Click Here!

Suggestions for Archive cleanup and restructure

TonHyukOTP

Hello.

Could support for the old site's layout be implemented somehow, please? With all due respect to your work on upgrading, new interface make it actually harder to skew through stories lists. Lack of links to certain locations (like title folder) from "new updates" list also not helping. And direct chapter's links in constant view (especially for long stories) somewhat distract from reading.

Also, it would be great, if at least old style of headers would be restored or something similar put in place. Because, if I wanted to place story in browser Favorites, I had automatic format "story XXX", and now it's just a name of general archive, like "Adult-FanFiction.org Anime", which will make finding a certain story really inconvenient, if there is several (or several dozens) stories favourited. The best thing, imo, would be format like "AF [archive's name] [title of story] by [author's name]".

Best regards.

And there is no other way to implement similar functions? Also, I didn't mean browser BAR, I meant how links saved in Favorites. Or is that the same thing?

When you save your links in favorites, don't you have the option to name them? That's what I do, I name them by the title of the story and author so I know what I'm looking at. You could try that and see if it works for you.

CL

When you save your links in favorites, don't you have the option to name them?

If I'm saving them one by one. But usually I bookmark a group of several (or couple of dozens) threads at once ("save all currently open threads" function), in which case I only can name a folder and links will be stored with automatically assigned names. In that regard previous system was more convenient. Well, thanks for listening to my request anyway.

Guest kayjaypea

Make the site responsive. At phone width (phablet), increase both font size and line height, change navigation of chapters to a drop down and site nav to a hamburger style menu.

@kayjaypea

As I've said before, the site does not yet have a mobile skin. Selectable skins are a bit in to the future yet. In the meantime, we do try and keep things as mobile friendly as we can in the desktop version for now. To get to the point where we can start developing selectable skins, there is much more coding that has to be done first. The rest of the chapter functions, reviews, and much back end stuff that needs to be written yet.

• 3 months later...

Hi there! I'm a new member, so first of all I'd like to thank all the site admins and coders for their hard work in the restructuring of this site! I might be new to posting and writing here, but I've been reading AFF for a very long time, and this layout is a real improvement. Well done!

Now, I know that the ratings in their old format are gone, and that's fine, IMO. However, a lot of people don't actually review, and the hit counter (I'm assuming 'dragon prints' is a hit counter) also shows your own hits, so if you're like me and you tend to fiddle with the story, it's kinda misleading. Also, we don't know if the rest of those dragon prints are just people clicking on the story, reading the first line, and clicking out.

I'm sure you've thought of this already, but have you considered a kudos system similar to that on AO3? Or on fanfiction.net, you have favorite/follow? For the reader, it just involves clicking on a heart or something (I know that for the coder it would involve much much more!), so if they don't feel like giving a review (and I don't blame them - everyone has their reasons), they can just click to show that they liked it.

I feel that it would give writers a clearer idea of the response to their story, and there's no opportunities for bullying, as there's no gradations of kudos (or whatever you'd call it) - it's either given or not. AO3 has it set up so that you can only give kudos once, if you're signed in, so you can't artificially inflate a story by clicking 50 times, or something.

• 1 month later...
Guest linoge

Could you add an option to sort stories by their edit date. In the previous format, since all stories were listed on one page, the newly updated fics were always at the top of the list (on the author's page). In the current format, the only way I can tell what an author has recently updated is by checking her/his LiveJournal account.

If you are looking at a specific author's profile, click on stories written. It will bring up all of the stories that author has posted in a particular archive. The first date is the published date. Then the edit date is posted next to it. Easier to scan that if you want only what one author updated. I think it's fairly easy anyway. I don't know about sorting -- that's a code thing and way above my pay grade.

Guest linoge

Yep, I mean in the profile for a specific author. Things are not sorted by edit date in the current "Stories Written" section, so older stories that are still being updated end up buried on page 8 (for example) instead of being on page 1 or 2. So, its harder to determine if the author has updated a story I've been following without looking at their LiveJournal account or searching for specific stories one-by-one. The way the old profile page was laid out was easier, since all of their stories were on the same page and the edited stories went to the top of the list.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Imortalrequeim

I agree. Honestly and I know the two are separate entities but I think this site would do well to have a layout like fan fiction.net

I agree. Honestly and I know the two are separate entities but I think this site would do well to have a layout like fan fiction.net

Nope. We've never been FFN. We started because FFN doesn't allow the kind of content that we do. So, we will be who we are, and FFN will be who they are.

• 3 months later...

Yo, been awhile DG! Not sure if this one actually falls under archive restructure or where it would go if not, but is there any chance to get a private message system for authors? Mostly to keep reviews from getting turned into message boards if somebody has questions that the author wants to answer. I bring this up because I wanted to talk with another author about playing with a loosely edited idea of one of his first chapters to take it in another direction but I have no way of getting a hold of him (or her, not really sure which) and I figured I’m probably not the only one who’s run into this little wall.

We don’t currently have one, given the overall clean up of the database and whatnot.  I think until that’s finished, probably not.  But, that’s also why the forum is here.  It has a robust messaging system, among other features.  If the user in question isn’t in the forum, you can always pm with a link to their profile and I can hook you up.

Probably will do that later (managed to lose the password to my email, again), I just figured I’d mention it. Unfortunately the biggest problem with getting a hold of people is you need to create two separate accounts for the archives and the forums to have private messaging which kind of sucks. I almost asked if there was a way to link private messaging in the forums to users accounts in the archives but then I realized not only would that probably the impractical, but then I remembered about the limited number of PMs available to accounts which killed that though. Pity though, ah well.

• 1 month later...
Guest ResponsibleBystander

Something I've noticed is that if there was a tag included in a word in the summary, it is removed from the summary and placed in the tag section. For example, if ‘human’ was in the summary, ‘hum’ is removed and put in the tag section. This means the humiliation tag is being added to stories erroneously. I've also noticed ‘control’ becoming simply ‘l’ in the summary and ‘contro’ being added to the tags. This mostly affects older stories. Sometimes I see a capital D in the summary, and I know it means that the MC tag should have been MCD, or a Bi tag, with a ‘gotry’ in the summary.

2 minutes ago, Guest ResponsibleBystander said:

Something I've noticed is that if there was a tag included in a word in the summary, it is removed from the summary and placed in the tag section. For example, if ‘human’ was in the summary, ‘hum’ is removed and put in the tag section. This means the humiliation tag is being added to stories erroneously. I've also noticed ‘control’ becoming simply ‘l’ in the summary and ‘contro’ being added to the tags. This mostly affects older stories. Sometimes I see a capital D in the summary, and I know it means that the MC tag should have been MCD, or a Bi tag, with a ‘gotry’ in the summary.

Yes, the query run to move the tags did truncate some. Our coder is correcting those, or at least some of those, at present, and we mods will tackle them as we run across them as well. :)

Guest ResponsibleBystander
On January 5, 2017 at 2:38 PM, DemonGoddess said:

I’m actually searching the subdomains one by one, starting with the truncation of bigotry.  Any others you find that I can use and fix, I certainly will.

Thank you! I found a few stories in originals that have "luding” in the summary and an “Inc” tag. I assume including got split.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.