Click Here!

Put Your Pairings In The Summary Please

Guest Pink Lace

Guest Pink Lace

I'm not picky about what's in the fic. N/C, Inc, Tort, Humil, Tent, Snuff, B-mod, BDSM, whatever is all fine. No matter how hardcore it is, I can handle it...provided the pairing is ok.

For example, it's fine with me if it's Draco and his father doing nasty things to each other. They are the evil types, so ok bring on the whips and chains! I wouldn't read hardcore N/C BDSM Ron/Ginny though, that's just too un-canon. ph34r.gif

I don't know why some people make it a huge mystery what the pairings are, it just drives me out of my mind when I have to read 3,000 words of a fic just to find out who gets it on with who.

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi
I'm not picky about what's in the fic. N/C, Inc, Tort, Humil, Tent, Snuff, B-mod, BDSM, whatever is all fine. No matter how hardcore it is, I can handle it...provided the pairing is ok.

For example, it's fine with me if it's Draco and his father doing nasty things to each other. They are the evil types, so ok bring on the whips and chains! I wouldn't read hardcore N/C BDSM Ron/Ginny though, that's just too un-canon. ph34r.gif

I don't know why some people make it a huge mystery what the pairings are, it just drives me out of my mind when I have to read 3,000 words of a fic just to find out who gets it on with who.

Not to mention that Incest is a major squick with me. Especially Father/Son incest (though, sibling incest I can do as long as it's well written). Of course, at the same time, unless I love the author and pairing, I won't read a PWP. They don't do anything for me.

Though, I can understand why someone would leave out the pairing. I've done it, but really that was because the pairing wasn't that important to the story for the most part.

But if it's a romance fic, then I want to know the characters.

In most cases, I want to be informed of the pairing(s) in a fic. Especially if the pairing is unconventional, central to the fic, or is mentioned within a fic for a fair part of it. If it's a conventional pairing that's only mentioned in passing once, then I don't care because anyone can easily skip over it.

For example, if the fic is about a developing relationship between Draco and Ginny, then the author has to put D/G in the summary. If a side plot involves this pairing, then put D/G in the summary, because otherwise I'll keep going blink.gif throughout the whole thing, even if it is concentrated on something else.

Let's go back to the first fic example. If R/Hr is mentioned just once, skip it in the summary because it's not necessary. If R/Hr is mentioned several times and it's more than 3 seconds in passing, then it's probably a good idea to mention R/Hr in the summary, and not just because of the R/Hr vs. H/Hr battle going on in the fandom which often manifests itself in the D/G section of the fandom.

I once remember reading a Hagrid/Ginny fic, but I didn't find out until the end because the pairing was not mentioned in the summary. Ron/Ginny was mentioned in the summary. Basically, Ginny is in bed with her lover and is recounting her sexual history with Ron to him (though why she would do that is beyond me). The way it's worded, you know that her lover at the moment isn't Ron. She and her lover do have sex, but it's not explicit. At the very end, we find out that her lover is Hagrid.

All right, the Hagrid/Ginny mention is very brief in passing, despite the fact that they're in bed together the whole time. I mean, the majority of the fic is her history with Ron, which is why it makes perfect sense to include Ron/Ginny in the summary. However, the fact that the present pairing is so unconventional is reason enough to include the pairing in the summary. I mean, if her lover was Harry, Draco, Hermione, Luna, Neville, Blaise, etc. (take your pick, people), I don't think it would have bothered me as much, seeing as how these pairings are reasonable and/or popular on some level, and having it mentioned in brief passing wouldn't have bothered me, even if it was a surprise.

Come to think of it, I think if it was Luna/Ginny instead, the whole "recounting an incestuous history" would have made some sense to me. I mean, Luna strikes me as the type of person who'd want to know and wouldn't judge. The only warning I'd want in that case would be F/F without having to mention the specific pairing.

Guest Jackie_Boi

I hate it when author's don't put the pairing in the summary. I usually stay away from em if I have no idea who's in it. It's a shame too, cos it could have been a wonderful story =/

On the subject of incest, I'm pretty against reading, but, I did come across a well written piece in the Troy catigory. It's a Hector/Paris fic and it's pretty damn good. I hope the author hasn't stopped writing it tho, cos I checked their livejournal and it hasn't been updated there or on AFF. Here it is if any of you guys want to check it out.

Favorite Son

While I understand the desire to know the pairing before you commit to reading a story, I must admit I don't always do it. Sometimes it ruins a plot twist to spell it out.

