Click Here!

SHAME on James Patterson!

So I'm watching a movie I had recorded off TNT Saturday and an ad for James Patterson's newest book. I've always enjoyed his Alex Cross series to I actually watched it instead of fast forwarding only to hear the following words from his mouth: "Buy this book or I'll have to kill off Alex Cross. Its very good by the way..."

*head thunks* Really Mr. Patterson? You are a New York Times Bestselling author! Do you really need to sales whore to sell books???

So with out further ado, here is the letter I wrote to conform to the 600 character count. Feel free to use it for your own letter!

Contact Link for J.P

Mr. Patterson,

I saw the commercial today for your new book & I am very disappointed in you! You, a NYT Bestseller, resorted to the lowest of behaviors – “If you don’t buy my book I’ll kill off the main character.” I lost respect for you after seeing that. It doesn’t matter if you meant it in jest, that type of behavior is unacceptable from a published author like yourself. It’s not accepted on major amateur fiction sites, so why should it be acceptable for you? Shame, shame, shame. I’m going to have to truly consider if I want to even bother reading any more of your books.

Sincerely,

>< I guess he doesn't feel like he has enough money or something. I don't find this a joke or funny! :angry:

what a tard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep I saw that commerical too and I thought he was a total douche. But I'm still buying the book for my mom for xmas cause she really loves Alex Cross. :P

• 1 month later...

Yep I saw that commerical too and I thought he was a total douche. But I'm still buying the book for my mom for xmas cause she really loves Alex Cross. :P

As a reminder for readers distracted by the holidays, it would probably work as an ad. However, as a marketing ploy to tempt mew readers it fails utterly.

• For people who don't buy many books, it does make the author lame and far too likely to resort to cheap stunts in the story too.
  • For non-readers, it's boring. A couple local actors with an interesting scene would hook new readers better.
  • Foe mystery fans who don't know the series, it doesn't say anything that says why this is a good mystery. Like AC wakes up on a dinghy in Lake Michigan with a body.
  • And for people who like series fiction, the author is saying that the series is ending soon, no matter the sales, because the author doesn't give a shit about his creation anymore...

It's all about manipulation of readers and not about telling a good tale, capital "L" losers all around. There are so many other ways to advertise, without advertising these sleazy subtexts. :throwup: