Click Here!

Words disappearing while typing forum post in Firefox

Noumena

I am using Firefox. I have experimented with Internet Explorer and this problem does not happen there.

When I type “watch” into a forum post it vanishes as soon as a press space, period, comma, exclamation, or question mark. Other characters are safe, so for example because I ended the word with a quotation mark earlier in this post it did not disappear. If I had tried to type it without the quotation marks, then it would have looked like this: “When I type into a form post it vanishes.”  

I can also type watcher, watching, etc. I can also type things like Watch, wAtch, and so on, but when it is exactly w-a-t-c-h in all lower case letters, it just disappears as if I’d never typed it at all.

Is this only happening to me? Are there any other words that do this? What could explain this behavior? It seems somehow deliberate.

I do believe one of our moderators was having the same issue. I use Chrome, and haven’t had that issue, so far. But she solved it by typing the word twice in quick succession: watchwatch. One would disappear, leaving her with watch.

That technique works for me too, and it is such a clever solution. It’s like using the problem against itself. It may take more of that clever thinking to imagine an explanation for this issue.

It’s good to know that this isn’t happening only to me, and at least now I can type watch, even if it is a bit awkward.

Yes! Yes! It happens to me!

*throws a comradely arm around Noumena*

Come with me, friend! We shall be the founding members of the “Watch Out” forum group.You’re quite safe with me, I promise… ignore what I said on the other topic. Really… ;)

More seriously, I am guessing that some odd entry in a table somewhere that describes our profile is slightly corrupted. The solution works. I haven’t noticed any other words doing this, and I’ve had this trouble for months. It’s not worth the hassle of finding the bug out. We’re obviously special, lol.

ETA: You will also find it happens in PMs and status updates.

Edited by pippychick

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.