Click Here!

Court Finds Fantasy Stories Obscene

JayDee

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130505/14372422951/court-finds-fantasy-stories-obscene.shtml

Just recently a federal district court in Georgia ruled that a series of stories written or edited by Frank McCoy were obscene, and thus he violated 18 USC 1462 in "transporting" obscene works. McCoy challenged whether or not the stories themselves could be considered obscene. As you might imagine, the subject matter is not mainstream. It is definitely on the extreme. Just reading the descriptions from the court case, which I will not repeat here, made me cringe and feel extremely uncomfortable. We're talking about extremely taboo subjects that are somewhat horrifying even just to read.

But, again, one could argue the same sorts of things about Lolita, or any number of other works. Should they, too, be deemed obscene? It seems like a dangerous slippery slope, especially when we're talking about purely written material. In this case, McCoy even had a distinguished English professor testify on his behalf that the works had "serious literary, artistic, political or scientific value."

Bolding mine. Judge disagreed. Check out the rest of the article, or link to court ruling

Will this as a federal court ruling affect adult-fanfiction.org?

I expect with this being a first amendment thing, that this may very well go up higher than this, as it's currently at a state level, even though in Federal Court. Worst case scenario, I could see us having to put age limitations on posted content.

The problem is the content itself, and ages of characters WITHIN the content. That's what the case is about.

Jailing people for molesting fictional characters is seriously fucked up. I wonder if we're heading into a new dark age...

Damn book burners will be the doom of us all...

Edited by Tigro Spottystripes