Click Here!

She is the One

GEMINI

Yeah, those were the days! I was also into CB with a high-end base station, antenna and linear amplifier (which some of the neighbors didn't appreciate). That was the 'party line' before social media was invented. My favorite hobby was police scanners. One Christmas I spent a good chunk of my year-end bonus on Radio Shack's top-of-the-line programmable scanner and from there it was a simple matter to punch in all of the cordless phone frequencies (around 49 Mhz or so). It was hilarious! People simply didn't realize that those first-generation cordless phones were nothing more than low-powered unencrypted radios. And baby room monitors-- the precursors to 'nanny-cams'-- were even better! The conversations that nursing mothers would have with their babies were priceless.

In the early 80's there were also cordless phones operating around 4 mhz, just above one of the ham radio bands. Using a regular shortwave receiver I was able to pick up calls within about a half mile or so.

You had to pick up the phone, make sure the neighbor wasn't using the party line, then have to be wary of a parent picking up the extension in their bedroom while you're telling your girlfriend how much you missed her body.

I was reading the chapter again and came across something I glossed over the first time... Jack was speaking to the reader when he said-

"I know you're confused about the genetics behind Alan, Amanda and me. I am, too. Never figured it out. Don't worry."

Never figured it out? Hard to believe since Jack is a thinking man. I recall him confiding to Kayla early on that he always felt awkward as the 'triplet who didn't fit in.' He's no doubt been thinking about it for years. But rather than some arcane scientific explanation, Jack used Occam's Razor-- the simplest explanation is probably the right one. Maybe he knows or suspects that he's not a triplet?

"I know you're confused about the genetics behind Alan, Amanda and me. I am, too. Never figured it out. Don't worry."

Never figured it out? Hard to believe since Jack is a thinking man. I recall him confiding to Kayla early on that he always felt awkward as the 'triplet who didn't fit in.' He's no doubt been thinking about it for years. But rather than some arcane scientific explanation, Jack used Occam's Razor-- the simplest explanation is probably the right one. Maybe he knows or suspects that he's not a triplet?

I've said here that the triplets thing never made much sense to me and really wasn't necessary to the plot. Alan and Amanda being twins is important to the story. Maybe jashley was backtracking a little, admitting that it didn't fit.

OK so here's what happened with the triplet thing.

When jacks mum ovulated she released two eggs. Both of these eggs got fertilized by jacks dads sperm. One of these eggs underwent normal cell division and created jack. However, the other egg divided into two zygotes (balls of cells basically). Since the twins came from the same sperm and egg they share the same genetic makeup with the exception of the gender chromosome. But jack came from a different egg and sperm, so while he has his parents genes, he didn't necessarily inherit the same ones as the twins.

And that is how Alan and Amanda are identical twins but jack is only a fraternal twin.

And yes. I did get A*'s in biology.

Been thinking about Kayla's ultimatum that she'll break up with Jack if he pulls his 'white knight' routine again. Isn't that almost a self-fulfilling phrophecy? We know that Jack is going to continue to right wrongs and save the day while getting his ass kicked-- that's what he does. Anyone believe she will make good on her promise the next time he gets in trouble?

Been thinking about Kayla's ultimatum that she'll break up with Jack if he pulls his 'white knight' routine again. Isn't that almost a self-fulfilling prophecy? We know that Jack is going to continue to right wrongs and save the day while getting his ass kicked-- that's what he does. Anyone believe she will make good on her promise the next time he gets in trouble?

Either the next time he actually gets into trouble or into a situation that is not as it appears (the idea I had about Kayla going to visit Jack at GarboCon and her coming upon him and Rhona in what appears to be a compromising situation). As for Jack actually righting wrongs, it's more of, as of now, him trying and subsequently failing badly-the twins situation and the whole him trying to save Belle when she was not in any danger in the first place, coming to mind. Probably missing situations in which Jack actually succeeding in saving the day, so to put it.

Been thinking about Kayla's ultimatum that she'll break up with Jack if he pulls his 'white knight' routine again. Isn't that almost a self-fulfilling phrophecy? We know that Jack is going to continue to right wrongs and save the day while getting his ass kicked-- that's what he does. Anyone believe she will make good on her promise the next time he gets in trouble?

I think it will be worse for Jack if he doesn't confide in her. She was pissed that he talked more about it with Rhona than her, and then went off and got beaten to a pulp without telling anyone what he wanted to do.

If he's open with Kayla, she has a chance to talk him out of it.

I think it will be worse for Jack if he doesn't confide in her. She was pissed that he talked more about it with Rhona than her, and then went off and got beaten to a pulp without telling anyone what he wanted to do.

If he's open with Kayla, she has a chance to talk him out of it.

Or maybe he will talk her into it. Whatever happens during their senior year-- and shit will happen-- it's likely they will both be in it up to their eyeballs.

Trust, however, is a two-way street. Given Jack's workplace relationship with Rhona, it would be interesting if Kayla met a guy at the vet clinic but then withheld details from Jack.

Or maybe he will talk her into it. Whatever happens during their senior year-- and shit will happen-- it's likely they will both be in it up to their eyeballs.

Trust, however, is a two-way street. Given Jack's workplace relationship with Rhona, it would be interesting if Kayla met a guy at the vet clinic but then withheld details from Jack.

Some guy like me walks in with his sick kitty, and chats up the gorgeous girl behind the counter.

