Click Here!

Ten Years on AFF

JayDee

I know, I know, my current user account wasn't registered until 2005-07-30, but I started coming to AFF regularly on December 21st 2004. There wasn't a forum back then! Just the wossnames, yahoo groups. Remember yahoo groups? Ewwww....

It seems a fuck of a long time, to be honest. I was only 22 when I started reading here, and a whole heck of a lot of the stuff I used to do online I just don't anymore. I've tried to think of a few bigger fandom changes over the decade:

1) Livejournal! I used to spend an assload of time on LJ, it was great for fandom stuff, great for discussions, great for pointing and laughing at drama.

2) Trolls used to be fun! These days, they pretty much all appear to be psychopaths. Not even funny psychopaths. Old days trolls could wind users up, have a laugh, move on. Now they ring people up and threaten to rape them to death over video games. What the fuck, assholes?

3) Harmonians still believed there was a chance Harry would end up plowing Hermione. And old school trolls could wind them up.

4) Fanfiction.net didn't enforce any of their ru... nevermind. That one's still good.

5) I could have done one of these lists for hours and made it entertaining. Now I'm, like, old and my mind's going and frankly I probably did too much weed back then.

6) I guess I just miss the most amusing of the old users. Sometimes I stop and wonder what they're up to.

10 fucking years. This isn't some "Hey, I'm old school! I'm a fucking old user look at me" bullshit, because nobody cares about that crap, and anyway, compared to some I'm still a noob!

It's much more of a "holy fuck where did the time go?"

Edited by JayDee

I didn't find AFF until around 2009, and didn't register right away, although I was reading happily before then. Funny how fast this became "home," though... :D

I was gonna say I miss getting more reviews, but since the last story I wrote was my most reviewed by some way I guess I'll forget that one.

As I said, compared to some folks I'm still way new, but the point is that to me it feels like ages and ages. It's just under a third of my life!

I'm pretty sure I found this place through a fic sporking site, too. But at least those guys were funny and only quoted snippets (fair use!) rather than stealing whole fics. That site's long dead anyhow, while AFF is still here.