Click Here!

So, snogging, how do you write it?

LockedBox

Ok, snogging. We all do it and we all know a bit about it, but how on earth do you write it?

I've read through lots of fiction, and written up a long list of stuff I should never try and a short list of things that I can.

I've read guides and I've tried my best to go through action-reaction and to write lots of good description.

But I still just look at some of the stuff I've written today and think that's its way too cheesy, or that all the descriptions and actions are distracting from the fact that they're trying to eat each others tonsils.

So how do you write a good snog? I don't mean a "kiss the bride" type of snog I mean an honest to goodness "When I'm done I'm gonna screw you through the floor" kind of snog, with lots of nipping and moaning going on accompanied by vivid description about what various tongues are doing and where peoples hands are going.

How on earth do you write that sort of thing without it being vulgar or cringe worthy? is it even possible?

I'm very interested in the way you guy's do this. Posting a good guide or copy pasta-ing a good snogging scene here for me to read would be much loved, but please be sure to credit it properly.

I find it's best to involve as many senses as possible - smells, textures, temperatures, tastes, sounds. The less important a sensory detail seems, the more it adds to the experience.

Another major key is to avoid focusing too much on just the mouths, lips, and tongue. During a heavy 'snog,' there's plenty else going on w/ the rest of the participants' bodies - hands roaming, groins rubbing, etc. Expanding your focus beyond just the oral orifices lets you (as a writer) explore your characters' bodies through the lens of your characters' perceptions, which gives you not only a chance to have some sexiness, but also to showcase how your characters think and feel.

Externally, a good rule of thumb is that if a scene turns you on while you're writing it, you're on the right track.

I'll second DrunkenScotsman here. Snogging is a full-body experience for me, both personally and as an author. Jaw-nibbling, ear-nipping, fingers tangling in hair, and so on... It's the opening gambit of foreplay, and really does set the tone for the way the encounter will go.