Click Here!

He Cut The Trans Fat, He Must Be The Anti-christ!

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

So, as anyone in NYC (and likely outside of NYC) may already know, there has been a law put in place making it illegal for resturants within the city to serve food with Trans Fats (which are, apparently, the "bad" fats. They're very yummy tongue.gif ). This now has my mother calling Mayor Bloomberg the Anti-Christ. Here's why I sorta agree with here: The Anti-Christ apparently starts out as a figure that everyone follows without question. They acheive this blind flock by setting up rules and such that ultimatly help man-kind, however, all of these things are in the end ways of controlling the masses (Censorship, eliminating recreational drug use, getting rid of trans fats in resturants, curfews and the like). There is rarely anything done that would help people in a ways that can be seen as purly altruistic (Better healthcare, more affordable transportation, blah blah).

Add this to the fact that the guy has assloads of money and has a fingre dipped in nearly every lucritive industry he knows how to control, and you have yourself the recipe for a megalomaniac bent on global dominiation.

At the same time, the same can be said about any successful politician with a seat of considerable power (Mayors of major cities, Governers, senators, and what have you...)

I simply found this slightly amusing and thought to share. thumbsup.gif

Trans fats aren't the tasty fats, saturated fats (which are also a type of bad fat) are the tasty fats. Basically what I think they're doing is forcing restaurants serving food in fryers to use sunflower oil. My father's restaurant changed over over two years ago (a New York Fries franchise, which is weird to be based out of Toronto...) anyway, the change only caused and increase in sales and profit, there is almost no change in taste and lastly those with wheat, peanut or other more common allergies get to share in the still very fattening (in fact more fattening) goodness.

Now if they're outlawing all transfats by making the entire state vegetarian, then yes, he is the anti-christ.

Idon't know that I always diapprove of these Big Brother laws. The one that they passed in California saying that no one can smoke in pulbic buildings - hell, I'd love for them to pass one like that here. I am allergic to cigarette smoke, and it pissses me off that smokers can smoke in front of me and pollute the air I breathe. Is it just me or are people who smoke extremely rude? This is their voluntary vice, yet it becomes mine too when they don't take it outside or wait unti lthey get home. Sorry I'm venting, but this is kind of a sore spot for me.

We have a similar law in Nova Scotia, it's been around for over7 years now. In fact I suffered culture shock when I ended up in Fort McMurray for four months and people smoked everywhere.

Guest Big Samurai

Mr. Bloomberg might be happy to know that all public smoking has been banned in Ohio. As for the trans fats, I imagine those will not be too far behind.

no.gif

I'll never get why they call it NY Fries. Montréal Fries, I might have understood, seeing as how the most popular thing they have is poutine. The gravy and cheese curds kind of cancels out the whole trans-fat thing, doesn't it?

I also never figured out why New York cheesecake has the rep it does until I moved out of NYC and ended up living in Toronto (does that make me a prime authority to judge how "New York" the fries are in Toronto?)

Let's steer back to the topic. It would be nice if all restaurants made food healthier without compromising on taste. Still, I'm not sure I approve of the new law. If anything, it should be mandatory for restaurants to have sunflower oil available in case someone requests it. People should have a choice to consume trans-fat, but they should also have the choice to have saturated fats when dining out.

Either way, I'm not sure it would hurt people who eat out often to have saturated fats cut out of their diet. Not with the obesity rates in North America at present.

Guest lightgoddess

Actually, I think that the NYC law against trans-fats is only the first step in forcing health on people. WTF does it matter if we are getting fat and gross and unhealthy?? When is it the governments perogative to tell us what to eat?? Guess what, bacon grease is like, the best seasoning ever! Yeah, if you eat it every day all of your life, you'll die at 30 from a coronary or stroke, but you will have eaten some of the best food ever. laugh.gif Don't force me to be healthy. If I have to stop eating out to get my trans-fats, saturated fats, processed sugars, and ice cream fixes, then I will. I'll just cook the stuff at home and stop spending money in your restaurants. That's the way I see it.

As far as smoking in public buildings, Arkansas just passed a law ragarding it, too. Meh. I rarely smoked in restaurants anyway, except for the Waffle House at 3am. I think that smokers (who have just as much right to smoke as non-smokers have to not want to be around the smoke) should certainly be more aware of those around them in public and be curteous enough to put it out if someone asks, or leave. Just like the government shouldn't force 'health' on people, smokers shouldn't force their smoke on others. thumbsup.gif

I actually love the no smoking in public buildings law. It effects more then just you when you smoke, it's harmful to anyone in the same room as you. It's one thing with the Trans-Fats when you're only hurting yourself. But with cigerette smoke, you're causing other's harm.

My issue with the whole Trans-Fat law is that is seems to impede upon your Constitutional rights. Your rights end were another's begin which is why I'm okay with the Smoking laws now. However, the Constitution basically says "Do what you want unless it hurts someone else." Well, my being fat doesn't hurt anyone but myself (though, there are people who seem to think fat people are being rude simply by being fat and not fitting into that person's ideal of beauty. Special...).

Also, I love me some beacon grease!