Click Here!

Crossovers To Cry To

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

I've come across many a crossover in my time reading stories on AFF.Net. Some where great, others made me wanna cry.

So, what crossovers do you see that make you pass up a fic completly?

I have so far been scared by the following:

Harry Potter/Gundam Wing

Harry Potter/LOTR

When I'm browsing around and I see a completely nonsensical crossover I just have to read the fic in question: it's either going to be really well done or really /badly/ done, and either way it'll be an, uh, interesting read.

Just recently I found a Green Day+fairy tale (Beauty and the Beast) fusion, which I'll probably go back and read fully later (I got halfway through the second chapter before the urge to dissolve into giggles became overwhelming).

Also, I vaguely recall a Gundam Wing/FFX crossover. All I remember about the fic itself is that Duo was Auron's kid.

Guest Melody Fate

I pretty much believe if someone has the skills, they can make any crossover work. I saw a DBZ/HP crossover once that worked.

On the other hand, a poor writer couldn't even make an Angel/Buffy crossover work.

Actually, HP/LOTR could work in it's own way. I don't see the two worlds as that outlandishly misplaced when I think about it. Harry Potter, both fortunately and unfortunately works well for crossovers because of the magic element. It gives you an easy way to get characters from one world into another and vice versa.

I suppose though, if I saw a "P0rn star meets Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy, hot sex to follow" would turn me off completely. Then again, I'm frightened of reading the Kids Next Door fictions I see on this site and they're not crossed over with anything. Just the whole concept of kids 10 and under having sex is my squick point.

I'm not partial to HP/Star Wars or HP/Naruto, (I find Naruto himself to be quite annoying, personally). I generally avoid the cross-over thing, unless something really seems to click.

One of my pet peeves are the PotO stories set in present day. Dudes, Erik dies before the turn of the century...the 20th century! I wouldn't mind so much if those were coded as AU, but they usually aren't, which only makes me think of some 160 yr old guy running around modern day Manhattan or whatever. But that's just my quirk.

Guest Melody Fate
One of my pet peeves are the PotO stories set in present day. Dudes, Erik dies before the turn of the century...the 20th century! I wouldn't mind so much if those were coded as AU, but they usually aren't, which only makes me think of some 160 yr old guy running around modern day Manhattan or whatever. But that's just my quirk.

Wasn't there an actual book published about that? Not a fanfiction, but a real book, taking place in the early 20th century?

Wasn't there an actual book published about that? Not a fanfiction, but a real book, taking place in the early 20th century?

Hmm...I don't know. I know there was a book back in the '80's that a lot of phans like, but I've never read; from what I heard about it, I always thought it was a prequel. I'm not a rabid PotO type, I just liked the orignal novel well enough to write one fafic and leave it at that.

I guess it really does depend on the crossovers. I've got two I'm working on, a Mechwarrior/Star Wars crossover, which only ignores timing of the two universes. (Star Wars took place in the past, Mechwarrior takes place several thousand years from now.) and a DBZ(GT)/Yu-Gi-Oh crossover based off a crack I made about Super Saiyajin Yugi.

What makes or breaks it depends on the characters and how they react it to the worlds mixing. Take the BGZ/YGO crossover for example. The mix is done through Millenium magic, which canon already shows has the ability to cross world boundaries. It crosses DBZ by tapping into the cards during a duel. The YGO characters handle it rather well, because they've done it before, in the cyber realm and the monster realm. The DBZ characters thin they're all nuts. Making Yugi a super saiyajin would never work, but having them all confuse him for one because of the Pharoah's manifestations does. Kaiba treats it as a game world, an expects it to fit the patterns etc.

The trick is making sure the characters fit they're personalities, not the world's personalities. In the above LOTR/HP fic, if Legolas is a student at Hogwarts, it fails. Because then he's no longer the Elven Archer Legolas, but a wizard that just happens to physically resemble that character. If instead Harry accidentally summmons him from a copy of the Return of the King, and Legolas proceeds to threaten Harry with an arrow to the skull fearing a Sauronish plot, then it is believeable, because he reacts in character.

Usually, what I see is a shameless attempt to pair up characters from differant worlds.

When I read the Harry Potter/Gundam Wing fic, it was an abvious and shameless excuse to write Harry/Wufei.