In regards to the genetics of jacks family that-one-guy Alan and Amanda aren't identical twins and didn't come from the same sperm and egg. If they did then they would have all the same genes and be the same gender. What actually happened is jacks mother released 3 eggs when she ovulated and all three were fertilized by different sperm. Essentially they are the same as any normal siblings with the exception that they were all born within minutes of each other

In regards to the genetics of jacks family that-one-guy Alan and Amanda aren't identical twins and didn't come from the same sperm and egg. If they did then they would have all the same genes and be the same gender. What actually happened is jacks mother released 3 eggs when she ovulated and all three were fertilized by different sperm. Essentially they are the same as any normal siblings with the exception that they were all born within minutes of each other

You see, it's the unlikely nature of such a multiple conception that gives me pause. So if you're right we're going to assume that Hannah had a threesome with Mike and... Uncle Don? Whatever happened, it's also unlikely that any of the people involved are going to talk about it after all this time. Maybe for the best.

You see, it's the unlikely nature of such a multiple conception that gives me pause. So if you're right we're going to assume that Hannah had a threesome with Mike and... Uncle Don? Whatever happened, it's also unlikely that any of the people involved are going to talk about it after all this time. Maybe for the best.

You wouldn't need extra guys, we do fire out millions of chances so all Mike needed were 3 good swimmers

The only thing odd about the conception is that Hannah realeased 3 eggs in a single ovulation when the norm is 1. Statistically the odds of that would be astronomical as fraternal triplets are very rare. Once the eggs are released mike would've had no problem fertilizing all three of them.

The only thing odd about the conception is that Hannah realeased 3 eggs in a single ovulation when the norm is 1. Statistically the odds of that would be astronomical as fraternal triplets are very rare. Once the eggs are released mike would've had no problem fertilizing all three of them.

Maybe they were struggling to have kids and Hannah took some fertility drugs. I know those can give people twins, triplets, and beyond.

Or maybe mike and Hannah went to extreme lengths to adopt three kids born on the same day

They would know if they were adopted. Wouldn't they have to produce their birth certificates to obtain a driver's license?

Hey guys! I know I'm a little late getting to the Reality Check but better late than never, right?

- I don't have two siblings like Jack does. I have one brother, but on more than one occasion, he's completely shut himself off from the family to bury himself in his social life via his phone. Trying to drag him away from it was an unbelievable chore.

- Jack's conversation with Joe mirrored a few I had with friends before my first year of college. I feel bad that I was nowhere near as compassionate as Jack was (I was ready to get to college, come Hell or high water) but it was a real surreal feeling to realize how I was living my life would be changed.

- Jack's feelings about Arthur and his place in Tara's life are basically my own with my cousin's most recent relationship. We do not live close together so I don't have quite as strong a feeling of 'jealousy' as he does, but it does hurt a little knowing that we don't talk as much as we do, mainly because she's got another guy in her life. Though I did give him 'the talk'.

Chapter 57 is progressing well and, at this rate, I should have it done in the next few days. And while I'm enjoying writing this one, I really, really, REALLY want to get the next chapter out before I leave. I have my last day of work coming up in a couple days so I should have all the time I need to sit down and write it. You'll understand why once it comes out.

Hope you all are doing well and I'll see you soon :)

Hey guys! I know I'm a little late getting to the Reality Check but better late than never, right?

- I don't have two siblings like Jack does. I have one brother, but on more than one occasion, he's completely shut himself off from the family to bury himself in his social life via his phone. Trying to drag him away from it was an unbelievable chore.

- Jack's conversation with Joe mirrored a few I had with friends before my first year of college. I feel bad that I was nowhere near as compassionate as Jack was (I was ready to get to college, come Hell or high water) but it was a real surreal feeling to realize how I was living my life would be changed.

- Jack's feelings about Arthur and his place in Tara's life are basically my own with my cousin's most recent relationship. We do not live close together so I don't have quite as strong a feeling of 'jealousy' as he does, but it does hurt a little knowing that we don't talk as much as we do, mainly because she's got another guy in her life. Though I did give him 'the talk'.

Chapter 57 is progressing well and, at this rate, I should have it done in the next few days. And while I'm enjoying writing this one, I really, really, REALLY want to get the next chapter out before I leave. I have my last day of work coming up in a couple days so I should have all the time I need to sit down and write it. You'll understand why once it comes out.

Hope you all are doing well and I'll see you soon :)

I've had the leaving conversation as well, all of my friends are going to the same place but I'm determined to go elsewhere.

And I feel like shits gonna hit the fan in 58. Big time. Nice big cliffhanger before you leave

Great news. Need to get my STO fix. Glad to see that you're going to work on one more chapter before basic and your fan case's military induced vacation from New STO chapters. I wish you well in basic.

Chapter 57 is finally posted :) sorry about the late posting time but it was my last day of work and they decided to hold me over as a final act of vengeance. Oh well.

Time for a good night's rest and then on to Chapter 58, which I REALLY want done before I leave. Hope you all enjoy the chapter :)

Edit for my last post: the whole section with Amanda gave me a sinking feeling that, as has been said before, chapter 58 will have a lot of shit go down, and it may be due to the whole "Alan getting back at Amanda for Sam" theory (which may not be a theory) that Amanda posited. Well, one theory for the ending section of chapter 58: Jack ends up getting a not too kind phone message from his parents (his father Mike, maybe) about the twins. Any other theories as to how this saga sets up whatever the next saga will be (the next one will probably have loads of drama, hopefully not to the level of the Voyeur saga).

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.