Click Here!

Music!

CloverReef

Here's the dealio:

I just went through my playlist and deleted all the music I don't listen to anymore, and I had 17 frickin songs left! Ha ha! It saddenned me, really. I'm almost embarrassed by my own lack of a musical repertoire. (Please excuse my craziness, I just moved to another province 6 days ago so I'm still a little wired.)

Anyhooo, where was I? Oh yes, I got to thinking as I was talking to a friend about why I like the music I like and why she likes the music she likes. She tends to like heavy music. Metal, heavy rock, that kinda thing. While I like a little bit of a number of genres. Something about the emotion in the singers voices, or in the music itself I guess. My mom once said to me when I was really little that words are powerful things and if you use a swear word too much, it loses its power. So I kinda feel that way about screaming in music. I love deep, intense music with a loud primal scream or two to emphasise the emotion, but if they scream all the time it starts to bore me.

So that's what I'm wondering with you guys. How do you feel about music? What is it about your favourite genre/band/song that appeals to you?

What do you listen to when you read/write? What inspires you? What song makes you stop what you're doing to listen?

For the fun of specifics, why don't we name songs too. Maybe I'll find something to add to my pitiful excuse for a playlist!

1. Name a song that gives you chills.

2. Name a song that you find sexy.

For me, for example, it would be:

1. "A Drowning" - by How to Destroy Angels.

2. "Tight" - by Mindless Self Indulgence

I just lost my entire playlist in a "whoknowswhathappened" thing. I always put back Springsteen, and Rufus Wainright's Alleluia. Otherwise, my music choices are probably too weird for mainstream, side stream, well, any stream.

Lick by Joi is one good "channel your inner pole dancer" song.

I just lost my entire playlist in a "whoknowswhathappened" thing. I always put back Springsteen, and Rufus Wainright's Alleluia. Otherwise, my music choices are probably too weird for mainstream, side stream, well, any stream.

Lick by Joi is one good "channel your inner pole dancer" song.

Awesome. What's weird about your other music choices? Now you've got me all curious!

Awesome. What's weird about your other music choices? Now you've got me all curious!

I like Irish folk music: The High Kings, Dubliners, the Young Dubliners and the Chieftains -- leaning towards the Spanish influenced albums. I also have John Lee Hooker, Jim Byrne, both blues, and bluegrass. I do have a lot of Spanish music as well.

Now seriously, isn't that a weird combination?

I like Irish folk music: The High Kings, Dubliners, the Young Dubliners and the Chieftains -- leaning towards the Spanish influenced albums. I also have John Lee Hooker, Jim Byrne, both blues, and bluegrass. I do have a lot of Spanish music as well.

Now seriously, isn't that a weird combination?

LOL it is! But variety is the spice of life. I like blues too. My CD collection is a range of riot grrl punk, industrial metal, indie pop, and old 50s jazz. Though I do like Blues. Maybe I'll have a look-see into Jim Byrne.

LOL it is! But variety is the spice of life. I like blues too. My CD collection is a range of riot grrl punk, industrial metal, indie pop, and old 50s jazz. Though I do like Blues. Maybe I'll have a look-see into Jim Byrne.

I like his song, The River.

He is also and actor, and played Joe Dawson on the TV series, Highlander. I loved how he played on the show, and found the CD after.

I like his song, The River.

He is also and actor, and played Joe Dawson on the TV series, Highlander. I loved how he played on the show, and found the CD after.

I have a decent share of indie stuff too, mostly locals. :D

Some of my favorites:

- Within Temptation (metalish)

- Epica (Some screaming, but not alot)

- Emilie Autumn (interesting lyrics)

Wow, what obscure mentions! Love it. I checked them all out. Emilie Autumn is so strange, I'm absolutely fascinated, thank you!

My tastes are pretty much stuck in the '80s, so if I had to pick only one of each on the spot...

* "Time Stand Still" by Rush

* "Venus" by Bananarama

For #1 I can come up with quite a few. I even made a "chilling mix" CD years ago. When I'm not feeling lazy I'll make a playlist for it. :)

Ha! Bananarama, such a classic. I love "Venus", I used to rollar blade to that song!

I can't speak to what I listen to for writing inspiration, as that's not my thing. But, I do have things I listen to for my art, depending on my mood, and what it is I'm doing. Hell, I even listen to stuff when I'm cleaning and whatnot to motivate me.

For when I'm painting, I tend to stick to classical, as it's unobtrusive and doesn't distract me.

Wow, what obscure mentions! Love it. I checked them all out. Emilie Autumn is so strange, I'm absolutely fascinated, thank you!

Friends intro'd them all to me, so passing on the favor! Emilie Autumn's lyrics just amuse me, that's why I keep listening to her LOL! The other two came from another friend who's really into metal (I'm not) and he was on a quest to find metal that I'd like and those two were the result!

