SirGeneralSir

Creating drama

Recommended Posts

So I am trying to create some drama between a father and son revolving around the death of the mother.

All I have ATM is that the boy was really young when she died and that the dad kept HOW she died a secret because he wanted to protect his son from ……… something.

The setting is in a fantasy world and I dont know what would fit for this set up.

any ideas? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Dad has a secret evil side of his soul that emerged and killed the Mom

After ignoring warnings from the Prophet Gloria “The Rythm” got her.

“Your Mom died young” is actually code for “Your mom ran away with a woman who didn’t treat her like shit.”

“Son… it was the shits. Just up and crapped herself to death one day. We had to move the farm house a mile after filling in the privy didn’t clear the air, but it wasn’t enough. The miasma is still spreading. The country becomes uninhabitable. A rag tag group of heroes tried to fight it but ended up gagging and fleeing.”

The Mom accidentally choked to death on horse semen trying to win a drunken bet

“Fucking. Elves.”

“Fucking elves.”

“Fucking Elvis. Fat boy just crushed her to death. Nobody knows where he came from. Talked of a weird world where he was King.”

“Son… it was your father who was dying, but I wanted you to have a strong male influence so I took a potion to make me a man. Mistakes were made. Anyway, it’s wearing off...”

ATM did it. She caught an infection through a mouth ulcer.

The village constables caught her wearing a fursuit and hanged her. The headpiece popped right off, so they had to string her up again.

tl;dr No, no ideas at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SirGeneralSir said:

So I am trying to create some drama between a father and son revolving around the death of the mother.

All I have ATM is that the boy was really young when she died and that the dad kept HOW she died a secret because he wanted to protect his son from ……… something.

The setting is in a fantasy world and I dont know what would fit for this set up.

any ideas? 

Sometimes attempting to spare another only creates a more visceral net loss.

It depends, Its not a lot of context to go on.

Whats the specific genre? Are you looking to psychologically break the child? Is the son in a dark place near rock bottom? Is the son mature for his age? is the son unexpectedly wise? Children are surprisingly intelligent sometimes foolish other times terrifyingly on-point even given a scrap of context. Sometimes even without.

Is the father son’s relationship good? bad? Destined archenemies destined to kill one another? Does the son have daddy issues? Parental abandonment/neglect issues? Mommy issues? Was the son closer to the mother? The father?

Is either parent non-human? Cause that matters alot more than you think. When mommy was the dragon/monster that threatened the kingdom/ Dark lord attempting to conquer/enslave/genocide.

Was the mother evil? If so on the scale of 1 to sauron where was she?

Is the father evil? Did the mother and the father have a good relationship? Were one or more unfaithful?

In the manner of which she died suspicious? (as in fairy godmother put out a hit on dear old momma for the lols/revenge/misguided attempt to thwart prophecy?)  Is the father attempting to cover it up out of shame? Love? Unwillingness to implicate his wife in a plot to murder the royal family?  Was it an accidental? Was it on purpose? Did she off her self out of grief or in a last ditch effort to save her son from some crime/ and or sin?

Is mommy secretly alive? And or the fated archenemy of her son? Is anyone in the story a deity/ having divine parentage? Is either of the parents royalty/nobility? Is the father poor? Middle class?

Is the son evil? Secretly evil? Was a cult involved anywhere near the shennagians of momma getting iced? Brained with a brick? Unfortunate siege? Plague? Famine? Is the kingdom/empire at war? being overrun by another? Are monsters involved?

 

And thats everything that comes to mind at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the father and son live on a small farm, dad is ex elite guard/military to the kingdom.

across the way is an elf farm, a dad from the same unit and twin sisters that are deeply in love with the boy.

both mothers died at the same time, same cause.

The world is a mish mash of our worlds mythology in terms of cultures and monsters, but the gods are different etc.

My hope, is that the son, who trusts dad 100% will feel betrayed by the lie. but the death was not just a normal got sick, or bandits. I want something that would strike fear into the heart of a child, something that would potentially make them feel unsafe at home at any time, so far my thoughts are going to a demon of some kind. I was also thinking that dad being the ex military type literally destroyed the demon in a way that might make his son see him differently.

This would give dad a reason for protecting his son from the idea of the demons till he is older, but also his image with his son.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JayDee said:

“Son… it was your father who was dying, but I wanted you to have a strong male influence so I took a potion to make me a man. Mistakes were made. Anyway, it’s wearing off...” Kinda want to oneshot this ngl.

The village constables caught her wearing a fursuit and hanged her. The headpiece popped right off, so they had to string her up again.:coffeescreen:Just the mental image is hilarious. Reminds me of the time I inadvertantly dated a furry and had to pick up their head after they dropped it from the top of the hotel.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SirGeneralSir said:

So the father and son live on a small farm, dad is ex elite guard/military to the kingdom.

across the way is an elf farm, a dad from the same unit and twin sisters that are deeply in love with the boy.

both mothers died at the same time, same cause.

The world is a mish mash of our worlds mythology in terms of cultures and monsters, but the gods are different etc.

My hope, is that the son, who trusts dad 100% will feel betrayed by the lie. but the death was not just a normal got sick, or bandits. I want something that would strike fear into the heart of a child, something that would potentially make them feel unsafe at home at any time, so far my thoughts are going to a demon of some kind. I was also thinking that dad being the ex military type literally destroyed the demon in a way that might make his son see him differently.

This would give dad a reason for protecting his son from the idea of the demons till he is older, but also his image with his son.

Sounds great so far.

Now the only thing I do have to ask for clarification is it a elf that farms. Or it is a farm that raises elves? Other than that.

If it has to do with demons dad either had to do a mercy kill or likely had to essentially mutilate the corpse to make sure the demon was gone for good. Or both.

Is that from what I’m  getting from the information. Demons never play fair and its a whole nother level of messed up to use the mom’s body in an attempt to kill said child.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a family of elves that farm, mostly exotic stuff for potions, poisons etc.

The human dad Thorin, is friends with the elf dad.

It could be a demon, a beast like monster or anything else of the sorts.

I am starting to think a demon would be a little typical, but making it a beast that farmers would normally deal with in this world would be more practical like a rat monster, Ogre etc.

I just dont have the tragity feeling that would lead to the lie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SirGeneralSir said:

It’s a family of elves that farm, mostly exotic stuff for potions, poisons etc.

The human dad Thorin, is friends with the elf dad.

It could be a demon, a beast like monster or anything else of the sorts.

I am starting to think a demon would be a little typical, but making it a beast that farmers would normally deal with in this world would be more practical like a rat monster, Ogre etc.

I just dont have the tragity feeling that would lead to the lie. 

Well, I have a feeling its going to be up to how you frame it. I know you can do it <3

Was the son there or otherwise around to hear what went down or otherwise walked in at the worst possible moment. Cause the tragedy there would be the son is missing vital parts of what went down only to come into the scene. Childhood innocence combined with misremembering can changethe scenario into something that didn’t actually happen, thats not even going into if the demon is messing with his perceptions with illusions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

at the moment, my thoughts are that he was about 5yrs old, kind of half thinking that both moms were there, maybe rushed just him or the 2 girls into a hiding place together before being attacked.

maybe a potion was used by the elf father to block the memories of what happened as I currently have it that the son is over hearing the details of what actually happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, InvidiaRed said:

Kinda want to oneshot this ngl.

Feel free!

Quote

Just the mental image is hilarious. Reminds me of the time I inadvertantly dated a furry and had to pick up their head after they dropped it from the top of the hotel.

