Handedness

Guest echtrae

Which hand do you favor most?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which hand do you favor most?

• I use mostly my left hand.
    • I use mostly my right hand.
    • I use both hands fairly equally.

Mostly right handed, but I always try and use my left hand when I think about it for some tasks because I never know when I'll break me arm, or have my right hand cuffed to something and need to... uh... dial for help.

one of my friends has a brain tumor and one day it numbed her right side, so she's learning to use her left for writing. Its a real struggle for her. She said when her right hand suddenly didn't work (she was in a restaurant at the time) she was angry that it didn't follow her directions.

I know what you mean. I do the same thing. I can take notes on paper and use the mouse at the same time.

Whenever we have guests over or I'm eating with a bunch of people who don't know me that well yet, they all give me weird looks and keep staring at my plate. Finally, they ask me, "Weren't you using your other hand a minute ago?"

I don't like it when people stare at me while I'm trying to eat, but it's fun watching their gobsmacked expressions. Those who know me now make a game out of it. With which hand is Eve going to hold the spoon? There are variations on this game - there are times when I subconsciously switch hands in the middle of a meal. Another fun activity is trying to figure out which hand penned my signature. Both signatures are nearly identical.

freak.gif I love being ambidextrous!

Right handed, but since using the left is ungodly and the work of the devil I try to involve it whenever possible.

LOl, it's good to know you're doing your part Red. LOL

I'm left-handed, though I do use my right hand considerably. I'm a drummer so, yeah, gotta be able to do that. smile.gif

Well, supposedly it's a ratio of 80% right handed people and 20% left handed ones. Of the 20% that are left handed, the majority are male.

Of cours you know what they say...

If the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body, and vice versa... then left handed people are the only ones in their right minds.

most men are colorblind as well, but the gene is carried by the female, even though the female is not colorblind. It's attached to that extra little sex-defining chromosome. so, loosely defined, colorblindness is a sexual trait, then, follows, lefthandedness as well...one would think....

silly SJ, the most men can see colors quit well thank you tongue.gif I certainly can

Of course I'm sure what she meant was that colorblindness occurred most commonly in men

Left handedness is largely a genetic trait also I'm not entirely sure why left handedness is so uncommon among humans but I DO have a guess.

My theory is that perhaps at some point in human cultural development the right handed people of the world started to oppress those of the other handedness. Because of society's desire to conform this caused a decrease in the amount of left handed peoople who could reproduce. Thus causing a decrease in incidence of the "left handed gene"

Interestingly, in the normal population about one in six people are left handed. Somthing like that. Curiously, excluding the "bi"s the left handed people make up a full 3rd of this community thus far.

And yes I know, this is My first post in ages.

Little known fact (or so I've been told)

Lefties tend to live on the average of 5 (or is it 7?) years less than righties

Polar bears are almost all lefties -

Now here's a couple of questions for you -

If polar bears were to switch to being righties would they really live longer?

And -

If you're an ambi - do you split the difference?

I thought it was a sad statistic myself - both of my aunts are lefties and once they survived Parochial School with most of their knuckles intact (gotta love those nuns and their rulers) they are quite happy. They just keep both eyes open for obvious safety issues. Although Aunt Jan did say she's never seen anything worse than the wooden ruler with the metal edge.