Click Here!

What Would Your Response Be?

bookworm51485

What would your response be or your first thought (as a writer or otherwise) if you read this in an author's note:

"also, look I knooow I go really fast in my stories but you’ll just have to deal with it! I don’t care! And I knoooow I get the names wrong sometimes and it’s a bit ooc, but if you don’t like that, then you’ll just have to either leave or keep your complaints to yourself. Lately I’ve been getting a couple of discouraging messages from my readers saying that I need to either slow down, that I’ve messed up the names, or some other things like that, and I don’t mind reading messages that have suggestions or a few constructive criticism , but I really don’t appreciate it when people just tell me my mistakes, if I have mistakes just ignore them, I really don’t care if you have complaints about the stupid little mistakes that really don’t make much difference. So if you have any complaints about like “You’re going to fast!” or “You kinda messed up the names and stuff,” or “I don’t think that you have this story right” yea shit like that really can piss me off and discourage me in my writing. I really like writing, it’s my best hobby, and I love getting mail from my fans who read, but I just do not care for people who tell me my mistakes that I already know about. I just do. Not. Care."

Well...letsee, upon seeing that author's note I would've immediately thought: "Okay, stupid fanbrat cunt. You don't care enough about the quality of your stories, I don't give two shits about reading them then." Then I would have promptly hit the back button.

Honestly, those types of messeges just make me so angry. She/he's not a terribly serious writer, imho. And yet she/he says that she/he loves to do it? I say again: Stupid fanbrat cunt. I understand that it's just fanfiction, but for god's sake, it's still writing and that's an artform.

So where did you find such a delightful little idiot?

Honestly? Who ever wrote that needs to seriously rethink writing. I understand its a hobby for some people, and yes hobbies are meant to be fun. But when you post a story where any one can read it, or sell it, or do what ever with it, so long as it becomes a public item, then it's no longer really your own.

People will read your work, and will want to enjoy it. This should be kept in mind when writing the story. Granted, it might be found by the wrong audience, at which point a different venue is needed. But when an author rejects criticisms, especially ones regarding facts about a fandom, all they are doing is ruining themselves. At that point, their stories become even worse then a 12 year old dyslexic (sic) writing Mary Sues. No matter how bad a story, you can at least earn some enjoyment MSTing it. But flaming back at the reviewers, because they pointed out your errors? Uncalled for.

The solution? Take your time. Slow down and pay attention, so there aren't as many mistakes to be corrected. Sure, an occasional grammatical error is fine, but when you constantly refer to Harry Potter as Henry Potter, you have a bit more then a small problem.

Well...letsee, upon seeing that author's note I would've immediately thought: "Okay, stupid fanbrat cunt. You don't care enough about the quality of your stories, I don't give two shits about reading them then." Then I would have promptly hit the back button.

Honestly, those types of messeges just make me so angry. She/he's not a terribly serious writer, imho. And yet she/he says that she/he loves to do it? I say again: Stupid fanbrat cunt. I understand that it's just fanfiction, but for god's sake, it's still writing and that's an artform.

So where did you find such a delightful little idiot?

I found the story at ff.net. I started reading it because I've had an urge to read HPNaruto crossovers and it was one of the only ones I found that I hadn't already read and that wasn't completely unreadable. I tried to point out some of the obvious problems I saw and she responded by telling me that it's her story and that I shouldn't try to tell her how to write her story and with that author's note.

First, that reads like a parody of an author's note, but as familiar as I am with idiocy, I'm not at all surprised that it isn't. Second, WTF? huh.gif I would suggest that this author write to her heart's content, take the hard copy, and set it on fire, because the world would be all the better for it. Oh, and fire has never once criticized someone's writing. That ought to encourage the little snot.

*ahem*

I feel much better now. Thank you, bookworm51485, for sharing.

I really like writing, it’s my best hobby, and I love getting mail from my fans who read...

Then I suppose she doesn't enjoy the mail for her illiterate fans. That's a fine way to alienate an entire demographic.

It's a free country, I suppose.

Perhaps the weight of many such criticisms are either going to break her or make her better. One way or the other. I think she'll leave. She seems the type that thinks its her way or the highway. The work belongs to the author until she publishes it.

If it were her child, and dressed it in a tawdry manner, neglected to wipe its nose and sent it off into the world, and people gave her strange looks and others said, "Is this your child?" in that depricating way, well, you'd think she'd be properly chastised, but no, people like that, who defend their tawdriness have their children taken away eventually, don't they? and then, they live a life of bitterness...

Did I take that a step too far?

Nah, another 20yr old turned 14...