AU, thankfully, but it was poorly written. 44 chapters of pure CRACK!train wreckage. Terrifying stuff (and yet... I read all 44 chapters... )

I don't think that I've ever read a crossover fic. *Thinks* Ummm...No, I really can't recall. Perhaps it's just that a lot of the ones I've run into seem absurd. Well... "Hellsing" and "Vampire Hunter D" seemed pretty plausible, but it also seemed like a reason to write Alucard/D slash.

*shrugs* I don't know. I just don't like mixing my fandoms. It's hard enough to keep canon straight in one without trying to make two canons work without compromising too much with the other.

One I recently saw (not on AFF.net) was called Heero Potter (a Gundam Wing/ Harry Potter crossover.) Crossovers are a little more trickier than regular stories. The biggest question would be how do the characters interact with each other. If you're really wanting to see lots of badfic, just visit http://www.godawful.net . Of course, there are so many people there that they often have bandwith overloads. sad.gif

Generally, if something looks like it won't work, chances are it won't.

Guest Big Samurai

I decided, after seeing a crossover of Aa, Megami-sama! and the Metal Gear Solid series, that there is almost nothing in the world of 'fic that can surprise me.

Guest Big Samurai

cool.gif

If you can create a crossover that tops that, Wotan, you deserve many Naughty Points. As you can see, I have a bit of a stockpile.

Guest Serenanna

You know. I've had the inane idea to do a World of Warcraft/Full Metal Alchemist crossover as part of my little series. One Wish spell can mess up alot of things if worded right, including world-hopping with a purpose. It still seems cracked to me since it'll involve one female OC with an intent and a romantic subplot with a canon main character (Al) that could potentially hover on the edge of Sue-dom or be a good character. So, I don't know. It's still there, ticking in the back of my head like a time bomb waiting to be written or blown up in my face.

Sere

cool.gif

If you can create a crossover that tops that, Wotan, you deserve many Naughty Points.  As you can see, I have a bit of a stockpile.

Unfortunately, I don't know Aa, Megami-sama!, so I don't really know what I'm up against.

I was thinking, maybe, Maria-sama ga Miteru and Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution. But I'm not quite sure if that's weird enough.

Guest lightgoddess

I actually usually shy away from X-overs unless I know the author is a good writer. I read a HP/LOTR that worked well and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I tried to read a BtVS/HP and was lost in about 3 seconds.

I agree completely that a good cross-over actually depends on the author and how well they can keep the characters IC. Of course, I'll try to read anything....

I pretty much believe if someone has the skills, they can make any crossover work.  I saw a DBZ/HP crossover once that worked. 

On the other hand, a poor writer couldn't even make an Angel/Buffy crossover work. 

Actually, HP/LOTR could work in it's own way.  I don't see the two worlds as that outlandishly misplaced when I think about it.  Harry Potter, both fortunately and unfortunately works well for crossovers because of the magic element.  It gives you an easy way to get characters from one world into another and vice versa.

I agree completely, I like the idea of HPNaruto crossovers but some of them are truly horrible. I can only think of one that I really liked, but the author hasn't updated in months sad.gif

But I think I did see one that just struck me as being really odd, it was a Naruto/Gravitation Crossover. Very random and just weird.

I think I've seen a Sonic the Hedgehog / Potter crossover. That. . . that was just weird.

That's pretty...uh...wacked.

Just today, as I was committed to blowing off working while my supervisor was at a seminar, I stumbled across a Nightmare on Elm Street/HP fic. It was pretty gruesome and I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on. Voldemort (or was it Freddy?) having a chimera rape Sybil Trelawny. Weird, man. But I admit I was skimming through it.

Guest Mike256bit

Well, she probably deserved it. You don't mess with divination without inviting the beast upon your vagina. It's science.

Well, she probably deserved it. You don't mess with divination without inviting the beast upon your vagina. It's science.

blink.gif

Guest Pink Lace

Huh? I am surprised people don't like crossovers. I love them lots! They are so funny most of the time. smile.gif I thought the whole idea of crossovers was for the humor. I rarely see dead serious crossovers.

...oh do you mean adult fanfiction crossovers? *thinks* I liked the few that I read but they were PWP. I think if a fic is unashamedly PWP, readers should take it as such or not read it and complain about the mostly nonexistent plot. Sometimes there is no plot, just smut. *shrugs* I enjoy PWP (crossover or not) fics.