Click Here!

How to Write a Review

CloverReef

This thread is for exploring the review writing process.

If you’re intimidated by writing reviews, have questions, or just don’t know what to say, we’re here to help. If you already frequently leave reviews, this is a good place to detail your system (if you have one!). 

When I review, I open wordpad as soon as I start reading, and whenever I notice something I really like (Even if it’s just a line) I write it down. I write down my thoughts about events or characters as I go, and then at the end, I put them all together for a review. Writers love it when you notice things about their characters, so that’s usually the best way to go. But I’ve been betaing for over a decade now so I tend to notice the technical side (grammar/sentence structure/etc) most so that ends up being what I comment on. 

Personally, I prefer to stick to positive things, and leave the constructive criticism out unless they specifically ask for it, or I was consistently distracted by something that’s an easy enough fix. I don’t touch the big issues. I feel my job as a reviewer is to encourage. I keep the concrit for when I beta. 

But it’s okay to offer concrit in a review. Many writers desperately want it, It’s also okay, if you don’t have anything to say but enjoyed it, to just say “I liked it” and that’s it. 

Edited by CloverReef