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

Well... since I don't know the story or where it is exactly, I put my response here:

You wanna do what you want with your story? Gotcha! You wanna be able to write it how you want and I get that. HOWEVER, it's not a stupid little thing that doesn't matter. It's a HUGE thing that ALWAYS matters! One of the (many) things that makes a great story a great story is PACING the story. If it runs too fast, likely it's missing things like detail and the like that draw the reader in. If it runs too slow, the reader will loose intrest. The same goes for confusing your characters in the middle of writing. You can't write a paragraph using the name of one character when you really mean another. It's gets confusing for the reader and they'll lose intrest. Yeah, it's your story and you really only write for fun, but there has to be SOME reason you're posting this on this site. Archives like FanFiction.Net are here for writers to SHARE their work and get CONSTRUCTIVE critiques on their work. If you only want glowing reviews, say so. But don't say you want people to try and give you good writing suggestions then complain about them later on because they're not telling you what you want to here. That's not how the world works and is most definately not how the world of artists works.

Go ahead and use it if I want, though I'd rather be able to post it myself ^__^

"Okay, stupid fanbrat cunt. You don't care enough about the quality of your stories, I don't give two shits about reading them then."

Iggy, such language! (Wait, I'm still LMAO!) Okay, better now.

I have to agree with some previous thoughts. This person obviously does not want to grow and mature if she can't take concrit. They don't seem to care if they get characters' names wrong? That is just plain sloppy and lacks focus and dedication. I often refer to myself as a "hack" in jest, but in all honesty, his/her attitude is the true defintion of a hack writer. And to top it off, they've got one hell of an arrogant attitude.

God, Iggy, I'm almost thinking of using that quote in my signature. That slays me! laugh.gif

After ranting to myself for ten minutes about how much of a moron they i would leave a review and send an e-mail telling him that if he is aware of his problem than he should do something about it by either proof reading his work or getting hold of a Beta reader. both are very easy things to do and it only takes an extra ten mintues of your time when youve finihsed writing a fic. If it stops bad reviews then why resist?

It isn't just fanbrats who get pissed when you concrit their stories. There's a Big Name Fanfiction Author, who shall go unnamed, who gets all huffy at people who criticise her stories. Then her multitudes of fans (her stories gets thousands of reviews) flame the critics into oblivion.

It isn't just fanbrats who get pissed when you concrit their stories. There's a Big Name Fanfiction Author, who shall go unnamed, who gets all huffy at people who criticise her stories. Then her multitudes of fans (her stories gets thousands of reviews) flame the critics into oblivion.

I'm really curious who your talking about

Guest lightgoddess

I think I'd probably leave her a scathing review suggesting suicide so that she could put herself out of everyone elses misery. Then, I'd remind her that if she doesn't want people critizing her stories then she should write better.

I'm still kind of shaking my head over this.

yea shit like that really can piss me off and discourage me in my writing. I really like writing, it’s my best hobby, and I love getting mail from my fans who read, but I just do not care for people who tell me my mistakes that I already know about. I just do. Not. Care."

"I really like writing, it's my best hobby." They don't like it enough, as far as I'm concerned. We've all made little mistakes, a typo here or there, (which drives me crazy when I find something like that in my stuff), but that's a minor thing that readers are willing to overlook and understand that it happens. And I'll admit to having rushed some things, but know what? I learned to slow down.

I kind of wonder if this person views the writing/posting as some kind of contest or something. "I have to post another chapter right away, I've got to write another story, right away. I have to be fast." It's really kind of weird.

Actually, one has to wonder how this person would react if they submitted a story, written the same way they post (with big errors) to a traditional periodical or publishing house. The rejection letters would no doubt devastate them. I wonder if they'd start to care then?

OH.

MY.

GOD

I got ahold of the story and here's the review I left:

You said "ok also, look I know I go really fast in my stories but you’ll just have to deal with it! I don’t care! And I know I get the names wrong sometimes and it’s a bit ooc, but if you don’t like that, then you’ll just have to either leave or keep your complaints to yourself. Lately I’ve been getting a couple of discouraging messages from my readers saying that I need to either slow down, that I’ve messed up the names, or some other things like that, and I don’t mind reading messages that have suggestions or a few constructive criticism , but I really don’t appreciate it when people just tell me my mistakes, if I have mistakes just ignore them, I really don’t care if you have complaints about the stupid little mistakes that really don’t make much difference. So if you have any complaints about like “You’re going to fast!” or “You kinda messed up the names and stuff,” or “I don’t think that you have this story right” yea shit like that really can piss me off and discourage me in my writing. I really like writing, it’s my best hobby, and I love getting mail from my fans who read, but I just do not care for people who tell me my mistakes that I already know about. I just do. Not. Care."

You wanna do what you want with your story? Gotcha! You wanna be able to write it how you want and I get that. HOWEVER, it's not a stupid little thing that doesn't matter. It's a HUGE thing that ALWAYS matters! One of the (many) things that makes a great story a great story is PACING the story. If it runs too fast, likely it's missing things like detail and the like that draw the reader in. If it runs too slow, the reader will loose intrest. The same goes for confusing your characters in the middle of writing. You can't write a paragraph using the name of one character when you really mean another. It's gets confusing for the reader and they'll lose intrest. Yeah, it's your story and you really only write for fun, but there has to be SOME reason you're posting this on this site. Archives like are here for writers to SHARE their work and get CONSTRUCTIVE critiques so they can IMPROVE. If you only want glowing reviews, say so. But don't say you want people to try and give you good writing suggestions then complain about them later on because they're not telling you what you want to here. That's not how the world works and is most definately not how the world of artists works.

