Click Here!

Nice to know ignorance isn't limited to the USA.

quamp

This one will probably get me into huge trouble here, but...

Story here

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Most Canadians know so little about their own country that they would flunk the basic test that new immigrants are required to take before becoming citizens, according to a poll released on Friday.

Nice to know American schools aren't the only ones failing the people they serve.

Only 4 percent knew the three requirements a citizen had to meet to be able to vote while only a third could correctly identify the number of provinces and territories. Just 8 percent knew that Queen Elizabeth II is the head of state.

Well, it's just another sign that the world is becoming more like the USA... maybe.

....I don't know anything about citizenship tests. I couldn't even make it through high school LMAO!

That's what local community colleges are for wink.gif

And high school? Ugh! Don't even get me started on the subject! The way kids are being taught needs to be re-hauled and the teachers need to evolve the way they're educating! dry.gif

I am actually in the minority I suppose. I know all the provinces, and the territories (even the new one!) and as some of my family has moved here recently, I am aware of what it takes to get into this country.

Yes, the education system needs a makeover... a big one. But, the question is, once one is out of the system, do they stop learning? How many Canadians think there are still only two territories? *sigh* It's a problem everywhere, not just here and in the US. People, in general just don't care to learn anymore. It's not "cool" to know anything. Well, if being "cool" is being an ignorant asshole, or an airheaded tramp, count me out!

I already took an actual citizenship test and passed it "with flying colors" (evaluator's words, not mine) two years ago. Do I have to take it again?

I've also taken mock U.S. citizenship tests and have passed every single one of them.

Then again, I always paid attention in school and did well AND I listen to the news, so I'm not a typical statistic, am I?

*whew* For a while there, I thought everyone would be like "How DARE you say that Canada's education system sucks as much as the USA's!! angry.gif"

I think the underlying cause of that is that things are starting to be done not on how well something works, but how well-connected one is to the leaders. Corruption and cronyism are guides on the road to ruin.

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

Ugh... pinch.gif Countries need to stop expecting foreigners to know shit most of their own, born and bred, citizens don't know. Whether this means making the tests easier or uping the standard of education, it needs to be done.

I can just see it now...

Official: What's the capital of Canada?

Dumbass: Umm... Toronto?

Official: I'm sorry, you're too stupid to remain a Canadian. Get on the boat.

I was thinking more along the lines of you're asked to do a re-test. If you fail the second time, this is what happens:

"I'm sorry, but you have failed the test. In order to rectify the situation, you are being offered a cross-country road trip!"

"I don't want to go on a cross-country road trip."

"I'm afraid that isn't an option. Get in the car!"

And the people are driven all the way to the Northwest Territories or Alaska. They will be given a re-test. Those who fail yet again are then put on a ship to the North Pole.

I'd only throw in the re-tests because if I didn't there'd be an uprising against the government and we can't have that.

A cross-country trip can be educational. Those who learn something about the country could be salvaged - the rest would be hopeless.

Long, never-ending road trips are a rather effective form of torture. They've got better torture success rates than boat trips. The final boat would be the straw that broke the camel's back.

I'm also envisioning unusually long hiking trips every time they ask for a break to get out of the car. Eventually they'll beg for the car again.

Still not your cup of Starbucks?

I will agree that cross country road trips are an effective form of torture (one I endured every summer of my childhood pinch.gif). But no. If you can't name the capital of your country, and the provinces/states and in Canada anyway, the capitals of those provinces (I mean come on, there's only ten provinces, and three territories!!), you don't deserve a second chance!

But that's just me. smile.gif

Fuck this bureaucracy shit!

I don't care if the people rebel against the government for being unfair. I'm not gonna give them a re-test. Just plain shove them into the car. It's what I wanna do anyway.

And those who don't like it can leave the country - either the easy way or the hard way. devil.gif

Have we reached an agreement? smile.gif

But think of the poor polar bears if they went to the Artic, they'd never get any sleep... although I do think they'd probably get a fuck of a lot fatter devil.gif

Wait, wait, wait... if everybody went to the Artic then wouldn't they drown 'cause of the melting up there?(which might not be such a bad idea think.gif )

OR!

Throw the 'em all on a curise ship, send them to international waters and drop anchor XD