Click Here!

Site Color

LisaT2525

Ok, so I haven't been in the forums asking my usual stupid questions, and I thought I was overdue...so here goes another one:

I just got a new computer b/c my nine-year-old Sony was on its way out. When I got into AFF to bookmark it, I noticed the usual brown color was a bit off. Is there any way to adjust the color of the site?

As far as I know, and DG will correct me if I'm wrong, the archive skin is not adjustable other than by adjusting the color settings of your display/monitor. The forum has skins available so we can customize our settings, but the archive code doesn't permit that as far as I can tell.

And no question is ever stupid. :D

Edited by BronxWench

Thanks Bronx! :)

I have heard that no question is stupid, but I seem to be full of them. lol

I'll try to find out where my settings are on this computer. I just realized that I don't like change. lol Even though my old computer was old and didn't work well anymore, I knew everything about it. This is a Windows 8 touchscreen, which is super cool, but I know nothing about it.

But thanks for answering the question! :)

Demon, what's wrong with Windows 8? It's a touchscreen - really cool. lol

I'm coming from Windows Vista so anything else is cool. :)

The skin on AFF was always some variation of brown/tan on my old computer, but on this one it looks all washed out. I don't know if I can do anything, b/c other sites' skins are fine.

Windows 8, just like every other even numbered operating system version from Microsoft, has issues. It's fine if you don't work your system like I do. Me, I'd kill the OS in less than 2 minutes, just like I did with Vista.

that's something we always do with a new OS, I see how long it takes me to get it to bluescreen so I can test its stability. Under 2 minutes for Vista, and under 3 for 8. Took me a few WEEKS to do that with 7.

You can try to buy a downgrade package to Windows 7, which is what my daft one did when he bought his new computer a couple of months ago.

Essentially, the two worst issues with Win8 that I've seen on my daughter's laptop is that unless you are careful, you wind up running program in the app mode, which means they don't terminate when you close them. You have to literally swipe them closed like you do on your iPhone or other smartphone. The other thing is Microsoft updates, which can take, literally, hours to download. We had her laptop downloading the updates wirelessly one evening, and it took until the next morning to finish. That meant we had to plug the laptop in since the battery wasn't going to last long enough for the updates to finish. Now, if we connect to the wired router, the updates go much faster, but it's still very sluggish compared to the way Win7 updates download and install.

I'll stick with Win7 myself.

I still fight with this thing - trying to remember to swipe the damn things closed and find things. I'm not gonna fight too hard. I don't do anything fancy with it. If I had an expensive touchscreen computer, it would be neat-o keen but alas, I do not. My kids don't mind and I've not had the upgrade problem Bronx has had.

Thanks, this is all so new to me. I'm old school and to me it's so cool to be able to swipe at the screen and X out of things like I do on my phone.

I will keep all this in mind though in case I have to download Windows 7. At least that's an option. :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.