Click Here!

Need to Edit older stories; is this allowed?

Guest AnonGrimm

Guest AnonGrimm

I have some stories from last month and some from years ago that need edits (typo sort of edits) but I didn't want to just edit them and have someone wonder if it was done just to shoot them to the chronological top of the category. I need to fix things like excessive "and" and "but" usage, incorrect semi-colon use, some spelling mistakes, etc. Am I allowed to make these kinds of edits on older stories?

Some of my stories got garbled without my knowledge, too, perhaps this RTE thing I saw mentioned in the TOS and Guidelines? Basically, the blank lines between paragraphs disappeared and text got merged as one giant mass instead of being in paragraphs at all anymore. I assume I'm allowed to fix those. I fixed one already without thinking to ask first and no one contacted me, but since this is more stories, I felt it was better to ask.

Mostly, I just don't want to be in violation of TOS or Guidelines, but I searched through both and couldn't find anything that answered this question. I saw the part where it said "don't add an author's notes only chapter to boost your story to the top", but nothing on whether edits of older stories were allowed, as that would likely pop a story to the top. I just want to put my best writing forward, and I need to edit to do that. "Popping it to the top" is not my motivation, but I probably can't post edits without doing exactly that, and after a handful of my stories are suddenly "popped", I don't want to be in violation of the rules.

I found the section about "rewrites" and "merge a story to keep reviews", but it seemed to refer to an author wanting to change a story in a big way, such as a major change to the plot or outcome, maybe? It wasn't very clear to me... All I need to do is fix typos and post edits. If this does actually involve the "rewrite and merge" procedure, then please let me know? Either way is fine with me. I don't want to leave my stories unedited here.

Thank you so much for your time and help. :help::2tubs:

I forgot I wasn't logged in on this forum when I post the question above, but this is me, AnonGrimm. Thanks!

We absolutely understand the need to edit older stories, especially to fix formatting issues, and we're fine with that. The practice we don't allow is when people go in and regularly "edit" the same story every other day to keep it at the top of the listings. Obviously, editing an older story might take more than one pass, and we would not automatically assume you were intending to just alter the story's rankings.

And of course, now that you've let us know what you're planning to do, we'll be aware not to worry. :)

Thanks so much for the fast response, that is so great! I really appreciate the help. I try to hold off on edits on prior chapters until a new chapter update, but on my older stories, that isn't an option. Thanks again, and you all rock! :2tubs::balloon:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.