If you don't already use it, I really recommend Pandora for finding new music. You put in a song/artist/etc and it pulls songs that it thinks are similar based on this complex program it runs, comparing lyrics, genre, musicality, etc. I've found some really neat stuff via Pandora.

Friends intro'd them all to me, so passing on the favor! Emilie Autumn's lyrics just amuse me, that's why I keep listening to her LOL! The other two came from another friend who's really into metal (I'm not) and he was on a quest to find metal that I'd like and those two were the result!

If you don't already use it, I really recommend Pandora for finding new music. You put in a song/artist/etc and it pulls songs that it thinks are similar based on this complex program it runs, comparing lyrics, genre, musicality, etc. I've found some really neat stuff via Pandora.

LOVE Pandora! :D

LOVE Pandora! :D

Yeah I tried Pandora, but the site says its not accessible to Canada for some reason. I do use last.fm on occassion. It apparently gives you music from people's playlists who like the same things you do. So far I've discovered that people who listen to the things I listen to suck! No, I'm kidding... kinda (Hm, what does that say about me?)

Give Jango try. It can be a pain to make it play the songs you want it to, but if you're persistent you'll get them. Also *whistles innocently* if you clear your browser cache first and then watch the files that show up in the directory you may accidentally find that some are actually MP3s (though with weird names and no extension). I listened to a bunch of Emilie Autumn on there and somehow those files moved themselves to my music directory. Weird.

I have a weird taste in music, and I have little fits where I fall head over heels for something, and don't listen to anything other than that one band/singer for weeks and even months, and then just as suddenly stop listening. I just get sick of it. The last "music fit" that I had was Adam Lambert. Loved him, for all of seven weeks... haven't listened to a single song since last July.

But my general taste spans from classical symphonies, to soft rock, to hard rock, metal and goth metal. And recently J-rock... ^_^

I don't listen to music much when I write, but every so often I feel the need to have something blaring out of the computer, while I'm working. Usually when I'm home alone, and the quiet in the house starts to make me paranoid.

For me, music is a necessary part of life, I would go crazy on the bus if I didn't have my music. But I have no idea why certain types of music (usually hard rock or metal) appeal to me, maybe I'm just such an angry person. I have a few favorite songs that are on the verge of being death metal, and I relax like I'm doing yoga when I hear them. It's weird.

Music usually doesn't inspire my writing, but I have had an idea or two sparked by something in the song.

So, as for the original question, I've got a few.

For the fun of specifics, why don't we name songs too. Maybe I'll find something to add to my pitiful excuse for a playlist!

Classical:

1. Beethoven's 9th or Vivaldi's Four seasons

2. Für Elise (Beethoven)

Goth metal:

1. O Fortuna by Therion.

2. Over the Hills and Far away by Nightwish.

Rammstein:

1. Ohne dich. (album: Rosenrot (I think))

2. Ich tu dir veh. (album: Liebe ist für alle da)

And the J-Rock band I'm in love with at the moment is called Nightmare (Naitomea). They have a song called "Rakuu" (or "Ochiwa" depending on who you ask) which just makes me all giddy inside.

As for a song that I find sexy in their discography, there are a couple. "Nothing you lose" or "Lost in blue", are two and "Lulu" and "Cyan" are both very nice.

I'm not going to go into it why I love their music, but I just think they're awesome.

And that's it for my two cents.

Just SOME of my favorite classical and opera stuff

1. Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata

2. Beethoven symphonies (any)

3. Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake

4. Mozart - Marriage of Figaro

5. Mozart - Die Zauberflöte

6. Holst - The Planets; Mars, The Bringer of War and Jupiter the Bringer of Jollity

7. R. Strauss - Also sprach Zarathustra

8. R. Strauss - Der Rosenkavalier

9. Wagner - Tannhäuser

10. Wagner - Der Ring des Nibelungen

11. Chopin - Nocturne in E-flat major, Op. 9, No. 2

Metal, lots and lots of metal...and I don't think it has anything to do with anger ya know. More a rowdy thing than anything.

Metal bands I listen to (and like most of their stuff)...again just a sampling

1. Black Sabbath

2. AC/DC

3. Rammstein

4. Drowning Pool

5. Blue Oyster Cult

6. Judas Priest

7. Led Zeppelin

8. Metallica

And there's loads and loads more...

Now, what I DON'T listen to are country, rap and hip hop

oh yeah, listening to Reise, Reise and that's the CD with Ohne Dich :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have a HUGE assortment of music I listen to. To name the main: nearly any type of Rock, Country (not so much anymore), Classical (need more), Oldies, WTF?? music, and Foreign.

