them to some digital limbo. 

And yes, there are still a few issues with the new code that need to be worked out, including the password reset link for members who have already reactivated their accounts. We’re aware of those issues, and @manta2g is working on them.

In the meantime, looking at your account, you have not yet reactivated. I’m emailing you links which will allow you to reactivate and reset your password.  

1 hour ago, BronxWench said:

Hi!

There are a couple of things going on, so let me work through them.

When the site was attacked, we did go to read-only mode for a lot longer than we’d hoped. But, during that unpanned hiatus, we did a couple of things. We rolled out the new archive code, and we consolidated multiple accounts linked to the same email address. The older versions of the archive code allowed for that, but the newer versions ill not allow more than one account per email address. As part of that, we were instructed to merge the multiple accounts, with the oldest existing account being the one all data was moved to. It’s likely that is why your pen name changed.

When we were ready to go live again, we sent out emails to all our members with links to reactivate their accounts under the new archive code. However, some email clients decided our mass emailing was actually spam, and either refused to deliver the emails or consigned them to some digital limbo. 

And yes, there are still a few issues with the new code that need to be worked out, including the password reset link for members who have already reactivated their accounts. We’re aware of those issues, and @manta2g is working on them.

In the meantime, looking at your account, you have not yet reactivated. I’m emailing you links which will allow you to reactivate and reset your password.  

Thank you so much for the information and assistance with getting my account restored. I just tried to use the activation link you sent me (copied and pasted the link into a new browser), but the link took me to an AFF page that said “This activation is no longer valid”.  Perhaps the link timed out? Looks to have been 2 hours from when you sent the link to when I tried to use it.

20 minutes ago, Guest Long-time acct holder said:

Thank you so much for the information and assistance with getting my account restored. I just tried to use the activation link you sent me (copied and pasted the link into a new browser), but the link took me to an AFF page that said “This activation is no longer valid”.  Perhaps the link timed out? Looks to have been 2 hours from when you sent the link to when I tried to use it.

The link didn’t time out, and it most likely wasn’t invalid. Try the password reset and see if that works. It’s a funky glitch in the code that generates the fail message even when the activation works.

8 minutes ago, BronxWench said:

The link didn’t time out, and it most likely wasn’t invalid. Try the password reset and see if that works. It’s a funky glitch in the code that generates the fail message even when the activation works.

Ok, just tried the password reset link and it said “The password reset is no longer valid”.

I’ll send fresh links. Even if the activation says it’s not failed, go ahead and do the password reset, and it should work. They’re designed to be done together.

2 hours ago, BronxWench said:

I’ll send fresh links. Even if the activation says it’s not failed, go ahead and do the password reset, and it should work. They’re designed to be done together.

This worked! Thanks so much for your help!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Same Thing 2 Years later!

I cvannot log on. It shows : user name, but asks for email. Put that in and neither password gets me anything. So this is 2 years after the prior. Are you even still a site, or are the stories dead?

9 hours ago, Guest Same Thing 2 Years later! said:

I cvannot log on. It shows : user name, but asks for email. Put that in and neither password gets me anything. So this is 2 years after the prior. Are you even still a site, or are the stories dead?

I’ll need a pen name or account url to be able to help.

Guest guest

Hi I’m having the same issue as one of the posters above. I forgot my password and when I click forgot password and get the email the page says password reset no longer valid. 

44 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

Hi I’m having the same issue as one of the posters above. I forgot my password and when I click forgot password and get the email the page says password reset no longer valid. 

I really do need a pen name or account url to locate your information. I can provide new links that will work, but I have no clue as to where to email those.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Biker_Dash cannot log in

For some reason, I am unable to log into the forums here. I enter my name, and I enter my PW. I even triple-check that I enter it correctly. 
I end up with this error message:
AFF_Forum_login_error_message.png?ex=662

Now, as I stated above, I am seriously checking hard that I type in the PW correctly. As the following screensnip shows, I am also entering my name correctly:
AFF_Profile_snip.png?ex=6625e8c4&is=6613

This is my profile URL:

https://members.adult-fanfiction.org/profile.php?no=1297020972

What can I do to be able to log in. Both the name and PW are entered correctly, yet I keep getting that error message.

A forum profile is a separate registration from an archive registration. As far as I can tell, your archive account was properly registered. Let me tag @Melrick and he can check the forum information for you. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.