Click Here!

AFF subdomains in order of current activity

JayDee

Since someone mentioned the place seeming quieter the other day I got to wondering how active the various domains where. Not having any training in statistical analysis, access to site visitor data or anything else that would let me do it properly I decided simply to go to the front page of each domain and look at the “last updated” date for the very bottom story on each front page. The more active a subdomain currently is in updates, I assumed, the more recent the date would be, and the shorter the time any updated story spends on front page.

Original: November 11, 2018
Harry Potter: November 4, 2018
Games: November 4, 2018
Naruto: November 3, 2018
Anime: October 29, 2018
Cartoons: October 28, 2018
Television: October 22, 2018
Movies: August 9, 2018
Marvel 'verse: July 16, 2018
Celebrity: July 10, 2018
Inuyasha: July 7, 2018
Comics and DC'Verse: July 2, 2018
Non English: May 27, 2018
Anime2/Gundam etc: April 12, 2018
Books: April 8, 2018
Final Fantasy: January 13, 2018
Bleach: November 16, 2017
Buffy: September 29, 2017
Lord of the Rings: September 6, 2017
YuGiOh: July 25, 2017
Yuyu Hakusho: August 19, 2014
Manga: November 3, 2013

More like adult-originalfiction.org right :p ? Harry and Games are tied for second most active, I was actually expecting Naruto to be the most active, but maybe it has a huge fandom but less writers updating. I dunno. Either way, I’ll whore myself and write a second part ot Naruto the Cluck sometime.

I did wonder why movie fanfic seemeds so much quieter than TV fanfic, but it’s been suggested that with the far longer run times folks can get more invested in TV characters and want to write more stories around them.

Manga… write a story and have the opportunity to it on the front page for five years! I might have to read and review that oldest story despite knowing nothing about the manga. Five years on the front page of a subdomain with no review is kinda harsh.

I might have more aimless thoughts to babble on about later.

It goes through spurts. Some weeks, Cartoons is more active than Naruto or Games. Other weeks, Harry Potter outstrips Originals. But the last time we had mad activity was when FFN decided to enforce their ToS regarding mature content. Quite honestly, I am hoping they never decide to do that again, or at least confine it to one subdomain, please. :blink:

FFN’s terms of service are why I only have two stories on there. Eeep.

It does seem like the bottom third or so of the domains are much more static. Buffy used to be an incredibly popular fandom for fanfiction, but it’s really tailed off. I bet if the reboot/sequel show they’re talking about gets made, it will jumpstart it all again.

I think Final Fantasy and Books were surprising to me. New FF media isn’t uncommon, it seems to have an active fanbase, and the old ones always seem to be getting dolled up and re-released, while I’d assumed folks really loved writing about books characters or myths and legends and that.

2 hours ago, JayDee said:

FFN’s terms of service are why I only have two stories on there. Eeep.

It does seem like the bottom third or so of the domains are much more static. Buffy used to be an incredibly popular fandom for fanfiction, but it’s really tailed off. I bet if the reboot/sequel show they’re talking about gets made, it will jumpstart it all again.

I think Final Fantasy and Books were surprising to me. New FF media isn’t uncommon, it seems to have an active fanbase, and the old ones always seem to be getting dolled up and re-released, while I’d assumed folks really loved writing about books characters or myths and legends and that.

FFN’s TOS is kinda what prompted me to have a “clean” and “adult” versions of my potter story (well, they were termed “R”, “NC17” and “XXX” in the beginning...)  As I rewrite, it’s kinda good, IMO, to have this distinction, because the main plot doesn’t require the adult material to be effective.    However, the adult material does enrich the story, overall, as I can explore some of the dynamics that quickly become too much for FFN.

I guess with my PWP stuff if I cut out the adult content there wouldn’t be anything worth the reading. I really only have the vaguest idea of what sexual content is permitted there, but to be honest I’d probably aim to get no where near that level anyway because kids use the site. The idea of kids reading my stuff has always made me a little ill tbh. I’m sure some do ignore rules and come on AFF and that, but at least there should be less of ‘em here.

I don’t know what it is about numbers and analysis of them that tickles me. But it does. 

