Click Here!

This whole completing things thing is weird

Deadman

Over the weekend I finished off a long term story and it feels really good.

But it’s also weird because I’ve been working on this story for years and took a decade long break in between to write other stuff. Now I’m working on the next piece and I feel weird about just moving forward to the next story and working on new things.

Anyone else feel this?

1 hour ago, Deadman said:

But it’s also weird because I’ve been working on this story for years and took a decade long break in between to write other stuff. Now I’m working on the next piece and I feel weird about just moving forward to the next story and working on new things.

Anyone else feel this?

Absolutely! Whenever I finish a story, I start to miss the characters, and I want to go back to them, and see what else might happen. Honestly, it used to drive me crazy when I’d read a book and it would turn out to be a trilogy, or longer, but now? I’m doing it myself! :lol: 

7 hours ago, Deadman said:

Anyone else feel this?

Well, you can always go back and rewrite it!  :)

Now, I’ve got my originals all in the same universe, so serials, spinoffs, are a frequent thing so I usually do have a way to revisit characters that’ve grown on me.  Luckily on my Potter fanfic, the ending is years away, so I’ve got a while on that one.

19 hours ago, BronxWench said:

Absolutely! Whenever I finish a story, I start to miss the characters, and I want to go back to them, and see what else might happen. Honestly, it used to drive me crazy when I’d read a book and it would turn out to be a trilogy, or longer, but now? I’m doing it myself! :lol: 

Oh that’s me in so many ways. I’ve kinda gone the reverse.

My first story was supposed to be short and it ended up being a trilogy. But the story I just finished I basically dropped/abandoned probably 10+ years ago. Now I finished it. Gonna write more in the same universe, but not necessarily in this version of the thing.

14 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

Well, you can always go back and rewrite it!  :)

Now, I’ve got my originals all in the same universe, so serials, spinoffs, are a frequent thing so I usually do have a way to revisit characters that’ve grown on me.  Luckily on my Potter fanfic, the ending is years away, so I’ve got a while on that one.

Totally understand that. I’ve had things expanded on many occasions. But I’ve gotten better at actually finishing things.

Oh that’s me in so many ways. I’ve kinda gone the reverse.

My first story was supposed to be short and it ended up being a trilogy. But the story I just finished I basically dropped/abandoned probably 10+ years ago. Now I finished it. Gonna write more in the same universe, but not necessarily in this version of the thing.

The long hiatus is something that happened with my potter fanfic.  For about a dozen years, no updates, then all the alerts started to flare up, I’m sure, people going “wait, I alerted on that?”.

Totally understand that. I’ve had things expanded on many occasions. But I’ve gotten better at actually finishing things.

Finish?  That’s heresy… 🤪   More seriously, been trying to focus on finishing things too, so far resisting the urge to start new stories.  Do need to consider if I want to break my writing streak to write up a Halloween story or not.