Click Here!

Bad Titles

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

If I really can't think of a title (I usually can but hey) I generally pick a song that seems to fit the fic, and call it that. If the reader knows it's a song title, if they want they can look up the song sometime. If they don't want to, I hardly ever put lyrics in my fics because Songfics are pathetic. If they don't know it's the title of a song, I just got away clean.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't really say anything, because my titles are historicaly cliched, but I have seen some really terrible ones out there. And the 'no title yet' does bug me and results in no clickage.

Some of my terrible titles:

Stirring Darkness: an RP I started about warring elvish nations and the Dark and White elf princes caught in the middle. Gah, even the plots cliche =_=

Words Will Never Hurt Me: Gakuen Heaven fic in which Iwai overhears Shinomiya talking about him, and it changes their relationship forever

Seeing Me: another RP I started where my character is a Seer and falls in love with the only person to truly believe in his gift

Oh, and on another note, songfics really do suck.

For me, titles don't really bother me. No matter how corny they may seem. XD I really go by what the actual story is about because you could have a really crappy title but the story could be well-written and quite entertaining. ^_^

Well, as for myself, I don't have that much of a problem with titles, except when the fic title is 'no title yet' or 'just another ____ fic'. That's really REALLY annoying, and when by chance or boredom I do read one of those stories, the title is not even the worse part.

And summaries... you guys are totally right. What kind of writer writes 'I'm not good at summaries...'? I kind of have some trouble myself when coming up with summaries, so most of the time, I find myself changing them more than once. I'm just not convinced with the way they end up.

But anyway, reading this thread got me wondering... do my titles suck? I know I've only got 4 fics, only one of them finished, so that makes me rather new at writing fanfiction. At least my titles are related to what happens in my stories. But still... the doubt remains.

Naruto section...I am afraid I am one of the contributors. I used to have bad titles like 'The Things Fans Wrote', 'For Him' , 'You Make Me Wanna La La' in the past. The latest dubious titles would be 'Return Home' and '怪物 BodyBag'. Heh.

Edited by kaimono

"I Blame Ron Jeremy" Unfortunately, I don't think enough people know who Ron Jeremy is these days.

I had a professor in undergrad who looked like Ron Jeremy. That is, his outside, fully clothed, appearance. I wasn't going to see if all of him matched. *gags just thinking about it*

Ahaha, I'm guilty of that. My titles are really unoriginal one word things. The ones in my fanfiction folder have names like Dare, Smoking, Reactions, Using and Request 1 all the way to Request 5.1. ^________^

However, I like the the title and chapters of this current fic I'm working on. I still need another name for the last chapter, any help?

http://anime.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600043457

1. Agreements.

2. Deals.

3. Bargains.

4. Contracts.

5. Promises.

Words you could try; Covenant, Pact, Pledge, Oath, Bond, Binding, Bound(ed), Boundries.

• 4 months later...
Personally if I see another title that starts with "Of" I might stop reading fanfiction. Things like "Of blank and blank" Most of the writers don't even know where that title comes from and it's so grossly overused that it makes me want to flame them without reading their story. I know, I know, I repress the urge, but it's still there and this drives me crazy.

Doh! I'm guilty of that one. I must admit I have absolutely no idea where that title structure comes from, but on the plus side, the title is indeed related to the story.

One thing I've noticed recently: Chapter titles are just as hard as the main title. I don't know about you guys, but I just can't leave a chapter without a title, even if it's just provisional. It's hard coming up with something, and usually I end up changing it after a few days, but oh well.

For chapter titles, I tend to use one or two words that summarize the chapter's general events, like 'Guilt and Eyedrops' (I know, it sounds kind of weird, doesn't it? Can't really explain it to you, so if it tickles your curiosity, you'll have to read and find out. Just check my profile, it's in the 'Of broken bones' fic)