Click Here!

Flashbacks in Fiction

BronxWench

I am working on a fanfic that is turning out to be mostly flashbacks and dreams. Of course, I'm not using those idiotic 'flashback tags' or whatever--I can't stand that crap, either. My writing flows (for the most part), and the reader doesn't have to be told by the omniscient author that what's occuring is a memory. The memory is already implied.

What I am concerned about is this: how much is too much? Can an author go overboard with flashbacks, even if they are relevant to the current timeline in the story?

• 4 months later...

tags in chapters get on my goat. I don't need to see what is going to happen by putting the tag on the front summary at the very start I know what to expect. It's then up to the author to convey what is happening and when in a way that flows smoothly. If I have to stop and read about it then it spoils the element of surprise. I want to read the passage and then go "holy freaking batman!" not "ah there it is." total mood killer.

Edited by Hairyhaggis

Sometimes an author needs to add tags to a story which has evolved in a way they didn't anticipate, and we all get that, but the tags should be put at the top of the first chapter if they won't fit in the summary field. Putting them at the top of each chapter only works for drabble collections and round robins.

I heart tagging chapters of fanfic! I get off on mind tripping with music I want readers to believe is mine. Then, I go back por la fin (end scene) and throw ya an A.N. and shoutouts.

I love astrikses as well. I use them in place of quote notation to separate musical quotes (i.e. lyrics) which inspired the chapter from those within the chapter.

On that note....................

*demented laughter*

Edited by space oddity

• 1 month later...