Click Here!

A few simple suggestions...

AccioLucius

Here are a few simple things I think would do wonders for the site:

*Section for Author's Notes

It's easy to look over these when they are stuck in with the chapters.

*Reply to Reviews

I'd like to be able to thank people for reviewing or answer questions without having to include replies in author notes to added chapters.

*Favorite Stories and Authors

So we can keep up and revist what we love.

*Alerts

So we can be notified of updates and new chapters of stories. Maybe also Author Alerts along with Story Alerts. That way we can be notified if our favorite authors have started a new story.

*Advanced Text Entry

I always copy and paste my updates into the text entry section when I upload new chapters. I would like to see something more advanced, so we don't have go back over our work and write coding into it.

Author's Notes:

Are allowed up to 600 characters, within the story/Archive.

Reply to Reviews:

Are directed to the forum. Please click the link at the end of every chapter which reads, "Discuss this story." Authors are strongly discouraged from using their own review boards or Author's notes for discussing their stories with readers, hence, the "Discuss this story," link directing everyone to the Forum.

Favorite Stories and Authors:

There is a whole section dedicated to recommended reading under each person's user profile in the Archive just for this purpose.

Alerts:

Are the responsiblity of the individual authors. I suggest the Forum, email, or the newly created Twitter function (which I have no clue how to use.)

Advanced Text Entry:

Cannot be supported at this time. Any advanced text functions an author would like to include need to be done by the author in whatever format they choose to use.

It's actually not permitted to use the review board for story discussion.

Information on the Twitter thingie can be found here (thank you, Apollo)

How to code your recommended reading (within the AFF archive) can be found here (thank you, DG)

We're not trying to downplay your suggestions; on the contrary, these are items that I'm of the understanding are under discussion for whenever new software can be coded for the archive. Just please try to remember that the archive software is older than dirt (technologically speaking, you could probably combine the ages of all the staff and come up with the equivalent of the age of the software, in terms of electronic age). As such, it simply doesn't have this capability.

Here is the sub-forum where news is posted on all upgrades with the archive. We do appreciate suggestions. Just please be patient with us as the entire thing has to be re-written, and no one suggestion is something that can easily be implemented when you're talking about a DB that's over 7GB and growing hourly.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.