Click Here!

Plastic Ziploc Bags

Shinju

Why is it that when you put food into plastic Ziplocs your food smells like rotton plastic bag after it's in the 'fridge for a day and a half? I mean, is it just me? Does the rest of the world just not taste it? Because putting food into these things still appears to be pretty popular, I mean, my entire family does it. I'm a saran wrap and foil person myself. But, come on, seriously, you don't taste it? Put some Diritos in one of those bitches and wait 2 or 3 days, pop a couple in your word hole and exhale the air in your mouth through your nose and tell me if you taste it or not. I would seriously like to know if I am just the finickyest person in the world.

I'm a home cooked meal person myself, rarely do I eat leftovers, so I don't use plastic bags. Though, if I make a salad, it's still good the next day, so I cover it in plastic wrap. (Never foil) I also hate the microwave taste, I even splurged on a tea pot because I HATE the taste of microwaved water.

I use them for only temp holding device for food as usually I end up eating the food and then pitch the bag, if I wasn't going to keep it. Now it would smell if you had reused the bag and not washed it out before reusing it again.

I reuse the bags if I need to and pitch if I can't reuse it again.

Beth

I can't say that has ever happened to me, but I usually use the bags for dry snack foods or sandwiches...

It does, however, present an experiment I am willing to try out wink.gif Do I just have to find some Doritos, stick them in a bag, and put them in the fridge? Do you think it's the fridge that does it? Hmmm... it's the little MythBuster in me! ph34r.gif

I only use those type of bags for anything but food. I'm also the home cooked meal type, but typically if there are leftovers they get left in the pot they were cooked in for easy re-heating on top of the stove (I'm also microwave-o-phobic).

I can't say that has ever happened to me, but I usually use the bags for dry snack foods or sandwiches...

It does, however, present an experiment I am willing to try out :P Do I just have to find some Doritos, stick them in a bag, and put them in the fridge? Do you think it's the fridge that does it? Hmmm... it's the little MythBuster in me! :P

Ok, now you gotta do the experiment, Araneola! The Mythbusters are great, love 'em! So keep up updated on the Plastic bag/ Doritos saga! (and it is only Doritos? What about pringles? Fritos or Cheetoes?) Heh, heh!

First off.. You have reason to be afraid of microwaves.. I have done some reading and microwaves actually radiate out all nutrition from any food you nuke, if you must reheat, use the oven or stove.

Secondly, Ziploc bags, though they keep food fresh, do spoil the air contained within.

If you have to wrap something up to save it, try using wax paper, it holds for just as long, is much cheaper and no change in food taste. Also biodegradable.

Just some info for those who care from someone trying to live organically.

I've noticed it's really bad with cheeses...makes the cheese taste like plastic, yuck (not that some of them don't already...).

Have you seen the plastic bags that are supposed to keep your food tasting better because they let "the gases that foods naturally release" out while "locking the freshness in!!!!"? (These aren't really direct quotes) No? Well, apparently this is the reason why your food tastes like plastic and doesn't stay fresh for as long as it should. I saw them on an info-mercial one night -yeah, it was late, I was totally bored, hush.

I don't use plastic either when saving stuff in the fridge. I have these old Pyrex containers that I use. They work since I don't keep leftovers around for too long. Or, if I make too much, I freeze it and take it to work.

First off.. You have reason to be afraid of microwaves.. I have done some reading and microwaves actually radiate out all nutrition from any food you nuke, if you must reheat, use the oven or stove.

Secondly, Ziploc bags, though they keep food fresh, do spoil the air contained within.

If you have to wrap something up to save it, try using wax paper, it holds for just as long, is much cheaper and no change in food taste. Also biodegradable.

Sweet, thanks for the advice. I would like to live relatively organically and healthily.

I also hate how some foods that you reheat in the microwave come out 10x more soggy than they should be. It grosses me out XD

I've also heard that heating up the plastic your microwave meals come in causes cancer. I believe it, I never thought good things about heating plastic in the micro. But it doesn't stop me because I'm lazy and micro meals are so expensive I never really buy them even when I can afford them just on principal so I don't use them anyways.

But I'll try the wax paper.