Click Here!

This May Be a Dumb Question, but...

Letoria

"Slash" is used to describe fiction with same-gender pairing. For the most part, slash by itself seems to be taken as male/male, and femmeslash refers to female/female pairings. It covers all the non-anime/manga based fictions, since anime/manga has its own terminology: yaoi and yuri, respectively.

It's actually a good question, since people tend to wonder why I get pissy when they say I write yaoi and I correct them sharply. I write slash (male/male) as well as het, and nothing I write is set in an even remotely anime or mange sort of universe, thankyouverymuch. ;)

To me, it sounded like stories written about a WWE wrestling whatever-they're-called, ("Here he comes! Laaaaaaadies 'n' Gentlemen, give it up for Sliiiiiice!!") or part of the title of a B Slice 'n' Dice Movie.

Hmmmmm. JayDee suggests it came from the slash between "Kirk/Spock", and Mugusfang thought it be for the slash between gay story tags (M/M). Could it be? Say it ain't so! Kirk and Spock getting down 'n' Dirty, enjoying the pleasure of their man parts together? Now my world is shattered!!! :wow:

Back 'fore the world wide web, long before the eternal September, before even Usenet had started to spread a whole lot out, button down homebody housewives the length and breadth of the United States were carefully typing out scorching hot Kirk/Spock stories and sending them to fanzines. Kitchen floors were slipperier than when Gomer Pyle got his own show. I don't think they even bothered with the MM tag then, because it was all two fisted man action.

It was a golden age, and I missed it. Ahh well. At least I got to see Gummi Bears before whatever bastard reboot they're undoubtedly about to unleash on an unsuspecting world rendered numbly compliant by the internet friendly pony hijinks.

The golden age is done. The dark age is coming and it is Gummi shaped.