When was the last FFN smut purge? I remember when I was on FFN… God… 15 years ago? There was all this talk of a purge that everyone was freaked out about and up in arms even though no one I know had been affected by it. It became a friend-of-a-friend type of thing. Just the fear of it chased a lot of us off onto more perv-friendly sites like Noire Sensus, livejournal and little fandom popup sites. 

You’d think now that erotica’s become somewhat mainstream, FFN and their advertisers, or whoever’s pissing in their cornflakes about it, would loosen up a bit, but I wouldn’t mind a little boost of activity here. Especially in the forums. We could use some fresh meat. 

23 minutes ago, CloverReef said:

When was the last FFN smut purge?

I think it was back in 2012? Or thereabouts. Then there was the HF purge, which was not quite as dramatic or frantic, but still busy enough.

3 hours ago, JayDee said:

I guess with my PWP stuff if I cut out the adult content there wouldn’t be anything worth the reading. I really only have the vaguest idea of what sexual content is permitted there, but to be honest I’d probably aim to get no where near that level anyway because kids use the site. The idea of kids reading my stuff has always made me a little ill tbh. I’m sure some do ignore rules and come on AFF and that, but at least there should be less of ‘em here.

With my originals, I just keep it as “adult” and not worry about it.  

My two main Harry Potter fanfics always have had the notion of having a “dirty”/adult version, regardless of the sorting I did in the early years.  Until very recently I was only posting those to FFN, the “adult” side kinda waned, and sort of infected the cleaner side.  As I rewrite the story, I’m making a clear distinction, and while it does have some smut, exploring the sexual side of the main characters adds a new dimension to the inter-relationships.  It’s not like “clean” is free of sexual content, it’s just much more muted and reserved to significant points only – other “sex” would simply be implied, with a tendency to fade-fast-to-black to leave the rest to the reader’s imagination.

Some things will be in the “adult” version only, such as Harry’s love for being naked with his girlfriend...anywhere, morphing him into an exhibitionist.  He gets away with it because I’ve got his subconscious generating the  (Inspired from Douglas Adams) … the “Somebody Else’s Problem” spell; so coppers, teachers, everybody else will see him naked, even comment on it, but nobody really does anything about it.  So, later in the story, when he flips on this (out of fear), it drive home the extent of the fear that’s been instilled into him.  Other “adult” scenes show the jealousy that Ginny feels because Harry’s found a different girlfriend than her (in my story).

1 hour ago, CloverReef said:

I don’t know what it is about numbers and analysis of them that tickles me. But it does. 

When was the last FFN smut purge? I remember when I was on FFN… God… 15 years ago? There was all this talk of a purge that everyone was freaked out about and up in arms even though no one I know had been affected by it. It became a friend-of-a-friend type of thing. Just the fear of it chased a lot of us off onto more perv-friendly sites like Noire Sensus, livejournal and little fandom popup sites. 

You’d think now that erotica’s become somewhat mainstream, FFN and their advertisers, or whoever’s pissing in their cornflakes about it, would loosen up a bit, but I wouldn’t mind a little boost of activity here. Especially in the forums. We could use some fresh meat. 

Have to admit I do like FFN’s traffic graphs, how many loitered, which chapters they’re reading.  Thought it’s also sobering how many show up, and promptly leave.  However, having my “clean” version there is nice because then it lets people have a choice, reading sexual content or not, when my story can be expressed pretty nicely even without it. 

In my case, I resurrected an old piece of software, (needed to be rewritten), so that I can have the “adult” and “clean” versions in the same file; I simply annotate which parts are clean and/or adult-only.  For instance “Ron aimed{| his dick} and began to {wet the bed|piss}.”  is “Ron aimed and began to wet the bed.” in the clean version, or “Ron aimed his dick and began to piss.” in the adult version (as he’s soaking Seamus Finnigan’s bed).  So, as I rewrite, I’m working on both versions simultaneously.   Now, I have entire scenes, chapters, that are in the adult version, that aren’t in the clean, so there *is* a size difference; so far, the adult version has been getting more than twice the words of the clean.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.