Click Here!

Question about Reno

Squallfan

This has been curious to me since I started reading fan fics with Reno. In a good 80% of the fics I've read, he's always saying 'Yo' Could someone enlighten me about this. I've played the game several times, (playing it again at the moment in fact) I've watched Advent Children several times (English version), and I don't remember him EVER saying that. Could someone please tell me what I'm missing. On a side note, it doesn't bother me when he says it in fics, but he doesn't say it in any of mine)

Because at the end of every sentence he says "zoto" which is sort of like saying Yo, trying to sound cool. Think of Chi chiri from Fushigi Yuugi he always nando at the end of every line, trying to be formally polite. Reno's lines are recited and written the same way.

Is that in the Japanese language version of the game and movie, because I don't ever remember him saying 'Zoto' either. LOL.

He says it in both the Japanese version. In the Japanese game it is written in Katakana (the written form used for non Japanese words), and all our friends said it is a way to sound tough like saying Yo.

It is possible it doesn't mean anything and is just something tough people like to say. A lot of American kids in gangs say yo all the time, which is probably why they think that is why it is similar yo.

The thing is he doesn't use the Kanji Zoto (which means gift giving) in the context of the definition. If you look up other variants like. Unless he is trying to state he is present, and making a play on Japanese the way some make on English, you can have present and be present for an event at the same time. The one Kanji with the Ramanji sound of Tsuto you get this a variety of definitions: rush; firm, enduring; to burst forth, which it could be... but the same Romaji can be done in a different kanji and mean this: sackcloth; female hemp plant

'zoto' appears to be one of those fun Japanese words that doesn't really translate into English in any proper manner. A fansub translated it into 'yo' when AC first came out and it just kinda spread from there (or so the story goes). Incidently, a different fansub translated it into 'ya know'.

according to my Japanese friends it doesn't have a real meaning it is just something you say to sound cool, and usually used by punks. I have been asking over the last couple of days and this is the continuous response I have gotten. Tsukasa Kotobuki uses it in his manga to emphasize the wanna be cool kids in a group, or someone who is flashy.

Okay I feel better.

Zoto does mean something.

It is Yakuza slang and it is basically like "giving someone your fist". As in you're about to beat them up. The equivalent of growling after every sentence.

Not all Japanese use this term correctly as it is a private slang term for a mafia type group. Much like a lot of Americans will use several English words incorrectly without knowing what they for just because they hear others using them.

Ingo is what the Yakuza call their own slang terms just as how the Mafia in the States refer to themselves as La Costa Nostra.

For example in Ingo, an Unagi (eel) is a second story man while an usagi is a runner.

Linguistics gets really difficult when you get into slang terms, especially when certain groups use their code for those said words.

ohmy.gif Holy crap, thank you oishii! That is some unbelivably awsome info.

So...

Now how will this affect my writing...?

May just start cutting out the 'yo' more, though i have to admit it never manifested all that much in my dialogue for Reno (compared to some stories I've read. dry.gif )

I don't use it at all in his dialogue in my fics. Just never saw the need for it, but as I said before, it doesn't bother me to read it in other fics. thumbsup.gif

Guest kirameki
ohmy.gif  Holy crap, thank you oishii!  That is some unbelivably awsome info. 

So...

Now how will this affect my writing...?

May just start cutting out the 'yo' more, though i have to admit it never manifested all that much in my dialogue for Reno (compared to some stories I've read.  dry.gif )

I like your fics. And you don't throw it in our faces constantly. I don't mind it used on occassion when it fits a scene. I actually think it's kind of cute in a wierd Reno way. wink.gif

But now everytime I see yo I will be thinking of it as Reno's own personal passive aggressive "grrr". XD I'll never view it the same way again. Heh.

Reno the Gangsta. Heehee. laugh.gif

Guest kirameki
Iggy's Reno fics are awesome anyway, yo! laugh.gif She writes Reno perfectly.

So true. Which reminds me I don't think I've reviewed them yet. I read them right before I had to leave for work the other day and ran out of time. think.gif

I shall correct this immediately. hug.gif

blush.gif

Flattery will get you everywhere.  Hehe. 

Now I really must finish those "Strange Bedfellows" one-shots I started over X-mas..... 

And here I said in my review of that story that "there doesn't seem to be much room for a follow-up." Shows what I know. laugh.gif

I've read them and I love them *scratces head* I'm hoping I reviewed them - if not I will go back and do so. As far as Yo goes - I've used it once or twice but more because I couldn't think of anything else. Personally I always thought Reno was more of a kid who had his own thoughts and way of speaking that tended to get him in trouble and he loved it. But Yo always sounded more at home comming out of Zell's or Raijin's mouth. "ya know"?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.