Click Here!

Obsessive fan fic readers.

Naruto has the worst fandom, I swear.

Maybe not, and they aren't all bad but OMFG there are so many obsessive idiots out there. Not everyone who writes the fandom is interested in the bubble gummy teenage romance of Sasuke and Sakura or Naruto or Hinata! Those matches were nothing but fan service to end an anime series that had dwindled into a bunch of plot holes and twists pulled out of Kishimoto's ass last minute. Oh and the unanswered questions that were brought up earlier in the series.

I don't even like Naruto himself, I do like the other characters who aren't annoying and Mary Sue/ Gary Stu beyond enoyment. And as stated above I didn't care for the show. I do borrow the characters to write though because some of the best characters got next to no play at all so we could all be treated to filler, loop holes, and the weird obsession everyone had with Sasuke and dragging him back to Konaha for their own selfish reasons when he clearly didn't wanna go. (Thats called kidnapping in this world) Admit it, he gave up at the end after what, 14 years?

Anyways, I write what I write, don't like it don't read. I see no reason to send me hate mail and freak out just because I refuse to write sweet bubble gummy and cupcake romance between pairings that I don't believe should have happened or even work logically. Geezus effin Christ. I am working on a request piece and when it's finished I am going on hiatus for a while. Work, school, and my novel demand priority. I may still churn out a piece now and again, but not so frequently. I just needed to get that off my chest, lol. Are there any other fandoms this bad?

You do realize that if you are receiving flames on the review boards, you can report them to the mods here, and they'll check it out. And if they find it to be flaming, they will smack the person in question. I don't know if they do anything if you are getting flamed through other forms of communications, such as email, or IM, but it wouldn't hurt to let the mods know if someone's being less than polite.

But sorry that you've had this happen, and I wish you the best of luck with the novel, and everything else.

I just deleted the comment, the guy (or girl) followed me here from Wattpad. Most of the flaming through email he does there. He/she finally got banned from the group we were in together over there. I am not the kind of person to annoy mods with silly little rude trolls. I save that for when I feel someone in in danger.

Yeah, we enjoy ripping flamers a new cavity, so feel free to report them.

As far as annoying, overly obsessive fans are concerned, I'm not sure if Harry Potter is as bad as it was, because as much as I really enjoyed the books, I found the fandom just a giant pain in the arse, where people demanded that everyone write stories exactly the way they know they should be written, so don't you dare write anything even slightly different! Screw that; screw that right to the wall and hang a picture on it. As much as I can see the appeal of writing fanfiction - all the hard work has been done for you - I much prefer to just stick to original fiction... when I can be bothered. I really don't like having my creativity stifled to such an enormous degree that it inevitably is when you write fanfiction.

I believe I will have to check out your stories! Because, like you, I'm not a true to life fan of the anime. I only watch it here and there and half listen when my brother and hubby talk about it like a soap opera! Also like you, I hated Naruto. And Hinata. JFC; whoever did her English dubbed voice needed to be shot: it was like listening to someone scrape a chalkboard with their nails for nine hours straight! UGH!!

Anyway: it makes me kinda glad I'm into a lesser talked about fandom although I do see it in the DC world as well: if it isn't about Young Justice or Arrow or SuperBat, no one's interested! Like, would it kill people to broaden their horizons...? Me personally, I like the crack pairings. So, I may be one of the rare few that probably won't read a Naruto/Hinata or Naruto/Sakura... or even a Naruto/Sasuke fic. Give me something like... Neji/Eno (although to be fair, I didn't like Eno either because she was just a bully for no reason)!

The Harry Potter fandom isn't much saner, to be very honest. I'd wager most fandoms can be obsessive. When I do write for a fandom, it's for a game fandom. The Dragon Age fandom doesn't seem quite as hysterical about sacred pairings, and I haven't been shot for my Neverwinter Nights 2 sidestep from the "canon" romance.

But, like Melrick, most of what I write is original fiction. :)

Thank you guys so much. I have had some flamers before, when I first started writing band slash waaaay back in the day, anime people are just way OCD lol.

Potter fans are pretty wild, I have a friend who retired from writing altogether because of the fandom. Broadening horizons is a term these people are not familiar with, and it why I stay out of it. I was never able to get into Potter and my ex burned me out on any comic fandom.

I still write Inuyasha. That fandom is slightly easier to handle. Though it is horribly cliche'd with hot springs mating and mating marks. Write anything remotely nice about Kikyo and you'll get crucified. No lie.

I think I said to someone last night, "So these people are okay with Naruto/Bolt yaoi incest but not OK with some Sasuke/Karin s&m. Seems legit."

Edited by LadyTsunadeSenju

I think that's the part of the rabid fandom thing that bothers me the most. When you drive a person away from writing simply because they wrote a pairing that isn't "beloved" of the masses, there's something profoundly wrong with that fanbase. Some people need to step back, look long and hard in a mirror, and think about how they'd feel if they were on the receiving end of the vitriol they spew with such abandon.