The story I am currently working on is mainly as Severus/Hermione pairing, and that's the category that I put it into, but it starts out as a Trio pairing and deviates into another pairing (not telling who) towards the end. I did not put anything in the summary about the other pairings because I don't want to spoil the surprise. I do, however, put the predominate pairing(s) at the top of each chapter. So far I haven't received any complaints. Also, I explained in my 1st chapter ANs that yes, it really is a SS/HG story even if it looks like a H/R/Hr story.

Guest Pink Lace

Well if there is no hardcore content, it's not so bad but if the summary says Incest, Torture, Anal Rape, etc. don't you think people would like to know who is being tortured? It's one thing for one villian to torture another but quite another to have a sweet old grandmother character being anally raped and whipped. We are talking different levels of torture here. Surely you wouldn't want to have someone whose gramps just died to read that sort of thing?

I prefer to know the main pairing myself, although it is difficult if there's more than one. I ran into that problem with one of my own fics. As I generally write SS/OFC, that's a no-brainer, it's right there in the coding/summary. However, my WIP is a story on a very large scale. It isn't just an OFC; I also have a Snape/Narcissa pairing, Harry/Hermione, Draco/Pansy, Snape/Pansy and some activity with Ginny/Remus and Ginny/Remus/Hermione. I think that's it. (It sounds demented and out there, just a sex-fest, I know, but really, it's not, it all works, trust me wink.gif ) So how am I supposed to fit all that in a summary? And to reveal all that in an AN would ruin the story (which I guess I kind of just did!) No compaints, so far, and I'm working on the last chapter, so I guess it's not an issue.

There are certain pairings that I just don't want to read; like Pink, it's not what they're doing, but who's doing it. But reading what I just wrote above, I guess I'm guilty of doing that exact same thing. huh.gif

Guest phil21088

I prefer to see the pairing's before i read (don't bash me but M/M aint my thing) but i'd like to see people use the story codes a little more (and a bit more accurately)

but i'd like to see people use the story codes a little more (and a bit more accurately)

True, but it can be difficult sometimes. If you have a lot of codes, it takes up space, thereby limiting your summary, so one thing or the other is going to sufffer. More detail can be given in an AN, but a lot of people skip over those, then complain. But you're right, if a story is M/M that should be noted, without question. And the parties involved, if they're the main players.

I started reading a story once that had a lot going on, they couldn't possibly code everything. They made mention of a particular thing that squicked me and that's when they lost me. They never said anything in their AN about it (which I do read). I was like, I know people are into that, but uh...no, thanks.

Some thoughts:

I wish the site overlords would allow longer summaries. I understand you don't want to get too big, but another 25-50 words would help without getting too cumbersome, I think.

While I usually like knowing the pairings before I start a fic, I have run across a few where putting that in ruins a twist at the end of the story. Ones where we know who one character is, but not the other.

Use the story codes! I recently ran across a fic that hit one of my squicks without warning. Not good. For some people, any amount of (insert your sqick here) is too much.

I have run across a few where putting that in ruins a twist at the end of the story. Ones where we know who one character is, but not the other.

Agreed! Agreed! I rather like stories with a twist and not knowing who one of the parties is, that's what makes it great. Funny, this thread is playing into the dilemma I have for a short fic I have planned. Noting the pairing isn't so much the problem, it's one of the codes. And I absolutely have to put the code in and reiterate it in the AN (major squick alert for some folks). But that's going to ruin the twist at the end, and I want it to be one of those OMG!!! moments. **shaking head sadly** The more I think about this, the more I realize the simple truth; I'm screwed. sad.gif

Guest Melody Fate

It's a tough line to cross when you want the couple to be a surprise.

Personally? I think as long as you're not doing something that would offend a great majority of people, and it is essential to the plot that you don't tell the pairing, go for it.

Yes, if you aren't following someone elses OTP, they might bitch. But you know? I'm convinced there are reviewers out there who must find a reason to bitch. They feel no one will take them seriously as a reviewer if they don't bitch. The problem being that while, "I really think it's important for you to flesh out your narative," is helpful, "OMG! Vegeta and ChiChi? NO. No way. WRONG WRONG WRONG!" is pretty much just looking for something to bother you.

Yes, I admit, I want to get warned if there is going to be a major kink coming up in the sex scene, but when I say major kink, I'm usually talking about something you could be arrested for. Yes, I know, anal is illegal, but is it enforced? Never heard of someone being arrested for having buttsex. Necrophila? Yeah, you get arrested for that. They enforce that law.