It didn’t realise when I wrote the idea, but I’ve realised today it was probably subconsciously inspired by the video to the Crash Test Dummies cover of The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead, only without the happier ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLt60MUv7AU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SirGeneralSir said:

at the moment, my thoughts are that he was about 5yrs old, kind of half thinking that both moms were there, maybe rushed just him or the 2 girls into a hiding place together before being attacked.

maybe a potion was used by the elf father to block the memories of what happened as I currently have it that the son is over hearing the details of what actually happened.

Making a five year old forget traumatic stuff sounds very reasonable...if you want real drama you might consider if it is more effective to have the father have done a genuine mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pondering on the possible paths I could take, I am thinking maybe something like the kid/s are in the cellar to be safe, but the mothers are in the main house.

monster/s break in and have lunch, maybe there were more of them like a pack of ….. (monster) and the dad’s were fighting the main monsters, this was just one that got away.

So the kids can see and hear the moms being killed and eaten, but the boy (Seth) also sees what dad did to the monster for killing his wife, so much so that he became scared of dad too.

or something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SirGeneralSir said:

Pondering on the possible paths I could take, I am thinking maybe something like the kid/s are in the cellar to be safe, but the mothers are in the main house.

monster/s break in and have lunch, maybe there were more of them like a pack of ….. (monster) and the dad’s were fighting the main monsters, this was just one that got away.

So the kids can see and hear the moms being killed and eaten, but the boy (Seth) also sees what dad did to the monster for killing his wife, so much so that he became scared of dad too.

or something like that.

That could work quite well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SirGeneralSir said:

now I just need a monster that would/could travel in a small pack (werewolves were used for something else) and be something terrifying.

giant rats? some kind of boar monster? 

If you want straight evil look no further than Javelina. One of a hiker’s worst nightmares because they’re mean af social and they have no problems ganging up on and killing anything dumb enough to be alone.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thoughts are that the more …… savage the better.

I am thinking that the mom’s die a bloody mess etc, frogs make me think of typical frog vore where the person is just swallowed.

Maybe Pig men of some kind? I know in Asian anime Orcs are more like Pig men/people but I would have to make them more beast like almost goblin like in mentality but high brute strength.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SirGeneralSir said:

My thoughts are that the more …… savage the better.

I am thinking that the mom’s die a bloody mess etc, frogs make me think of typical frog vore where the person is just swallowed. Incidentally frogs use their vestigal teeth to grip their prey before they swallow it.

Maybe Pig men of some kind? I know in Asian anime Orcs are more like Pig men/people but I would have to make them more beast like almost goblin like in mentality but high brute strength. Then do so :D Play up on the horror that their gluttonous greed can inspire. Pigs much like Javelina are omnivorous cannibals that can devastate an area and don’t much care what food( Since they could tend to classify almost everything as food or food related) ends up in their stomachs, Pets, people all can end up on the wrong end of the Pig-folk’s lips.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I think that is what I will do.

The dad’s are fighting a “hoard” 5-10 outside, the mom’s bring kids into cellar, one pig walks in on the mom’s as they enter back into the main house and get killed, boy (Seth) mom is eaten on the floor where he can see it all happen. 

Dad (Thorin) comes in, throws the pig out the door and with no mercy, hacks away at the monster, still in eyesight of his son, this sets fear into his Seth’s mind about his own dad etc etc. in short breaking his mind.

spell is used to remove that memory of events, creating the feeling of betrayal.

yes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SirGeneralSir said:

Yeah I think that is what I will do.

The dad’s are fighting a “hoard” 5-10 outside, the mom’s bring kids into cellar, one pig walks in on the mom’s as they enter back into the main house and get killed, boy (Seth) mom is eaten on the floor where he can see it all happen. 

Dad (Thorin) comes in, throws the pig out the door and with no mercy, hacks away at the monster, still in eyesight of his son, this sets fear into his Seth’s mind about his own dad etc etc. in short breaking his mind.

spell is used to remove that memory of events, creating the feeling of betrayal.

yes?

Sounds perfect. (well not for the family but you get what I mean)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now