Click Here!

Never!

Aserenity

Oh. My. Gods.

laugh.gif

Yeah, I would have to agree with you. Having seven piercings myself (not including two in each earlobe) I would always highly recommend getting something like that done by a professional. And not just because of the whole sterility thing (which should always be just a major concern when shoving a foreign object into your body), but they're usually pretty quick about it, so it hurts a lot less. Belly button piercings are the fourth least painful (not that I would know from experience sleep.gif ), but sticking a needle anywhere pretty much hurts.

So... I'm assuming you tried this yourself? huh.gif

I can only imagine that it would be quite experience, and one I wouldn't like to have.

Few of my friends have pierced their own earlobes, but I'm so unadventurous that I get my piercings and tattoos done by a professional. It might cost a little, but in my opinion it's well worth it because it's done by someone who really knows what they're doing, it comes with free, reliable advice in taking care of it and in the place I frequent, they give 50% discount on all jewellery for a piercing done there.

Hmm... belly button is fifourth least painful? Didn't know that. Haven't had it done yet, keep thinking about doing it but just can't seem to find the money. Either that or I find something I want more when I do have the money. biggrin.gif

I have my tongue and lower lip pierced. Tongue hurt more than the other. In fact when I had the lip done, I forgot about it rather quickly and so when it itched I automatically went to scratch it, I whimpered a lot. laugh.gif

Belly button is on to-do list.

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi
I'm just glad that I have a natural belly button piercing. I had an operation when I was a baby to remove my outtie belly button when it got infected, and one of the stitch holes never closed. Which is good ,since I got my ears piereced by a pro AND kept them really clean, but I still now have tiny abcesses in both ears. So I can't get them repierced ever. Not a surprise; most of my family seem to be allergic to everything but pure sliver. That's what my sister had to wear after her ears swelled up around her posts.

I have this lovely little scar running down my left earlobe from the second time I got my ears pierced because, aparently, I'm allergic to nickle. Nickle, is used to cut gold >< I'm also allergic to silver and copper, so I mainly where my stainless steel hoops. My right eaar is STILL not fully healed, and it's been MONTHS. The left one has been healed for a while.

Yeah, I'm allergic to nickle too. I can only wear sterling silver in my ears or those nickle free earings that are for "sensitive" ears. Luckily I can still wear gold rings. Although, they do turn my fingers black every once in a while.... wacko.gif

yesturday i pierced it myself...first with a soeing needle, then with a bulletin board pin and then with a saftey pin...and i posted this to just warn people to NEVER do it....its not even pierced anymore because i got scared and took it out...sooo not worth it...when i save up the money i'll get it done...it turned black sad.gif

Guest lightgoddess

If its turned black, that could be necropsy. You should probably let your doctor look at it.

As far as allergies, I've got you all beat! ha! The only kind of ear rings I can wear are gold ones (and it's not just because I'm some high maintenance bitch either! lol). Stainless ones, silver (pure or sterling), the cheap costume earrings, and even plastic ones make my ear lobes sore and they swell just a little. Then, the next day, the itch uncontrollably. dry.gif I can't even wear gold earrings with silver/stainless backs on them! blink.gif

Ironically, my stainless bellybutton ring hasn't given me a moments trouble. It even healed faster than my tattoo artist said it would.

Guest Enchanted Faery

okay, u have got to me out of your mind to try and do it yourself! I got mine professionally done! I had it for a year or so, but it kept getting infected so I took it out...I'm allergic to most metals except for gold (Like lightgoddess) it's still pierced but only the top part not the bottom part...heh heh! Anyway, it probably would be good idea not to do it yourself...PSYCHO! LOL biggrin.gif

If its turned black, that could be necropsy. You should probably let your doctor look at it.

okay now i washed it really good and disinfected it, so now its just a scab...whew...that was a close one...

Also to everyone...lol...beileve me I am aware of my stupidity...lol ohmy.gif

I knew this one amazing red-head who took a safety pin, pulled on her earlobe and pierced her ear right in front of me, then took it out. Not a hole, not a scratch. Not even red. If I hadn't seen it for myself, I wouldn't have believed the pin went through. She pierced her own eyebrow and gouged a "Life" Kanji into her ankle with a chicken bone (she heard about ancient tattooing techniques at school)

Okay...and my cousin is allergic to gold. When she had her ears pierced, she passed out. Her ears took months to heal.

As for me, meh, I heard a horror story of babies and hoop earrings and never wore them again. Even though my kids are old now. Then I began to fear the cold of winter, since any metal attracts cold, and makes whatever is on them frost-bitten, so, yeah...

No, really, I'm just too lazy to bother with jewelry.

As far as allergies, I've got you all beat! ha!  The only kind of ear rings I can wear are gold ones (and it's not just because I'm some high maintenance bitch either! lol).  Stainless ones, silver (pure or sterling), the cheap costume earrings, and even plastic ones make my ear lobes sore and they swell just a little.  Then, the next day, the itch uncontrollably. dry.gif I can't even wear gold earrings with silver/stainless backs on them! blink.gif

I'm in the same boat with the allergies... except mine are only 14 karat in the ears and 24 for necklaces and braclets (I break out in a rash around my neck if its anything else). I can't wear earrings with cheap backs on them either (oh, how that itching on your earlobes sucks!).

I tell people it's because I'm a high maintenance bitch, though -even though I'm the farthest thing from it. laugh.gif

Hmm... belly button is fifourth least painful? Didn't know that.