Maybe there's a "50 Shades of Cyberbullying" out there handing out misinformation on what constitutes appropriate online behavior in a fandom?

If I was going to read fanfiction, I'd much rather read stuff that I won't come across in the book/series/movie/whatever. After all, what's really the point if you can simply see it in the show/book/etc? I've really never understood that. A bit of variety is always nice.

A relevant quote from the wonderful English author Terry Pratchett: Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one.

I think that's the part of the rabid fandom thing that bothers me the most. When you drive a person away from writing simply because they wrote a pairing that isn't "beloved" of the masses, there's something profoundly wrong with that fanbase. Some people need to step back, look long and hard in a mirror, and think about how they'd feel if they were on the receiving end of the vitriol they spew with such abandon.

Maybe there's a "50 Shades of Cyberbullying" out there handing out misinformation on what constitutes appropriate online behavior in a fandom?

While fan fiction is a great hobby and has been proven training grounds for some authors (Not Twilight or 50 shades) but some darn good fantasy writers, I think if someone is THAT obsessed with a fictional charater that they will spew off a crap ton of profanity and hatred at a total stranger who did nothing to them, perhaps they need to rethink their mental state. That just isn't healthy.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ronin

Naruto does seem like a fandom on here with some very 'passionate' readers, especially about certain characters/pairings.

Look at most of the Kushina stories, they tend to have more votes total and a low average rating that seems to have little to do with the quality of the story. Specifically my first story in the Naruto section has way more views than the few other stories I've written and a lot of reviews, most very positive. But shortly after it was posted the rating sunk to a 2 when it had been a 5. That would have been annoying enough (and some people warned me that might happen), but then the same thing happened to all my OTHER stories, in every category even really old ones. They all got a bunch of new votes, and their ratings all dropped to 2s.

It's one thing not to like a story, and give it a bad rating if it deserves one in your eyes. But to spam it with bad votes in attempt to get others to avoid reading it in the first place-that's pretty low I feel. Especially because I haven't even gotten any real bad reviews, so no is saying 'your story sucks' they're trying to convince others it sucks without explaining to me what they dont like.

At least they're committed.

I've started ignoring votes one way or the other. People, especially Naruto people, are far to competitive and obsessed with this fandom. I don't even know what to say about it. You should try going to conventions with these nut jobs. They are the ones that bully cosplayers, start crap for no reason.

I admit I am serious about cosplaying Tsunade and she and I share a lot of similarities. Physically and mentally. So I own that shit. My husband and I are cosplay celebrities around here. But we have never bullied, shunned, talked down, insulted anyone about their cosplay. In fact, we go out of the way to be friendly and we have even helped people improve their cosplay. Maybe they were amateur, maybe they didn't have time/money. Same with fan fiction. Instead of tearing people down build them up, offer to beta ,or writing tips... Eh I'm ranting.

Bottom line, I'm going to write Sasuke/Karin and if LaLa don't like it she can (and I quote the Rock) shine that bitch up, turn it sideways, and stick it straight up her candy ass. I'm going to write Naruto slightly ADD and when he's not with Karin, I will write Sasuke as gay. It is FICTION.

I'm off to bed now. Night yall

MadDog1.jpg

ahhh i believe they are called fan poodles here...love that term by the way.

so note the shock collar, i say we track the fan poodles down and attach one to each of them...

zaps em every time they type, or say, something stupid

sleazy-smiley-emoticon.gif

Mmm... That's what I used to call lunch. Management material (aka newly-minted MBAs) on toast, with a little wasabi mayonnaise. ;)

But seriously, I'd love to see it happen. The fan poodles do little to endear anyone to fan fiction, and strip the genre of any hope of respectability. And then there's the gormless like EL James who hammer in that final nail in the coffin.

I just don't get it; why are they so possesive of other peoples work. Now if that Rowlings (I don't kno her name, sorry...the potter chick) asks you to not do a pairing, well ok then...but what's with the other butt licking trolls (nope, fanpoodle still better) Any head shrinkers in the house?

They are the holders of the sacred flame, privy to the secret of the One True Pairing, don't you know? And these are the selfsame people (and I use the term very loosely here) who will squeal with glee no matter what indignity, aberration, or abuse is heaped on their beloved characters as long as the pairing is correct. There isn't enough in the entirety of the DSM-V to explain these people.

I will admit that I am picky when it comes to stories about my Martian which there aren't that many. But I would never go to an author or even post a comment about how I couldn't stand a pairing. I may state that I don't like a character but it's more likely that they written the character that way in order to get that response!

But to scream obscenities because I don't like that the author paired J'onn with Bruce? Never. I simply won't read it because it's not a pairing that I prefer.

And here I thought that was common sense...