Click Here!

Why can't I see my fic's stats?

Guest Miss_Emily

Guest Miss_Emily

Hey!

Back when I first got started with AFF, before the site-change, you could see your fic's stats under 'written stories' and now you can't. It's a feature I really miss and I wonder why it was removed or if it has been moved in some way?

Now if I want to check how my story is being received by the community I have to search through the archives which is both tedious and time-consuming. :(

Hi!

We're rewriting the archive code, and rolling out the new code in stages. While we do that, we may have to disable some features, and others might look as though they've been dropped. I know that the stats is something we all miss, but I'm not sure how that page will look yet when the coding is finished.

Bear with us, and we do take comments like these under advisement as we go forward. :D

I've asked that the hit count be restored once we get to the point of things being closer to done on the rewrite.

In the meantime, click this link and copy/paste your user id number (you'll see it in the browser bar while in the profile) over mine. That'll bring up the old format.

• 1 month later...

Ha! I'm so naive I don't even know how to check my stats. I came here to post a question asking how to find out what my stats are. Can anyone explain the process to this babe in the wilderness?

If you look at your story where it shows up in the "Latest Stories" page, you'll see the stats listed after the story summary. You'll see the current hits on the story, the number of reviews, and the ratings:

Stats_Demo.jpg

These stats used to appear on the listing of stories on your profile as well. Right now, it's not appearing there, but we hope to have that back as the rewrite progresses. In the meantime, although you can't edit the information there, you can still see the information in the old profile format like DG and JayDee explained above. Just copy that last number in your profile url and paste it over the one in DG's link, or JayDee's link, and you should see something like this:

Stats_Demo_2.jpg

The stats show up there nicely.

Yup, I also managed to figure out the backdoor method you posted previously, which is quite an achievement for someone who until recently thought Android Galaxy was a Star Trek destination. (Ladies and gentlemen, she can be taught! :trink25: )

I grew up in the days of reel-to-reel tape players and black and white television. For some reason, I decided I loved the new technology as it emerged, and became an avid collector of tech toys. Fortunately, my daft bugger is as big a geek, and we've raised geek children as well. :D

Thankfully my wife is a geek, as is my son, so between the two of them, I can wander through life in blissful ignorance. BTW, You of course remember when TV channels were changed by twisting a knob, and phone calls were made spinning by a dial. A town not far from where I live had crank telephones until 1982 -- that's a bit much, even for me.

I remember the first two digits you dialed were actually letters that referred to the local exchange here in NYC. I lived in TRafalgar. I was also the envy of my friends when my dad put a princess phone IN my room, because he was tired of my hiding in the closet to talk on the phone (Yes, children, people actually did that in real life.) :D

My mother used to grumble, "You don't know how lucky you kids are. We had party lines, never mind our own phones." (And you walked up hill to school both ways in blizzards, too, Ma)

Ah yes the "good old days." Yes I too remember the days of b&w TV's, us kids having to get up to change the channel for mom or dad (or for big brothers to they wouldn't beat me up more than normal). Pulse dial telephones, party line phones. Heck, I still remember my Dad's CB license # from WAY back then!

Did anyone else ever see the old pink "ticker tape" (picture the movie War Games main frame computers!) computer memory reels? My Dad used to fix them (still has one in his garage somewhere) and us kids got to play with, uh hmmm, "diagnostically test them" for him to know what/how/when things went wrong so he could fix them! I got real good at splicing that pink paper tape too! LOL

Remember how TV pictures would either roll horizontally so the picture moved as if it were on a rolodex, or the vertical break up? There were buttons you had to fiddle with to get the problem to stop. Lucky was the family that had a TV antenna (remember those?) mounted on a rotor so it could get the best signal possible. And I remember how a TV repairman came to our house to fix the set using an assortment of tubes, something I thought bordered on witchcraft.

There is still a shop in NYC that sells vacuum tubes. Seriously. I used to watch my dad testing them, and I had an old stereo receiver that used them. I happened to be passing the shop a few weeks ago, and it's still there, and still has the tubes and a tube tester! :D

What kind of stereo did you have that required tubes? Was it one of those old all-in-one beasts that also passed for furniture?

I remember in high school when the Sony cassette Walkman, complete with the 2 D-cell batteries was really cutting edge cool, and then the super high tech CD players came out. Now things change so fast, I've more or less thrown in the towel as far as keeping up with things. I stick with a few programs and tech toys I'm familiar with, and I wave bye-bye as Progress roars passed and leaves me in a cloud of dust. The way my brain functions, it's probably inevitable that I let you geeky folks figure things out on the tech side, and then hopefully dumb them down to be idiot-proof for those of us unable to keep up with the changes, and you chase the latest wave of new stuff.

I will say in my own defense, I'm pretty good with things like MS Word (Duh! I'm writing and posting here) and Windows 8, and I have a Kindle, but I'm only limping along trying to grasp all of the various ever-changing new tablets and phones out there. It makes the circuits (which aren't much different than the solid state ones that ran the first tubeless tech toys) in my brain sizzle and burn out.

Something to chew on: More and more people are living -- and living robustly -- passed 100. Imagine all of the changes they've lived through. It's astonishing when you really ruminate on it.

Edited by Letoria

Mine was one of those kits that let you build your own stereo receiver. I want to say it was a Phillips, but that may be wrong. Anyway, my dad built it, and when my sister and I got our first apartment alone, he gave it to us, along with two huge speakers and a turntable. We were definitely cool. :D

I'm no audiophile, but the quality of the sound on those older stereos you patched together was so much richer, and each one seemed to have it's own idiosyncrasies and personality. My dad was an electrician, but he wasn't the type to build stereos; his thing was hand sewing shoes (I didn't get stereos, I got shoes). I came around at the tail end of the generation where building a component stereo was the only way to go if you wanted high quality stereo sound. I think digitally produced music loses something as far as personality and depth are concerned. I was never exposed to music on those old tube stereos, but I'd bet it was even more pronounced with them. It's good to see there's a thriving subculture keeping analog music alive.

there are still all my old Kenwood components in my mom's basement. My bro is using the Bose speakers. Still going strong, those things, 30 years later. I'll have to check, but I think he actually set it up so he can play the LPs that I left there as well. Tuner, equalizer, turntable and subwoofer. :D

Honestly. I miss the hisses and pops from an older, much-loved, well-played LP. I still have all my old LPs, and thinking about it, it must have been a Zenith then that my dad used.

I gave the receiver to an audiophile buddy years ago, and at last report, it was alive, well, and glowing nicely.

And I still have an analog tv, picture tube and all. I watch the damned thing so seldom that it won't die, and I'm not replacing it until it does. :D

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.