Click Here!

Just A Bit Of Fiction Writing Advice

Guest arora

I figguer that if your looking at a writing advice thread, then you are looking for some tips to improve your own writing.

I know that i keep an eye out for helpfull tips even though i'm rather secure with my writing. i'm not going to say that its good, only that i like it.

the best advice i can give is to write in layers.

don't laugh.

Write out the bare bones of what you want to have happen in that chapter, not much more then an outline. (think nouns, people, places and things of importance)

Then go through and add in more details. (pro nouns, describe your people, hair color, 6 ft tall ect..)

Then go back through and add in the weather and other non people effects paying attention to environment. (the sun's out or its raining and how it effects the people in the story)

then go through and add in the finisheing details. this will help with the flow so that one thing leads to anouther and since you start with the basic plot line, its hard to get side tracked from the original idea.

also heres a hint for writeing your summery.

Don't give the plot away. say enough to get people interested but dont give away the ending.

i'm sure there's lot's o' good writers out there that have many vairied opinions of how to best write a chapter and i would like to hear them.

Guest lightgoddess

I freewrite. When I get into that zone, everything evolves rather smoothly, so I take it and go. It's almost as though I am watching a movie in my mind and relating the scene to the readers. That is how I write.

As far as advice, never be afraid to ask for help. Don't be afraid to ask questions, do research, and add your own perspective or theories to the research you do. Even if it's completely unlogical or absurd, it can spark some really good plots.

I free write as well, but I do have advice for people who do the same or wish to try to experiment in that sort of thing.

I've found that giving every little idea in my head a voice leads to a lot of unfinished stories. So really, when you're bitten by a plot bunny, feel free to feed it but don't feel like you need to bring it home with you. I wish I'd learned that sooner. A lot of the thoughts I'd had would have made a better one-shot or single scene rather than...Some drawn out story that i ended up ditching anyway.

By "us", I'll assume you mean women.  biggrin.gif

I have always believed that a good writer can find anything to write about.

no, that wasjust an analogy, lump-head! tongue.gif

"us" = writers/artists/people who use their imagination in ways never meant for the vault of heaven.

as for Red's intriguing comment: I'm not sure I know what that means, although the edges of my mind are feeling as if they are being gnawed upon.

I wonder if we have a set amount of stories within us?

Kind of like eggs in our ovaries or something.

Sometimes I feel like that when it comes to a fandom. It's like I can only go so far with it before I feel like I'm repeating myself or have exhausted every little idea in my head for said fandom/pairing/whatever.

But I can always write, whether it's fanfiction, or some kind of quasi-philosophical rant. I kinda need to or I get a little crazy. Gods help me if I fill up my notebooks before I get a chance to buy more. I've been known to write entire chapters on napkins in a fit of "oh-my-god-I-need-to-get-this-outta-my-head" madness.