Your grammer and spelling is fine, you just need to learn to pace yourself. Otherwise, it's just a recounting of fictional events, not a real story. And at least READ OVER your work and make sure you got the names straight. The site isn't going anywhere and there's no real rush to get your work up. Of course your readers would love a new chapter as soon as they fiished the latest one, but don't you think you would draw a better fanbase with longer, proofread and well thought out chapters as apposed to these little chapter-ish things you're throwing out? I, for one, would rather read a story that only updated 2 or 3 times a year with long, beautifully written and well planned chapters that really pull me into the story and makes me truly feel the characters then something that looks as if you threw it up in 5 minutes that has a longer Author Babble then it does actually story.

Here's the shocker:

NOW THAT IS WHAT I CALL A REVIEW! ok, thank you so much, i have never got the pacing part down and i think this will help me, so thank you SO much. i have the same feelings about the flames and i really appreciate (sp?) you cheering me up! ARIGATO!! WE (blame the caffine!) muahahaha!

*Hugs!* Youko-chan

I think this chick is TOTALLY off her FUCKING ROCKER! She made it out as if I left her a GLOWING review. WHAT THE SHIT!?

I think you should leave her another review and tell her that you were saying she sucked. lol I bet that would make her day...

XD

Though, seriously, it did what it was intended to do: Make her understand WHY she needed to chang the way she wrote (never in my wildest dreams would I call that garbage a "style").

What I don't understand is that, while yes, my crit was informative and more or less polite, it was no more so then Bookworm's or anyone else's who chose to leave concrit. And yet, from what I can tell, I'm the only one who got a positive response from her. o_O

Well, don't I just feel special...

Likely, it just finally hit her what all the smart people where trying to tell her. Either that, or the language I used was on a low enough level for her to understand. laugh.giftongue.gif

God, Iggy, I'm almost thinking of using that quote in my signature. That slays me!  laugh.gif

Have at it! laugh.gif Er...yes, I'm sometimes known for having the tact of a rampaging rhino.

I know who you're talking about. And no...no...She shall go unnamed. The walls have ears you know.

I know who you're talking about. And no...no...She shall go unnamed. The walls have ears you know.

Now I really wanna know who your talking about.

XD

Though, seriously, it did what it was intended to do: Make her understand WHY she needed to chang the way she wrote (never in my wildest dreams would I call that garbage a "style").

What I don't understand is that, while yes, my crit was informative and more or less polite, it was no more so then Bookworm's or anyone else's who chose to leave concrit. And yet, from what I can tell, I'm the only one who got a positive response from her. o_O

Well, don't I just feel special...

Likely, it just finally hit her what all the smart people where trying to tell her. Either that, or the language I used was on a low enough level for her to understand. laugh.giftongue.gif

She bounces back and forth. Yesterday she sent me several messages going back and forth from nasty to nice-ish to nasty to nice. She sent me a last message claiming she never told her reviewers that I flamed her and that we should just let the whole thing go rolleyes.gif .

So I come to one of two conclusions, either she is insane or she's attempting to prove that she can in fact take constructive criticism because several people called her on it.

I know who you're talking about. And no...no...She shall go unnamed. The walls have ears you know. [/color]

Now I really wanna know who your talking about.

PM's don't have ears... I hope...

I wanna KNOW!

laugh.gif tongue.gif

She bounces back and forth. Yesterday she sent me several messages going back and forth from nasty to nice-ish to nasty to nice. She sent me a last message claiming she never told her reviewers that I flamed her and that we should just let the whole thing go rolleyes.gif .

So I come to one of two conclusions, either she is insane or she's attempting to prove that she can in fact take constructive criticism because several people called her on it.

...Disassociative Identity anyone?

I'm with pixagi and bookworm. I really want to know, too! Damn you for setting my curiosity ablaze!

PM's don't have ears... I hope...

I wanna KNOW!

PM? Pretty please?

As far as this other situation...quite possibly insane. I'm also curious about her work. Pixagi, could you PM me the link? I found your comment about the Author Babble being longer than the work itself interesting (I just want to take a look, seems like the concrit has already been left). If you don't want to, that's cool.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Enchanted Faery

WOW! If anything, she should correct her mistakes and thank the reviewers for pointing her errors out! Who wants to read a fucking story where the character's are wrong! After reading that A/N I wouldn't even want to waste my time reading her stuff, cuz obviously she doesn't care enough about her fics so if she doesn't care then neither do I. ohmy.gif

I personally am very skeptical of dissasociative identity disorder... but then again. I've only read what the text books tell Me.

On the Bipolar theory, nikolatesla is right. Somebody needs to shove more than a few miligrams of lithium down her throat every day.