Click Here!

Magusfang's Corner

magusfang

Hmmmm...I remember saying ouch a lot...

Ok, dart team is short...gonna go shoot. So if I survive, I should post this weekend...PT is really messing me up...I don't remeber the bullet hurting this much!

Lol bullets don't hurt that much it's takeing them out that hurts

I trust they actually removed that "splinter" this time?

I didn't see comment on the outcome of the operation, only the cause.

Edited by darthel0101

Guest bankerstrust

Hi folks, is there any reason why when I go to MS Word to re-read GITG, Word stops working. I can get to read stories from the old site, but when I try to read BITG, GITG and SITG Word stops working. Is it something to do with AFF? I have repaired Word but it still stops working.

Guest_bankerstrust_ the reason might be because of how mobal friendly aff is vs the othersight that was a glorified notepad this sight change the font size and auto zoomes for you makeing for easeyer read the othersight if yiu agusted font size stayed in the same format a notepad wish i coukd help you with the word doc maby its as simple as not get the first or las paragraph in the coppy when you first coppy it over a simple fix for reading it offline is called saave for offline reading in your Web browser i know ie gets alot of crap but it made this feature a realety ie has it idk about croam but who knows just google "how to save for offline reading webpafe Googlecroam" im sure yoy will fine million answers good luck bankers trust lol goodluck hope this helps

On side note anyone herd from magus last fue days

Edited by MajorMarioc

Hi folks, is there any reason why when I go to MS Word to re-read GITG, Word stops working. I can get to read stories from the old site, but when I try to read BITG, GITG and SITG Word stops working. Is it something to do with AFF? I have repaired Word but it still stops working.

How exactly are you accessing the stories? Do you have them saved for offline reading? If so, how did you save them and in what format?

They are written in word 2004. It might have something to do with that

And I am not dead, not yet, just had my daughter visiting, sorry I dropped off the grid but my baby girl comes first.

Don't get to see her as much as I would like, she's up in BW's neck of the woods

Lol I was thinking alphabet men asked you to do another job lol

not with a fresh hole in me...even they aren't that stupid...right?

oh and thanks for the reprieve Crazy :D

Guest Rescue25

not with a fresh hole in me...even they aren't that stupid...right?

oh and thanks for the reprieve Crazy :D

Like they really give a damn about you?? They just want something done!!

Guest bankerstrust

Hi folks, I "select all" (the web page), then copy, open new Word document, paste, save as, in folder GITG or whatever, close document, close web page and that's it. It has so far saved 63 + 63 + 3 chapters in three different folders, and I have had no trouble until last week. I have read and re-read each story a few times without any problem. I did start proof reading BITG, and got so far, but unfortunately my wife who has now joined me on 71is bedridden, and I don't get much, if any spare tome at the moment to concentrate. The way it is going I don't know whether to try copying them again.

It doesn't sound like it's an AFF issue if you're just doing a copy and paste of the chapter text. I'm pretty sure magus isn't burying some arcane Word-killing html in the chapters, or at least not on purpose.

Try recopying one chapter and see if it works. I'd do a recent one, since this is a new issue.

And I have to ask... did you work for BT? You can tell me to stop being incurably curious, but I worked for them in NYC, hence my asking. :D

Guest Guest

Hi BronxWench. What I forgot to say in my last post was that the problem not only affects my laptop (from which I posted the previous message,) but also my desktop from which I am posting this. Desktop runs Windows 7 pro with MS Office Home & Business 2010, and my Vaio laptop runs Windows 8.1 with MS Office Home & Business 2013. When I click on chapter 52 of GITG which was where I got to re-reading, it brings the chapter up, then immediately on top of the chapter it tells me Word has stopped working.

I have re-copied chapter one of BITG, but instead of saving it in Word I saved it as a PDF file which I can open and read, and has the added bonus of being able to transfer it to my Kobo e-reader in PDF format if I so wish. It appears therefore it is not the computer, as it is the same on both, I have deleted and re-installed Home & Business 2010 on my desktop and the problem still exists, so I am running out of options.

I did make a statement to magusfang to help proofread, and I still notice the occasional error, and I don't like to break my word. I will try to save chapter one of BITG in Word again, then save each chapter up to 63 inPDF and Word. I pay Adobe good money for the privilege of converting Word documents to PDF and vice versa, but it is so annoying that everything went swimmingly for so long, then suddenly this happens, which makes me think there is either a virus, which my McAfee virusscan says there isn't, or AFF have changed something.

I assume my e-mail address pops up somewhere in this forum for you to ask the next question, the answer is no, I didn't work for BT, my first name is Bernard, and my surname begins with a T and I worked all my working life for the same Bank in England, which is why I chose the name Bankerstrust. You of all people should know it was (maybe still is) the name of a once well respected Bank in America. 2008 is not the year but is my date of birth, so having told you earlier how old my wife and I are you now know my when I was born.

Having said all that I just love magusfang's stories, although I see he has hidden the latest SITG under fantasy and science fiction. Is that supposed to tell us something? Whatever it is the whole lot are compulsive reading. Keep up the good work magusfang, and I promise, when I can get the chapters back together I will try and spend some time proofreading the rest and send them to you.

Oh, my! I was simply curious because I did work for Bankers Trust in NYC for several years, while my sister worked first at BT NYC and then at London Branch. I actually worked in what was called the Deutsche Bank building, after Deutsche bought BT.

As far as AFF, we haven't changed anything with respect to how the database functions, so I don't think it's us. I will say that McAfee is probably bottom of my list for antivirus programs. I've found McAfee misses a great deal. Kapersky is very good if you are willing to pay for an antivirus program. If you prefer a free program, Antivir's Avira has been very reliable.

You should be able to create a working Word file with the method you're using. Have you considered a freeware office suite like LibreOffice? I use that as well as Office 2010, and the .odt format is stable and has a smaller file size, which generally indicates less hidden coding. The word processor in LibreOffice is very easy to use, and reminds me of older versions of Word, with a simpler menu bar at the top.

Aside from that, perhaps our tech admin will be able to help, or perhaps magus can email you the chapters rather than you having to copy and paste them. I know editing in .pdf is mindnumbingly awful.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.