Click Here!

Exact-duplicate author names in the Archive

FairySlayer

I don't like to add to the workload but this seems worth mentioning. I ran an author search for "JayDee" today and got three results, two of which were identical (though I understand that the author accounts names may be case-sensitive):

• JayDee, #1296777934 (the active one we all know and love on the Forum)
  • Jaydee, #1296877502
  • Jaydee, #1296878379

I used HexEdit on the page source and saw that the last two were identical, without one using a different code for one of the letters or some such. Both of the last two have different join dates and no stories published.

We do actually have numerous duplicate memberships in the archive, which, when DG has the time, she merges into one. Of course, they have to be confirmed first, because as JayDee pointed out, several people can have the same pen name. For example, we have about 10 Aaron / aaron 's in the archive. There're also a lot of "fire" and "angel" and "demon" and other common names like that.

And I did in fact confirm that the second two are dup accts

@JayDee - not a single one under DracosPosingPouch - but 14 under "Draco / draco"

Well, what I do to confirm the obvious dupes is search the db by email. Often, because the archive doesn't send a confirmation mail, people will think they weren't registered, and then REregister. Now, when they reregister with identical information, that actually causes them problems in trying to login and use the archive. I generally hear about those right away and from the users themselves.

In any case, as it's not the pen name itself that's unique, this is why you see many with an identical pen name.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.