If I were going to write a fanfic with a "surprise" couple, if the couple went against fandom (Like for example, Vegeta ends up with ChiChi) I might put "Complete purists to canon might not appreciate this story. I will not say anymore because I do not want to spoil it for the readers."

Yeah, people might bitch, but hey, some will find reasons anyway.

Good comments, very interesting conversation. I agree that putting in warning for major squicks is a must.

This is my summary:

Prequel to Hermione's Detention (read that first). Tells how Snape & Hermione ended up together and what happened in the Room of Requirements. HBP spoilers. WIP,M/M,F/M/M,F/M,Lemon,Oral,SoloF,Voy

On top of that I put warnings and pairing info at the top of every chapter, like this:

Chapter Title: Forbidden Fruit: Longing

Author: Nanaea

Archived: Nope. Ask me.

Chapter Summary: Hermione begins to see Professor Snape in whole new light.

Chapter Rating/Warnings: NC-17 for explicit sex; solo, ménage à trois, voyeurism (sorta), slightly angsty, and a dash of slash.

Chapter Pairings: Harry/Ron/Hermione

Feedback: Love it! Please rate & review! Constructive comments will be considered; flames will be laughed at.

Beta: OllieOop

Disclaimer: All characters belong to the goddess that is J.K.R. I’m just borrowing them live out my sick fantasies and because, frankly, Severus really needs to get some. I do this purely for my own enjoyment. I make no money from it, claim no rights to it, and have a mortal fear of lawyers.

"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards." (Robert Heinlein)

Now, after our recent conversation about the definition of slash I may decide to go back and change these warnings slightly. Also, I really like the way Melody does her warnings, I just might borrow from her example. wink.gif

I'm rather fond of labelling as well. It's seriously no fun to run into a paring that make you retch. What I hate even more is when a summary is misleading! I fucking hate that. Oooh...or lack of warning for a love triangle. I hate love triangle fics, they're often so badly written and you can always tell who ends up with who long before the story ends.

Guest Melody Fate
I really like the way Melody does her warnings, I just might borrow from her example. wink.gif

*Blush* Thanks.

Your summary/warnings look good to me. They seem to cover just about everything.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Melody Fate
I don't add the pairings in my summaries, because there is very little room in that section. They should allow for more room there I think.

A good way around that is to put the couples at the top of the first chapter. But I agree, it would be nice if we had more space for both the summary and the warnings.

Guest Pepperedjack

More room in the summary space would be grand.

I used story codes, because I don't mind giving fair warning, and it's the right thing to do. The trouble with the story I'm writing now, it's a crossover, and we're looking at all sorts of pairings across fandoms, too many to squeeze into the summary. Plus, the acronyms would get confusing in a hurry.

On top of that, I want the reader to experience a twinge of anticipation over who's going to be with who.

From what I'm reading here, that's not what readers want at all. And I can't imagine placing author's notes warnings at the start of every chapter: "Okay in case you haven't picked up on the foreshadowing and character interactions up to this point, character x and character y will now get it on. This is your only and final warning!"

Guest Pink Lace
From what I'm reading here, that's not what readers want at all. And I can't imagine placing author's notes warnings at the start of every chapter: "Okay in case you haven't picked up on the foreshadowing and character interactions up to this point, character x and character y will now get it on. This is your only and final warning!"

As a matter of fact, I personally do. Especially if it's yaoi/any other non-canon pairing. What's the point of even bothering to load a page if it's something I have absolutely no interest in whatsover...or maybe even something that makes me want to puke?

Guest Melody Fate
And I can't imagine placing author's notes warnings at the start of every chapter: "Okay in case you haven't picked up on the foreshadowing and character interactions up to this point, character x and character y will now get it on.  This is your only and final warning!"

I have to disagree with you on that, especially if the story is going in all sorts of directions. The story I'm working on now, I've had three-ways, begging, violence, F/f, so on and so forth. While some might really love the regular het, some might squick at the F/f. Some might adore the F/f, but squick at the humilation. I feel I have an obligation to warn people so they aren't suddenly handed a big "surprise" they weren't expecting.

Guest Serenanna

Given I'm going to be using a surprise plot twist with no warning coming up, and am doing my best to keep it underwraps, I gotta weigh in on this topic. In my opinion, once you say lemon in the course of a warning, all forms of hetero sex are covered from handjobs to frottage to oral to intercourse, anything an average person would find gratifying. The same can be applied to yuri and yaoi. Readers looking just for that will know what to expect. Once you get to something exotic like using a sword hilt as a dildo, you need a specific warnings.

Sometimes even titles and summaries can be warnings in an of themselves.

Case in point, my fic Vanilla. My summary is as follows:

Vanilla

Or How Edward Elric Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Dairy. No dairy products were harmed in the production of this dirty piece of smut . . . well . . . Ed/Winry PWP, M/F, Lemon, Oral, Fun with Food

Now, what do you think that fic was about? Butter? rolleyes.gif

On pairings, the only one you really have to put down is what the fic focuses on, even if the couple is canon. To use Naruto's huge cast as an example, if the story is about Kakashi/Sakura, but has Naruto/Hinata, Lee/Tenten, and Choji/Ino just mentioned in the course of the story without much fic-time spent on them, putting them in summary is superfluous. In my case, the story I'm currently working on has equal time spent on both Roy/Riza and Ed/Winry, so both should be placed in the summary. If the reader doesn't like one pairing, they can skip over the parts they don't wanna read. Thus far no one's complained about either.

While more space would be nice, really, I don't need it myself. I like to keep summaries short, and just hint at the potential plot. I find summaries that are amusing, teasing, and clever without giving a complete outline on what to expect work better in the long run.

This is, of course, just my opinion.

Sere

Guest Pepperedjack

Well, just to be clear on what I said in my last post, I don't mind placing warnings about, for example: homosexual couples, or bondage or something like that. I don't want to spring something like that on the reader.

But I'm not sure I want to warn about who's doing the horizontal rumba with whoever. To summarize, I'd warn readers that fxf action is going to take place, I don't want to tell them it's character x and character z, as opposed to a and x. Is that so wrong in many readers eyes? That would be interesting to know.

If the reader actually likes the story, I would think the character interaction might tip them off ahead of time, and they'd know to quit or skip over the next section.

There are many idiots in the world who lack an ability to make logical deductions in addition to being stupid. Many ot these idiots have access to the internet. Out of those idiots, there are many who read fanfiction.

The bright side: only a handful of them know how to use the review function.

I agree that we shouldn't have to label every last little detail. We want people to actually read the fic itself.

However, there are times when it's just safer to spell it out before-hand. Just as insurance against the few idiots who do know how to use the review function and know how to flame in chatspeak and emoticons. I'm not worried about them, but there are also plenty of articulate people who lack an ability to make logical deductions. There are a higher number of articulate clueless people out there who manage to master the review function.

As for something such as F/F pairings, sometimes it may be a good idea to name the pairing itself, especially if there are popular opposing F/F ships within the fandom. For example, there's actually a fair number of people out there arguing between Ginny/Hermione and Ginny/Luna. Not quite as many people as Harry/Draco vs. Harry/Tom, but still a fairly large number.

Let's say you write a F/F smutfic where you only mention Ginny in the summary. How important is the element of surprise when weighed against the risk of inadvertent misleading? If the element of surprise is a huge factor in how well the fic plays out, then take the risk, but in such a way that you keep within site rules. If the flames come, then prepare to take them in stride, because not all of them will be uncalled for. What I mean by that is, if someone flames the concept of lesbianism when you tag F/F, go ahead and defend yourself. If the women involved are 10 years apart in age and it squicks someone, they have a right to complain if you didn't put an age gap warning in there. If they plain don't like the specific pairing, they have a right to state that, but it may not be fair of them to let it cloud their judgement of the writing quality (even though many people do that).

Um, I'm not sure if I stated that clearly, but I hope it's at least comprehensible.

Personally, I feel that it's better to state the main pairings in the summary, and state minor pairings in the disclaimer of a chapter if the pairing is featured in the specific chapter. If there's any squick that's frequent in the fic, put it in the summary. If it's one instance, put the warning at the top of the chapter. That's the best solution I can find for keeping within the summary limit for a long fic while adhering to the rule about warnings in advance. If it's something like two different homosexual couples being featured in two different chapters of a ten-chapter fic, put Homo in the summary, and list the pairing above the chapter.

EveKnight, your HP example brings up another twist. In that fandom, there are dozens of options as to where to post your story. Sirius/Lupin, Snape/Hermione, Harry/Draco, etc. So the paring should be a no-brainer if you've posted in a specific sub-category, something other than General, M/M, F/F or Threesomes.

Of course, if it's heavily SS/HG let's say, but Ginny or Harry are involved in a threesome, yeah, that should probably be noted somewhere to appease the masses. Me, I like surprises. It's like when you see a book at the bookstore and only read the back cover, not much is revealed at all, they want you to buy the damn thing and find out for yourself. Of course, I've gotten burned plenty of times (where the back jacket is the best part)!