I listen to VERY little pop/hip hop and no rap (besides the outlier songs that actually have a good point, such as Handlebars by the Flobots)

I simplified Foreign since I listen to an extensive collection, such as: Finish, Swedish, German, Italian, Irish, French, Japanese, Chinese, and obviously English. I need some Spanish and Arabic...

1. The closest song that gives me chills is a redo of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor by Vanessa Mae, a Chinese violinist. Or Requiem of the Gods by Apocalyptica, a (I think) Finnish group that only uses three cellos and a drum. Or Wolfen (Das Tier in Mir) by E Nomine. Hogawd! That's a guy singing!

2. A 'sexy' song that is awesome is The Voice by Celtic Woman. I forget which one actually sings this song, but her voice is sooo pretty!!

1. S.O.S. (Anything But Love-) by Apocalyptica

2. Pain- By Three Days Grace

I second the recommendation for within temptation, it's a great band.

I listen to pretty much everything but country, so what I listen to for inspiration depends on what I'm writing. Occasionally a song will inspire me and I'll leave it on repeat until I'm done writing.

I would suggest you get together with friends to do a music exchange to beef up your library. I do it with my friends every now and again. It definitely keeps my music collection surprising, good or bad lol.

• 1 month later...

Goodness. Well, I keep telling myself to clean out my playlist, but when you have 300+ hours of music on your computer alone... I at least got rid of the duplicate songs in my Anime OST folder. Speaking of which, if you like JPop and anime soundtracks, Gendou.com is free for downloading music. As far as I can tell it hasn't been targeted for copyright law because it distributes music that is not readily available otherwise. Some good bands are Ali Project, Tommy February, Maaya Sakamoto, Gackt, and Larcenciel (at least I think so). Cowboy Bebop has alot of English music too (i.e. The Seatbelts) if JPop isn't your thing. Just a quick place to beef up your music file.

I like all sorts of music. If it's in existence I probably listen to it even on a picky level (my Country file only has eight songs in it, though Cash and Nelson have their own folders). I've been on a pop and rap binge lately, listening mostly to Lady Gaga and Busta Rhymes with Portishead thrown in there to keep the mood subtle. In my playlists over the past month these are the following songs that haunt my playlists:

"In the Ghetto" Busta Rhymes ft. Rick James

"Fire" Busta Rhymes

"Mr. Roboto" Styx

"Snakes" Voltaire

"Driven Under" Seether

"Last One Alive" Vast

"India" Deep Forest

"Symmetry" Dethklok for Metalocalypse OST

"If you seek Amy" Britney Spears

"Alejandro" Lady Gaga

"Paper Gangsta" Lady Gaga

"Only You" (french version) Portishead

"Glory Box" Portishead

"New Legs" Daniel Licht of Showtime's Dexter OST

"Mayonaka no Door" Liu Ye Fei for the Powerpuff Girls Z OST

"Rap Name" Obie Trice

"Sally's Song" Fiona Apple, rendition of Sally's Song for The Nightmare Before Christmas OSt

"Stylo" Gorillaz

"Superfast Jellyfish" Gorillaz

1. "Clockwork Orange" Tangerine Dream for A Clockwork Orange OST & "Bloodlines" Dethklok for Metalocalypse OST

2. "Prison Sex" Tool & "Touch Me and I'll Scream Part 2" My Morning Jacket

• 2 months later...

Yay, a perfect topic!

The song that never fails to send shivers down my spine is 'Since I've been loving you' by Led Zeppelin. I'm always listening in awe. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

The sexiest of sexy song is 'First Orgasm' by the Drseden Dolls. I just love it when Amanda makes that special groany low voice.

Oh. My. God. I can't believe someone mentioned the Dresden Dolls. Thank you Mischief. I just discovered them a couple months ago and I am currently madly in love with Amanda Palmer, lol.

Anyhoo I saw a few reccommendations there for Within temptation so I guess I'll be checking them out soon! I do love some songs off the cowboy bebop soundtrack. Mostly the ones performed by mai yamane. Love her voice. Too bad I can't find any personal albums from her.

I've been on a pop and rap binge lately, listening mostly to Lady Gaga and Busta Rhymes with Portishead thrown in there to keep the mood subtle.

Portishead is awesome. I don't listen to them much anymore, but I always keep at least one Portishead song on my playlist at all times.

I have a weird taste in music, and I have little fits where I fall head over heels for something, and don't listen to anything other than that one band/singer for weeks and even months, and then just as suddenly stop listening. I just get sick of it. The last "music fit" that I had was Adam Lambert. Loved him, for all of seven weeks... haven't listened to a single song since last July.

lmfao, I can totally relate. I went on an adam Lambert fit too for awhile. I still listen to him though, but not as obsessively.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.