Click Here!

Guilty Pleasure Musicals

NightScribe

We all have them, a guilty pleasure; something we don't like to admit to liking, fearing the eye roll or "you've got to be kidding!" response. Do you secretly love The Sound of Music? Had you wished you got a chance to see the biggest flop in recent memory Carrie: The Musical? Are you a guy who got dragged to Wicked and are too embarrassed to 'fess up to enjoying it?

My guilty pleasure: 1776. Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for 18th century men's fashion. Maybe the songs were too damn catchy, but I liked it. And I learned more about the squabbles, compromises, and politics surrounding the drafting of the Declaration of Independence from that play than any class in school. Go figure.

... blink.gif I have to pick one?? laugh.gif

Most of my favorite musicals can probably qualify as guilty pleasures, as I am a huge fan of the classics. It may not be as cultured as saying I love Sondheim (which btw, I do!) or Kander and Ebb (again, love!) but stuff like Guys and Dolls and Kiss Me, Kate... well, their classics for a reason!

But for a real guilty pleasure, I'd have to go with... *shiver* Les Miserables. It's horrifying to many of my friends, but I love it. I could just sit and listen to the soundtrack for hours... and I always cry when Fauntine dies... and at the end. blush.gif

So, yeah, my guilty pleasure is really only a guilty pleasure because it's so mainstream! laugh.gif

Most of my favorite musicals can probably qualify as guilty pleasures, as I am a huge fan of the classics. It may not be as cultured as saying I love Sondheim (which btw, I do!) or Kander and Ebb (again, love!) but stuff like Guys and Dolls and Kiss Me, Kate... well, their classics for a reason!

KMK (I love Cole Porter) and G&D, I like both of them and you're right, they're classics for a reason. Kander & Ebb capture jazz so well and Sondheim...well, I know it's been said about a million times, but genius.

Le Miz! *shudder* ohmy.gifwink.gif

Hey, do you think we'll be the only two posting in here? laugh.gif

Guest Adara

Man...where to start...lol,

The Sound of Music

Grease

The Phantom of the Opera

Les Miserables

I know there's another...it just isn't coming to me just yet. tongue.gif

Absolutely!!! laugh.gif That was my favorite episode ever!! I actually have the soundtrack on CD. blush.gif

So do I. blush.giflaugh.gif

I really haven't started exploring Opera's yet, but I plan to. Any suggestions where to start?

How about for the kiddies?

Nan, as far as operas, I think The Barber of Seville (Il Barbiere di Siviglia) by Rossini is a good place to start. It's a funny story and the music is pretty bright and bubbly throughout, a lot of it is recognizable from commercials and old Bugs Bunny cartoons. There's a slew of recordings out there and that's where it gets tricky; it depends on whose voices you like. EMI classics has a recording that's my favorite for sheer energy level; you can hear the performers acting, they're not just singing it. If you decided to check that version out, look for the combo CD/book published by EMI Classics Black Dog Opera Library. It has the entire opera on two CDs and the Italian lyrics with a very good English translation. It was only $20. Kids might get into it because of the fast pace. There's a DVD of a live performance with Cecilia Bartoli, David Kuebler, and Gino Quilico that's pretty good; it wasn't some modernized version, it was traditional, so it plays well, very funny.

For something heavier, I also highly recommend Mozart's Don Giovanni with Eberhard Wächter, Joan Sutherland, and Luigi Alva. It's quite long, at times serious, and there are some very slow arias, but the music is beautiful, as are the voices (especially Sutherland) EMI Classics Great Recordings of the Century.

Hope that helps. smile.gif

Pagliacci is one of my favorites.

I consider The Simpsons to be one long musical in itself. I wouldn't say that the musical episode is my favorite, but I do enjoy watching the characters break into song constantly (except maybe Marge). They've come up with some really catchy tunes throughout the years. Some of my favorites include See My Vest, The Spring in Springfield, The Fritz Schnackenpfefferhausen Bratwurst song, Who Needs the Kwik-e-Mart?, Tito Puente's Revenge, and One, Two, Tie Your Shoe.

ETA: I also like the song New Orleans.

Edited by EveKnight75

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.