Well, maybe not. I think the list (from least pain to most) is something like: earlobes, eyebrow, nose, tongue, bellybutton, labre... after that you get into cartiledge piercings, which hurt the closer you get to your head (I almost blacked out when I got my tragus pierced) and then the various genitalia piercings blink.gif Of course, the pain varies by the person. I am fortunate to have thin skin happy.gif so my lip and tongue piercings didn't hurt and I bled very little.

Well, maybe not.  I think the list (from least pain to most) is something like: earlobes, eyebrow, nose, tongue, bellybutton, labre... after that you get into cartiledge piercings, which hurt the closer you get to your head (I almost blacked out when I got my tragus pierced) and then the various genitalia piercings  :

Now that surprises me, I would have thoguht that the tongue would hurt more than the belly button considering the amount of nerves and stuff in the tongue and also the fact that it's actually a muscle. Whereas the belly button is just skin.

As I said, my tongue hurt a lot more than my lower lip, mainly due to the fact that the lip is just skin. Mind you, I have odd reactions to anaesthetic anyway. The guy that did it used a lot of numbing stuff, but it didn't do anything and I felt the needle the whole time - that was a weird experience. Then there was all the blood, it's amazing how many tiny blood vessels there are in the tongue.

Now that surprises me, I would have thoguht that the tongue would hurt more than the belly button considering the amount of nerves and stuff in the tongue and also the fact that it's actually a muscle.

For the traditional, through the center piercing, it doesn't hurt that much because you are going between the two muscles that actually make up the tongue. There are only nerves on the top and bottom layer of the tongue in the center. If you get into fancier piercings (off center) then it hurts more because you're going through the actual muscle.

For the traditional, through the center piercing, it doesn't hurt that much because you are going between the two muscles that actually make up the tongue. There are only nerves on the top and bottom layer of the tongue in the center. If you get into fancier piercings (off center) then it hurts more because you're going through the actual muscle.

Sucks, my tongue is too short for me to actually want to risk a piercing there.Ugh... it sounds like a world of hurt. And almost everyone I know who got a tongue piercing went through a thing during the healing process where a green film covered their tongue. YUCK. Fuck that.

I'm terrified of needles. That's probably why I'll never get anything pierced or get an actual tattoo. Don't get me wrong - I actually think that they look cool in moderation. Meaning that I have to be able to view an entire patch of skin that's not tattoed or pierced on the person.

Mt fear is kind of odd - I'm diabetic so I have to take blood tests at a clinic every 2-3 months and monitor my sugar at least once a day. I have sensitive skin, deep veins and am a bleeder. Many lab technicians and nurses have trouble drawing my blood. When I test myself, I use the lowest setting and even then I feel sharp pain and it takes a long time for the bleeding to stop. I just suck on my finger for 10 minutes because I like the taste of blood. then have something chocolate afterwards. It dulls the pain and irritation of the needles and calms me down.

It's been years and I'm still scared shitless of needles. Go figure.

Still, if I could get a piercing anywhere it would be near the top rim of my ears and on my nose. I'm of Indian descent so I could actually get away with a nose piercing easily. I have no idea what I'd want for a tattoo. I'd want it on my lower back. I wouldn't want something cliché - that's just pathetic when it comes to permanent body art. It would have to be an image that expresses who I am as an individual, a permanent facet of my persona.

Meanwhile, I'm just gonna stick to henna paste and food coloring mixtures. Did you know that you could create henna results of any color that way? It's true! Just remember to put the mixture in a baker's squeeze-bag because toothpicks don't work that well when it comes to the actual sketching.

Back to the piercings - I only have my ears pierced with one hole in each ear. Thankfully I'm not allergic to any metals or plastics. Cheap fake gold/copper leaves weird green marks on my skin once I start sweating, but that happens to everyone (or so I'm told). Lucky me.

I wasn't afraid of needles until I was about... 7? And even then, I got over it quick. I had one nasty episode with one inexperienced nurse and it had me freaked out for a while. The woman couldn't find my vein, and when she stuck the needle in, she began MOVING IT AROUND UNDER MY SKIN to try and find the vein. pinch.gif Dumb bitch... pinch.gif

But now I'm pretty okay with them.

My sister's a bit... unique... when it comes to sharp pointy things. She was attacked by a dog a few years ago and when she was in the emergency room started to freak out when the doctors began stiching up area's she couldn't see. It was funny because the doctors kept saying "Look away, it'll be over soon." and she HAD to look to keep calm. happy.gif

I, personally, couldn't STAND looking when I had to get stitches for my elbow. Freaked me the fuck out.

And almost everyone I know who got a tongue piercing went through a thing during the healing process where a green film covered their tongue. YUCK. Fuck that.

Um, ew. I didn't get the green film thing... that doesn't sound particularly healthy huh.gif You do tend to get calcium buildup (really its plaque) on the jewerly if you don't take care of it. In reality, with piercings, its the healing process that's the worse because everything swells and hurts and is sensitive (well, the healing process and the clamp -that hurts worse than the actual needle). I have an Industrial (a barbell running through two piercings in the cartiledge of my ear) and I couldn't sleep on that side for a week.

Meanwhile, I'm just gonna stick to henna paste and food coloring mixtures.

I love henna! I'm not too sure I could get an actual tat, so henna is what I choose. Besides, you can change your mind every few weeks, have something different somewhere different. I currently have two on the tops of my feet (which would hurt like hell if you ever got a for real tattoo there).

Piercing and tattoos aren't for everyone. For me, they're not something I did to "express my individuality." I just liked the way they looked on me (and I was in art school, which may have had something to do with it -trying to be that "weird" art school kid in the family biggrin.gif ).